The Tours, The Journey and the Decisions moving forward

That’s fabulous news @vistajay !! We finally got good news this morning waking up in LA after a super fun jazz music house party last night with D’s Grammy band guitarist buddy. She got her audition confirmation from FRost! Last night was a great warmup for audition season. She jammed with musicians from Thornton, UCLA, Cal State, FRost and Berklee. What an amazing night of killer jazz!

Hi all, my son was accepted ED to Syracuse for SRT (Sound Recording Technology) in the Setnor School of Music. He is beyond thrilled. The school and the SRT program met all of his needs, so we decided that ED would give him the best opportunity and he got in! This was so much better than my daughter’s admission cycle for Musical Theatre a few years ago! Good luck to everyone still auditioning and waiting for good news!

Congrats, @SpartanDrew ! The jazz night sounds like so much fun!

Thanks @vistajay! D had a blast and made new friends and connections with these killer jazz musicians. They had 3 bands there and she sang at the end with her Grammy camp guitarist and his band. She is still giddy from the joy of the evening. I love musician kids. They are so open, warm and collaborative and all treated her like she’d been singing with them forever. They all exchanged social media and plan to stay in touch. The jazz world is a pretty small circle so I’m sure their paths will cross again. There were sax players, bass, guitar, drums, trumpets, even a flutist! I was blown away.

Congratulations @SpartanDrew ! I’m sure great things Are coming up. Enjoy the ride.

Happy New Year everyone!!! Well here we are sitting around and waiting AGAIN. We just booked flights to Miami which, given the current subzero temps where we live, can’t come soon enough!! Waiting still to hear from New School, NEC and Purchase. Hopefully we will hear soon so we can get travel booked before airfares increase again. Anyone hearing anything out there?

Here we go with audition season. D has her first audition on Jan 20 at Western Mich followed by Frost on Feb 9 then hopefully NEC, New School and Purchase all during the week of Feb 19 - 24. Then D is off to Memphis to reconnect and record with her Grammy camp band which sounds like a blast! And a likely revisit of Loyola in New Orleans the weekend after that. Crazy times. I sure understand the PTSD reference that a lot of you have made who have already done this.

Good luck everyone and break a leg!

Ooohhh…Western Michigan on Jan 20 sounds COLD to this dedicated Southerner. Bundle up! We have Loyola-NO Jan 20 then hit the road for something like 6 auditions in six weeks starting with a scholarship audition at UNC Jan 27. Crazy! UNC does not seem to be a talked about music school on here but it is such a great school overall and there are so few OOS scholarship opportunities there that I encouraged S18 to audition. So far he has avoided the winter cold, knock on wood. Good luck to your daughter, @SpartanDrew !

Thanks @vistajay same to you and your son. Yes it’s bitter cold here at the moment. Another reason I’m hopeful some of these southern schools pan out LOL. AT this point I’m hopeful we can get the rest of the audition travel scheduled and booked. 5 days in Miami right now sounds like heaven!

Just got the invitation to New School Jazz to audition! Prescreen #2 down. 2 to go…

Waiting for the last prescreen result (CSU Fullerton) and a few scheduling dates to be confirmed. However, we know she has at least four or five weekends in a row for traveling. Mostly sunny California and drivable, so no complaints.

D was admitted to Cornish today with a video audition. She also was admitted academically for the BM at San Fransisco State but still needs to audition. She is excited about both acceptances.

We had out of town visitors this weekend and one of them kept coughing. It is funny what can start to stress you now!

Oh man @BearHouse I just got the jitters hearing about being around a coughing friend! Yikes! Congrats on your D’s acceptances! Fantastic! So nice to have some solid options in the bag. I don’t think my D will have any more acceptances until March. Her schools all notify late as far as I can tell. Maybe Western might earlier but I kind of doubt it. She has already been academically admitted there but I imagine the music school does all of their admissions decisions at once like other music schools do.

I was given the best Christmas gift this year - a travel humidifier that takes a regular water bottle! I travel a lot for work and those hotel rooms are always so dry. But this is perfect for all of our travel for auditions for D. Also if you all aren’t aware, most hotels have humidifiers if you call and ask for one. I plan to do that when we are in hotels. I’m trying to book VRBO or AIRBNB wherever we can so we have either a home (in Miami) or an apartment (maybe NYC) with a kitchen and living area to spread out and relax. D is Vegan so that makes eating on the road a real challenge. Having a place with cooking facilities I think will help ease a lot of stress.

Traveling vegan really isn’t that difficult these days, or gluten-free for celiac, or for allergies for that matter. In fact, Whole Foods has become the new Golden Arches in terms of finding a safe, reliable place to eat anywhere in the country for those with food challenges or choices.

It depends on where you travel and how. We traveled charter over the holidays to San Diego. D had to pack food for a 5 hour flight because there was nothing on that flight she could eat. Thermoses, wrap sandwiches etc. Then traveling home with the same kind of food and trying to prep it in a hotel room, not so easy. Whole Foods wasn’t anywhere close by and the prepared foods that are vegan in grocery stores nearby the hotel were non existent. When we visited Loyola, it was nearly impossible to find her food. Even restaurants in NOLA don’t really have much for vegetarians much less Vegans. We couldn’t really find much at all on campus which is why we want to go back for another visit and get a better feel for what/where/how she will eat. Vegetarian is easy…vegan not so much.

S’s standbys: Thai restaurant, Chipotle, Subway can all be veganized.

Really? Subway? What does he eat there? I’ll let D know about that one…

We have two vegetarians, an omnivore and a type 1 diabetic who has to eat low carb. It is a mess when we travel. If we had to add vegan, I think I’d pass out.

My D was diagnosed with a vocal strain this morning and is on voice rest. Auditions start in 2 weeks. Any advice?

My wife and I have already caught her singing. She can’t help herself.

I believe he just gets the bread and a pile of vegetables on it. It’s either vegan or very close to it I think. It is for when no other choices appear since Subways are pretty common.

@BearHouse I died a little inside reading the post regarding food. Holy cow. I just asked my D about advice for vocal strain and she laughed and said she had none at all. She said “there’s nothing you can do”. Maybe @dramasopranomom has some advice? I think rest is critical. Don’t let her sing!!

D just got her invitation to NEC this evening. Yay! Only one left to go.

@BearHouse , hope your kid heals up quick! Everyone is getting sick down here! Everyone in the house has a cold, except S18. I am half hoping he gets it soon so he has time to recover before auditions start again.

We deal with type 1 diabetes (low carb is the key to relative stability), celiac in one person and multiple food allergies in another (dairy, nuts, soy, salmon, avocado, citrus, chocolate) and have no problems finding food. Think positive! When desperate, there are always potato chips :slight_smile: