The Ultimate Supply List for Boarding School

<p>thanks for the info keylyme. this is all very helpful!</p>

<p>I have about 1.5 hours of homework a night currently.</p>

<p>I wonder how many freshman boys are taking razors...lol, I have to take one. Damn, that's embarrassing. Are you allowed to even take one?
Is anyone else in my shoes... including the girls, hahahah.</p>

<p>haha yes, I'm sure they're allowed since all the girls in my school shave :)
aww don't be embarrassed aussie13, I know tons of guys who shave already.</p>

<p>razors are definitely allowed, think of us girls!</p>

<p>haha, we're not flying anywhere metal objects ARE allowed!</p>

<p>bumpppppp!</p>

<p>Many of the NE prep schools participate in the Green Cup Challenge (jeez I think that is the name of it) yearly, so some things like fridges in the room (use extra electricity and not considered to be necessary) are starting to not be allowed anymore in rooms UNLESS you have a doctor's note stating that you have to have a fridge for keeping meds cold. The person who spoke about the dry foods for snacks is right. Things like Chex mix, granola bars, pretzels/pretzel sticks, and stuff like that are very popular. With most schools, you are within walking distance of stores so don't feel like you have to bring that stuff with you when you move in (trust me you will be loaded down). If you are at a school that is further from stores, they will most likely have a weekend shuttle that runs you to the closest town which will have a grocery store/drug store. One thing our D asked for as soon as she got there was a watch. There is no cell service so she used to always just look at her cell for the time. So once she got there she needed a watch because the cell is never carried around. Make SURE you take a digital camera to school. Most people have one already but if you don't, as for it for a going away present if anyone is offering you a "going away present." I will post if I think of anything else pertinent for the supply list.</p>

<p>good advice, hpflrent</p>

<p>bumpppp! Don't let this thread die!</p>

<p>locks for our lockers :)</p>

<p>we have lockers?!?!?!??! I thought we didn't! :?</p>

<p>I recommend getting those stick on the wall hooks....they really come in handy!! And lots of tape and if your school allows it tacks... Always have water bottles in your room. Boxes for storage are a must. And lots of hangers because chances are you won't have that much space in your dresser. Also make sure you stock up on batteries and have an extension cord- very useful. If you're a girl you will most likely want a shoe rack too as this can reduce clutter- boys might want them too! As far as your room goes I bought a down comforter and have accumulated 5 duvet covers. I started freshman year with 2. It is nice to be able to mix it up. Especially during the winter months.</p>

<p>choate has lockers.. i am not sure about the others.</p>

<p>oh. I was thinking of bringing my mattress up to Exeter, which I will be attending next year, because I have trouble sleeping on other mattresses. Is this allowed?</p>

<p>Here - doing a 15 second search on the Exeter site, I found a couple of things you might look at and they might have answers for you:
<a href="http://www.exeter.edu/documents/ParentBook_07.pdf%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.exeter.edu/documents/ParentBook_07.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;br>
<a href="http://www.exeter.edu/documents/EBook_07.pdf%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.exeter.edu/documents/EBook_07.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Take bed risers so you can put taller storage containers under your bed.</p>

<p>Bed risers are GREAT. We bought a set at Target that would work for I daresay almost any bed. It allowed for a lot more storage, and since daughter's ceilling was high anyway, there was no sense of bed being too high. Target comes out in the summer with tons of stuff for kids going off to college, so if they don't have this now, they will later on.</p>

<p>At the beginning of each year I put a box together for my D. Basically I stocked her up for the year of all the "boring " but necessary stuff: deodorant, toothpaste, toothbrushes, floss, hairspray, shampoo/conditioner, female products, etc...) Her friends all thought it was a great idea...and she never worried about not having things when she needed them.</p>

<p>Ahhh, this is all SO exciting!!</p>