The Ultimate Supply List for Boarding School

<p>We found only one school that actually REQUIRED you to buy thier laptop, but it happens, so check before you buy (as others have said).<br>
Interestingly, my husband is a "computer geek" as his profession, so we spent longer than many I'd imagine on the topic in visits (met a lot of tech staff). Most, even if they say they prefer Mac, don't require one or the other. Some will offer only limited support if you do not buy through them. The deals the schools have are good but none of them were so great that my husband will buy through them. We bought a combo monitor/TV that he can bring to hook the lap up up to in the dorm room (better on the eyes) and while he won't get TV signal, he can use it for X-Box, etc. and will only be bringing one item instead of a monitor AND a TV.</p>

<p>I don't think most schools expect you to carry your laptop to class with you. Kids just use them in their rooms.</p>

<p>Laptops are popular for studying in the library or Starbucks, but not used in class that often. I recommend a 15". It's small enough to carry around, but big enough to watch movies with friends.</p>

<p>Linda I agree. The one that "required" the computer that I saw, gave it as part of tuition. Many of the students used a different type though (ie mac).</p>

<p>We saw a fair number of students with their laptops in class. Esp in the schools that used a harkness table. It seemed that everyone in the librarys had one.</p>

<p>We are thinking of either a laptop and external monitor or imac and laptop.</p>

<p>I really like the imac because of the camera so that I can vidio conf my daughter</p>

<p>The camera is a nice feature.</p>

<p>We bought my mom and I MacBooks so we could video chat.</p>

<p>As far as the paperwork, the insurance information is going to be asked for by the health center and it goes directly there (copy of your insurance card). I wouldn't send a passport until he/she is going on a trip and you will know this far in advance. It just isn't necessary to have there and it is too important to chance losing. My kid has always called me to sign her up for SAT tests and SAT subject tests so I could use my credit card to pay for them so I really don't see where he/she needs to have the SS number. In a whole school year, she has not asked once for her SS number. You will really be in contact with your child constantly so again I would really consider leaving all that stuff home. If you child has to be transported to a hospital, there is an assigned adult every day in case this happens and they will have access to the health record you filled out as well as the insurance information and immunization record.</p>

<p>Laptops are very popular in the dorm rooms and Mac seems to be the ones the kids want to have. If your kid doesn't have a Mac, they are going to be on their friend's Macs. I know this because other kids are always on my kid's mac even though they have a pc laptop.</p>

<p>My son has a Dell Inspiron which he loves. His roommate has an IMac and I asked him if he would prefer this. He said no. But....he is not too computer literate. Of course he uses it for homework, YouTube, Facebook, etc., but he is not "into" the computer enough to care about what he is using. He is off the computer more than he is on it.
I wouldn't send the important paperwork, either....just necessary numbers and photocopies.</p>

<p>I think what hpflrent has described about others wanting the Mac who don't have them is what the schools who require all students to buy the same laptop may be trying to avoid. Perhaps they are trying to level to playing field, so to speak as the Macs are considerably more expensive, I think.</p>

<p>I think my laptop comments are being taken wrong. She had to buy her own laptop so it was her choice as to how much she was going to spend and she has their least expensive laptop (which came with a free ipod and printer). Sorry if I offended anyone. I was just talking about what I had seen and heard.</p>

<p>I don't think you offended anyone. I did notice a great deal last year on the IMac at my daughter's university; it came with those freebies and I think the whole thing was $995 or something like that.</p>

<p>Ouch, I can't afford to spend ANOTHER grand (on top of tuition) for a new computer. I guess I'm stuck with frankie (My HP desktop, which I LOVE.)</p>

<p>Do you think people will make fun of my lack-of-laptop (or any portable computation deice)?</p>

<p>Also... Will people think it's strange of I have a stuffed animal? I know I'm a little too old for it but Squidopus is my hand-made (From old t-shirts, he's Eco-friendly ;) ) Squid-octopus hybrid. I cant imagine living without him.</p>

<p>any thoughts?</p>

<p>Dazzlezzz, I want to be your roommate. Enough said.</p>

<p>I am bringing my stuffed animal, too. Don't worry.</p>

<p>hpflrent,</p>

<p>I apologize if my reply led you to believe I was some how put off my your comments. There was nothing offensive at all about your post in the least.</p>

<p>I only meant that the schools that require a specific model may want the kids to all be on the same "screen" and to make sure they all have the same pre-installed software that they will need. That's all.</p>

<p>My older son brought his Teddy with him and no one made fun. Everyone needs love.</p>

<p>r u kidding? i'm totally bringing my teddy bear!</p>

<p>okay, that's reasureing (or however you spell the dumb word!) :)</p>

<p>Christi, We should SO be roommies! that would rock!</p>

<p>Too bad we are off to diffrent schools (Shucks!) That can be fixed though (how? I don't know, go ask your aunt Moe.)</p>

<p>how much would 2 webcams cost?</p>

<p>Dazzlezz, I got my boyfriend a webcam for $11 off of thinkgeek.com I doubt its that great, but my point is, if you're okay with not-so-great quality, you can get 2 for as little as $22!</p>