The Ultimate Supply List for Boarding School

Also, it can be helpful to have some sort of student credit/debit card beyond the school card. I often see people not consider this at first.

What’s the age limit for credit/debit card? Not sure a 14 yo can have one

Talk to your credit card company. Amex allowed our 14-year-old to have his own card tied to ours.

Maybe for kids, Apple Pay is a better idea?no need to bring cards around.

1 Like

A major benefit of having an Amex tied to ours was that it gave our son access to airport lounges and other privileges when he traveled back and forth to school. Once, during bad weather, he got stuck in Chicago. Amex took care of helping him get a room for the night even though he was a minor. For us, that card provided some peace of mind in emergencies.

He also had a BOA checking account with ATM card that he used to manage his own money.

2 Likes

Our kids have a High School Checking (with debit card) and Savings account - they keep birthday money, work, a small allowance etc in the savings and only keep a little in the checking/debit account, transferring as needed.

Although it’s called “High School” the age is 13. I think most banks have something like this.

They can check and manage the account via the the app, and are responsible for managing it. However, it also shows up on my app along with my other accounts and I can see all transactions.

1 Like

Not every place accepts Apple Pay. But yes, they use that too. The same card is set up for Apple Pay.

Honestly, savings account yields nothing these days

We set up kiddo with a Capital One account and a debit card. It gets good interest for a savings account, though there is rarely enough money in there to matter. I can track his spending and deposit money if needed. Which isn’t often.

He also has access to my card for Amazon.

The kids venmo each other, most of the time. Money seems easy for them.

Dad slips him a little walking around money when he heads back to school, but cash is actually harder to use since they can’t go off campus right now.

1 Like

This system works for us bc it helps the kids have to log in every once in a while and be more aware of what they have vs what they are spending.

I agree with @CateCAParent that it’s useful to have a Venmo account too.

1 Like

This times 100. Dorm rooms, especially freshman dorm rooms are usually tiny. And the less stuff you have, the easier it is to stay organized!!

Having said that, put 8 gallon (the size needed for the standard desk trash bin) trash bags on the shopping list. It’s a lot easier to empty your trash each week when you have a trash can liner (often not provided by the school). Written as I send kiddo a pack of them.

In terms of a credit card, we had no issue getting one for kiddo when she was 14. We used Bank of America for both her debit and credit card.

1 Like

In terms of school supplies, almost everything at kiddo’s school is done electronically. So things like binders, notebooks, filler paper, folders, 3 hold paper punch, folders, stapler etc have gone completely unused. Her school even discourages bringing a printer. Since all of these things can likely be purchased at the school store, or sent via amazon/target, I wouldn’t buy them ahead of time.

I should probably re-post my comment from Miscellaneous Ramblings here.

Cliffs Notes BS Style: Less is more*. Bring what you’d bring to stay at grandma’s for a couple of weeks. If you forget anything, you can purchase locally or parents can bring/remove at Parents Weekend (winter coats/clothing). Your kid will probably wear shorts, flip flops, and odds and ends purchased from the school store all year regardless of snow and frost.

The rooms are small and will have a bed, desk, and chair, lamp if you’re lucky. Bring/buy a fan; early days can be hot.

I’m always aghast at the amount of things students (are you listening, girls?) think they need to bring. I know, I know, we only had a boy, but he boarded a plane for school each year with just a backpack, roller bag, and one large suitcase. When he got there, he purchased a fan and some laundry supplies. We shipped his computer, other electronicals, and bedding a week ahead. At the end of each year, he stored everything that didn’t easily fit into his backpack, roller bag, and suitcase and boarded a plane for home as light as he left. (Important Safety Tip: Never plan on helping with move out. You’re welcome.)

Don’t forget, you can order online and have things shipped to the school a week or two ahead. All BS mailrooms are equipped to handle those boxes.

And, finally, DON’T be this kid.

*If you think you need a U-Haul, you’re doing it all wrong. You don’t want to be that person either. Re-read from the top of this post.

3 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Miscellaneous Ramblings

I’m not sure if this has been mentioned upthread but I will add it here anyway. Pack clothes seasonally. You don’t need to bring your entire years wardrobe on move in day. Depending on where you’re going, pack for the expected weather between the start of school and Thanksgiving break. Then take your summery clothes home with you, and come back with winter ones. Do the same thing when you come home for winter break and spring break. My school had uniforms, so the dressers were extremely small. This is helpful if you know you will have limited storage space (which is very likely).

Even for boys, who seem to care about so little, don’t underestimate the importance of the mattress topper. It is the one thing kiddo thanked me for bringing.

1 Like

Vacuum storage bags can also be helpful for packing, if you’re looking to consolidate suitcase space.

1 Like

Any thoughts on suitcases versus trunks? We will be driving.

how many suitcases should one use for packing?

If you’re leaving said luggage in the doom room, use duffles so they can collapse and you can put them under the bed. Otherwise use whatever is easiest to lug up stairs.