The Tuscaloosa stores are stocking up to get ready for the onslaught of college shopping

<p>In the last couple of days I have been in Target, Walmart, Sams Club, Lowes and Home Depot. They are busy, busy, busy getting their displays up and shelves stocked with all the stuff for dorms and apts. There are a ton of good deals. </p>

<p>I’m sure other stores are equally busy. </p>

<p>You live in Tuscaloosa or are you shopping for your kids?</p>

<p>I think as head of Recruiting for Bama, it would seem logical she lives in or around Tuscaloosa. :smiley: </p>

<p>Although perhaps she should be, M2CK is not employed or affiliated with the UA as far as I know. She is a dedicated parent who volunteers her time here in that capacity. She is a tremendous asset to the UA any parent or student who is navigating the decision process is likely to appreciate and benefit from the knowledge she shares with them. I know we have. Thank you, M2CK. Am I wrong?</p>

<p>M2CK does not live in TTown, either. She is a wonderful resource for parents and students alike.</p>

<p>lol…no I dont work for the school.</p>

<p>However, we have now retired (semi-retired) and moved to the Tuscaloosa area a couple of months ago. Now managing our condos for Game Day Weekends, Campus visits, Move in, Graduations, etc. </p>

<p>@M2CK, is your condo available for graduation in May? I have some family coming from 2 hours away and would like to stay in Ttown since the ceremony is at 9 am. </p>

<p>^^</p>

<p>hi, sorry but both of my condos are already booked for May Graduation 2015. :(</p>

<p>Do you have a list of suggestions where they could stay? </p>

<p>I dont have a list, but have you checked the hotels to see if anything is still available? Graduation weekend books very early. My condos booked months ago for next year.</p>

<p>Oh my, didn’t know you had moved. We’ll miss you in North Alabama but glad you are in our other home, Tuscaloosa!</p>

<p>Ya’ll, mom2collegekids is awesome!</p>

<p>Thank you all for your kind words.</p>

<p>We love living in the Ttown area.</p>

<p>The new SUPE IS HUGE and they, likewise, are getting inventory ready. The Shirt Shop is bulging too.</p>

<p>This is the time, pretty much no matter where you live, to find bargains at big stores. Many stores have displays running down the center of aisles filled with stuff to furnish an apt or dorm. </p>

<p>“Dick’s Sporting Goods, Fresh Market, PetSmart and DSW Shoes are coming with the completion of the Shoppes at Legacy Park, a $62 million, 250,000-square-foot shopping center under development by Alumni Development & Construction LLC of Clanton.”</p>

<p>This is from the Tuscaloosa News. This is the shopping center going up on McFarland Blvd across from the Lofts at City Center. Previously Bed Bath and Beyond and World Market were announced as tenants.</p>

<p>Even better news is that they are targeting being open in time for next fall’s shopping season.</p>

<p>Is BBB going someplace else? We need a BBB.</p>

<p>I was at Target on Friday and Saturday…they were super busy. </p>

<p>If you order online for store-pickup, there is often an extra $10 savings for orders over $40! If you use a redcard, then you still get the extra 5% off…so that is significant savings! </p>

<p>(check online for items that have that extra $10 savings.)</p>

<p>Bed, Bath and Beyond is opening there too.</p>

<br>

<br>

<p>Alumni Construction & Development Co. will get the tax rebated for its the $62 million shopping center it will build at the corner of 13th Avenue and McFarland Boulevard — the site of the former Cedar Crest neighborhood that was destroyed by the April 27, 2011, tornado.</p>

<p>The 217,500-square-foot development will bring six new anchor stores — Dick’s Sporting Goods, Fresh Market, PetSmart, DSW Shoes, Bed Bath & Beyond and Cost Plus World Market — to the area with the completion of the Shoppes at Legacy Park.</p>

<p>With approval of the incentive agreement came an update on the project’s timeline. Alumni Construction is now required to begin construction by Oct. 1 and developers expect the project the be finished by October 2015.</p>

<p>“Come next Christmas, there will be a new place to shop in Tuscaloosa,” said Keith Owens of Alumni Construction & Development. “I believe Alumni Development has delivered on its promise to the city of Tuscaloosa.</p>

<p>“We’re doing everything we can to get the community energized about what’s coming.”</p>

<p>Prior to Tuesday night’s meeting, Jim Page, president and CEO of the Chamber of Commerce of West Alabama, said he supported the incentive package not only for the benefit of Alumni Development, but also for the future of the Tuscaloosa retail market.</p>

<p>“These new-to-the-market tenants will not only help keep sales tax dollars at home, but they will make the Tuscaloosa market more attractive” to retailers not currently here, Page said.</p>

<br>

<br>

<p>Oh, October. I thought they were going to target opening up in August to take advantage of the new semester shopping frenzy. </p>