The Ultimate Supply List for Boarding School

<p>gee, biggestfoot - you really know how to work the system! Doc's prescription to get by the "no fridge" rule and gadgets to bypass the internet shutdown. What other tricks do you have up your sleeve? :)</p>

<p>actually**</p>

<p>44 seconds
33 seconds
5 seconds grrr.</p>

<p>hhaha...you're welcome : )</p>

<p>Yeah, at my school the only people allowed to have fridges are the RA's (I'm an RA...having a fridge is soooooo nice). We're also definitely not allowed any gadget that will let us get internet when we're not supposed to.</p>

<p>Just thought I'd throw some insight in on the whole lights out thing.</p>

<p>At SPS there is no lights out, and the internet shuts off at 12, which I believe to be completely reasonable.</p>

<p>Only prefects are allowed to have fridges, unless you have a doctors note. However several kids have fridges that aren't prefects. They simply have to have a doctor write a note. There are many kids who have fridges for acne cream they used in sixth grade.</p>

<p>NMH does not allow mini fridges in the dorms as an energy-saving "green" move. We fully support it.</p>

<p>my older brothers are in different schools (being a "native" american helps) - they have passed on lots of wisdom.</p>

<p>Every school I looked at, the kids told me that doc note works (have to have your medicine)</p>

<p>I'm surprised that the Dr. note works for a fridge in your room when most schools have a common room and they have mini-kitchens with fridges that could easily have room for a few tubes of acne medication. </p>

<p>A word to the wise: "great" ideas to get around the system may sound great, but may not end up being so in the long run. Rules are for a reason. (yes, that is the mom in me talking.)</p>

<p>Linda - I was thinking the same thing. It doesn't seem like a good idea to go to a new school looking for ways to break the rules...</p>

<p>I don't know about other kids that already go to boarding school. But there is no way I'm leaving medicine or food in the common room fridge. </p>

<p>Seems there are a few "scavengers" throughout the dorm</p>

<p>I'm not sure, but the majority of your boarding school meals will be in the dining hall right? How often will you need to have food in the fridge anyway? If you do, why not invest in a roll of tape and stick your name on all of your snacks? Then noone can say they didn't know... My solution: Have snacks that don't require refrigerating (granola, fruit, nuts etc.) That stuff may end up being healthier anyway :)</p>

<p>Trust me, its always nice to have a midnight snack. Especially during a big long paper.</p>

<p>And if your in a dorm that honors the name policy then great, but the dorm I'm in if you put anything in the fridge, I wouldn't expect it to be there when you came back.</p>

<p>If you really wanted to put something in a fridge I would ask a prefect who had one.</p>

<p>this sounds exactly like camp :D</p>

<p>it is weird now that i know i am going to boarding school. all of a sudden you think about these things that you never would have considered before. oh well, i guess if people have survived without them before, they can do the same now.</p>

1 Like

<p>yeah. Is there a TON of homework in BSs? I mean I suspect more than my public high school, but how much more?</p>

<p>Well how much do you have now?</p>

<p>Federal rules prohibit leaving prescription drugs in a common room unless it is under supervision of someone (eg nurse0. Hence ALL schools have to allow a refrig if you have meds.</p>

<p>
[quote]
I'm not sure, but the majority of your boarding school meals will be in the dining hall right? How often will you need to have food in the fridge anyway?

[/quote]
</p>

<p>After a while you get tired of dining hall food, no matter how decent it is. It's good to stock up on decent food to eat during the week before vacation...food is the worst then. I don't keep a lot in my fridge...soda, cheese, and then leftovers from ordering out to heat up another day when the dining hall food looks nasty.</p>

<p>thanks for all the helpful tips everyone. am i right in guessing that ramen noodles would be a popular boarding school option?</p>

<p>I would never have a prescription written for my child expressly so that we could break a rule. </p>

<p>Yes, cookie, ramen is a staple! My son always keeps a case of water in his room, and he always chills a few in the hall fridge. No one takes them. Other than that, he has a bottom drawer filled with ramen, mac & cheese, oatmeal, popcorn, granola bars, etc.</p>