The Official M10 2023 Freakout Thread

Only a month to go until March 10! :grin:

4 Likes

Technically 28 days, 4 weeks. Remember February is a short month :wink:

3 Likes

Ha! Any way to think about it as less time is good. If we thought about it in minutes that would be worse - 1440 minutes times 28 days is 40,320 minutes (give or take several hundred minutes to the actual release times). An eternity! :rofl:

1 Like

We received it.

Received what? Acceptance? Which school?

1 Like

exactly one month :broken_heart: super nervous

1 Like

I think they were referring to a BIPOC invitation from Taft.

Same here! Too late for us but heard that Groton is having a big push to get more middle class students in so they are looking to that admissions-wise this year? Info garnered from a friend who is middle class and child is also being looked at by a coach so who knows.

Groton has been “pushing for middle class kids” for a number of years now. What this actually means is that middle class kids are granted very good financial aid - better aid packages than you will get in college. It’s more about funding financial aid for middle class families.

P.S. be careful what you wish for

I would probably not send a third kid to groton if I had one. In fact my niece now lives with us and she is not applying to groton.

1 Like

Now that I’m going through the college process and talking with friends about it, I’ve actually noticed this is true for many boarding schools in general. Our college counseling office even sends out a guide saying “expect less financial aid from most colleges than you are getting right now.”

2 Likes

Thank you for that! While not taking anything away from Groton the word on the street I have heard is that it is a bit of a pressure cooker competitive wise between students. My S26 would not thrive at all in a place like that and wants a more balanced approach. Again - not to take away from Groton - it is just not for everyone.

1 Like

That will be interesting to see - we have two in college, one on the way to college and our 4th is the BS applicant for 10th grade. Fingers crossed all over that he at least gets some aid! Merit has been good at the colleges we have our children at but zero FA, and we are not a wealthy family by any means.

2 Likes

Yes. Definitely a pressure cooker. A few competitive kids but mostly the stress comes from pace and expectations in classes combined with intense grade deflation, not peers.

The pressure from peers is more around college prestige.

2 Likes

Well, we had our final visit at a semi-private local school last week and submitted that application today (rolling admission). And now I’m passing the time by pouring over school websites again and again… and again. And then reading CC forums about college recruiting for S25 to prep for what’s next… Thankfully, S27 is feeling relaxed and comfortable with where he is in the process right now. But for his parents? Ha - M10 can’t come soon enough.

3 Likes

So I am going to show how “green” I am - what is a semi-private school? I know public and private but semi not so sure…Thanks!

(I was wondering same thing, and I went to a boarding school! So maybe just regional or new?)

1 Like

In honor of this thread title, I want to say I am starting to freakout. Kid is calm though.

I am mainly worried about having to make a decision… running lots of scenarios in my mind! (Not helpful, I know, but I am a planner!) LPS is picking classes, right now, so on my brain to think about fall!

1 Like

Yes, my 8th grader had to submit her course selection for 9th grade a couple weeks ago. I told her to make sure she picked a good schedule she actually wants in case that’s where she ends up next year.

2 Likes

There are some schools established in New England called “Academies” that are very much public schools. Another term is “independent high school”

Loose description: These schools have a special “setup” but they receive money from the state at the same level as a typical local public high school, because that is exactly what they are, a public high school. These are not to be confused with charter schools. Their geographic radius usually encompasses as few towns around it. Those students use these academies as their local public school paid by tax dollars. These academies also have an application process that students who do not live in the “automatic towns” can apply. Often times outlying towns have several choices their town students can go to for school because their towns do not have their own HS. Tuition often times is paid by the student’s home district by an agreed upon rate or parents can pay if the towns do not have said agreement.

This isn’t to say this is what the poster is talking about, but I often hear people confuse these academy type public schools that I described as private because some people do have to apply. Much the same way people confuse a charter school as a private school.

1 Like

Ok thanks - I am from Massachusetts and know charter, public and private - academies is still a new one to me! Thank you