The Ultimate Supply List for Boarding School

If you are driving, do not underestimate the power of a laundry basket or two! I have a friend who packs one of those plastic drawer units that goes in the closet or under the bed and just puts it in place then back in the car at the end of the year.

1 Like

I donā€™t think a trunk would be helpful- are you thinking it would serve as furniture, too? I canā€™t say for sure, but I doubt there would be room for it, and it would end up in storage (assuming storage is even available).

The duffel and laundry basket ideas are good ones. Driving allows you a lot of flexibility packing-wise. Anything that can shrink to fit under the bed, hide in a closet, or have a daily purpose is great. Anything that takes up floor space or desk space is questionable. In 3 years kiddo has had little of either.

Really, less is more. Especially when you first arrive. Kiddoā€™s roommate last year had way too much stuff, and probably a quarter of it never got unpacked.

1 Like

Does anyone know whenā€™s a good time to go dorm shopping for necessities? Like I know itā€™s early now but when should I start looking for comforters, sheets, etc.

Whenever, but you could try and take advantage of Memorial Day sales for example.

2 Likes

I just donā€™t want to buy stuff too early or too late, when do most kids buy stuff?

When their parents fork over the credit card.:grin:

2 Likes

It probably depends on the kid. I think most would wait at least until schools share their ā€œwhat to bringā€ guides.

I know itā€™s not your case, but anyone heading northeast for the first time could also take advantage of post winter sales for some clothing must haves.

Regardless, donā€™t forget - less is more. You want to leave room to figure out what you actually need and want.

Also, depending when schools let roommates be known, some will wait for that.

haha thanks. Hill has a what to bring list on their website already. I think Iā€™ll get things when I get my roommate assignment, this way we can plan out what stuff we can share like rugs, lights, etc.

1 Like

Same Iā€™m gonna start buying things when I find out who my roommate is. I want to make sure we can coordinate.

When do you get assigned roommates?

Usually mid-summer I think

1 Like

The first thing my daughter did when we committed was buy a new comforter for her dorm. And some dress code items (blazers, skirts, new winter coat and raincoat). Are most dorm beds twin or twin xl? Hopefully they will provide that info soon, she wants to get sheets and a memory foam.

Everyone Iā€™ve heard from on this forum seems to use Twin XL but I think I remember one or two people saying they had a regular twin.

Westover has Twin XL according to their packing list

I know Loomis is twin xl

Most are XL. But that us a valid question to ask the school.

Hill is also XL

The homework thread reminded me - good noise canceling headphones are quite useful. I might even call it a must!

2 Likes

Is it a safety concern at all? I love listening to my music really loud and blocking out other sound, but my parents told me not to at BS in case thereā€™s an emergency and I donā€™t hear

Surely youā€™d hear an alarm if itā€™s very loud. At least if you get a cheaper pair.

I donā€™t think so. They drown out background noise, not all sound. There is a fair amount of studying in public places, so they are handy. My kids prefer regular earbuds if they are just listening music while they walk between classes.

If anything, a good one would allow you to not blast your music (which is not safe for your hearing).