The Ultimate Supply List for Boarding School

<p>CanadianKid, Try starting a new thread on that topic in order to keep this thread about supplies on target.</p>

<p>Question: I am getting a printer because everyone at Choate seemed to have their own in their dorm. I was wondering, should I get an all in one scanner and printer? Is it often useful to have a scanner?</p>

<p>Having a printer in your dorm is very handy. I wouldn't get a scanner since it's more expensive and you probably won't use it that often. There will be scanners and copiers in the computer labs if you need to use one.</p>

<p>With apple, if you buy a computer, you get a printer/scanner for free.</p>

<p>My friends suggested the apple airport. You can plug it into the hard wire at the desk and then use you laptop in bed, on the floor, etc. They are great and not that expensive (airport extreme, i think).</p>

<p>You don't get a scanner with a Mac, just a printer.</p>

<p>Get up to $100 back via rebate* when you buy an Apple computer and a qualifying printer (download mail-in rebate to see terms and conditions and list of printers) between January 22, 2008, and April 21, 2008. Customers may purchase and claim up to five (5) qualifying Mac and printer combinations</p>

<p>thanks jennycraig.</p>

<p>Actually -- the "qualifying printers" include several all-in-one printers/scanners/copiers. my son got a great all-in-one HP printer when he got his mac about 18 months ago.</p>

<p>As far as that airport -- that is a good idea, depending on whether your dorm has wireless (some do). It might be something to wait on until you meet your roomate -- they might already have one.</p>

<p>speaking of which, when do we meet our roommates if we're not going to revisit days. september 3rd?</p>

<p>I also wonder when we will meet the roommate? Can we share with roommate something like printer, air freshener, fan .....?</p>

<p>how do i post my own thread???</p>

<p>You go to the page prep school admissions. That's where all the threads are that you can click on. Just at the top of the list there is a square box that says New Thread. Click it and you can start one.</p>

<p>You won't know who your roommate is until mid to late summer. You'll find out after you've paid your deposit and filled out lots of paperwork. The school will send you a name and contact information. You can contact your roommate and talk about what you want to share and what you want to buy separately. Sometimes it's better to wait until you see your room, then go shopping together. Kids tend to bring so much stuff they don't know where to put it all. You'll finally meet them when you move in.</p>

<p>At NMH, you don't find out who your roommate is until you move in on freshman orientation day. When you go to your room, there is a sign on the door with both you and your roommates' names.</p>

<p>bump :)</p>

<p>this thread has been SO USEFUL.
im going to exeter next year and i just spent the last hour or so looking at this and making a "stuff to bring" list :D
although the stuff in the middle about disney movies was kind of random
but freaking ufnny anyway
:D
love this threaddd. <3</p>

<p>That stuff wss all posted late on 3/9 so we we were just trying to cut the tension, lol
:)</p>

<p>I'm not sure if I'll even be going to boarding school yet (applying late-- wish me luck!!!), but I would definetely bring a portable DVD player and some DVDs in case you're stuck in your room and bored.</p>

<p>most computers play DVDs -- and just about every student has a computer -- so a portable DVD player isn't as necessary.</p>

<p>Neither are DVDs necessary.</p>

<p>Oh, right, I forgot about the computers. Sorry!</p>

<p>But I don't get why the actual DVDs wouldn't be. I think I'd still want those.</p>

<p>I think you can download movies. Not sure if it's legal, though. I wouldn't want to be the one breaking copyright law.</p>