The Ultimate Supply List for Boarding School

I think you can start buying whenever you want. Once kiddo chose her school last year, we made a list of everything we needed to buy. That way we were able to buy things as they went on sale, and spread out, so it wasn’t one big shopping trip. Of course since we live a plane ride away, we saved bulky things (foam mattress pad, desk lamp, etc)to buy once we arrived in the school’s town.

The one thing that seemed a little frivolous to me, but ended up being a life saver was a comfy desk chair. She has spent a lot of time at her dorm desk this year, with remote classes and all, but she said even for two hours of study hall, the standard wooden desk chair is really uncomfortable.

A collapsible laundry basket is also one of her “must have” items. I sent her with a laundry bag, but she immediately asked for a basket. It is nice because she can leave the basket by the washer and if someone decides to move her laundry out before she does, they can put it in the basket instead of on top of the dirty/dusty laundry machines. And trust me, even if you use a laundry service, you’ll still be doing your own laundry on occasion.

ETA: And I agree about the noise cancelling headphones. Dorm walls are notoriously thin, so it’s nice to be able to drown out the background noise. The fire alarms are REALLY loud, you’ll still hear them.

2 Likes

:100: on the desk chair.

2 Likes

OK. Just saw a sham and now I’m very inspired lol. I’m going to do Harry Potter vibes for my dorm XD. Decided I’m going to do what @cityran did and make a list and wait for sales.

I am quite sure I did not know what a sham was when I was in BS. Certainly never had one on my bed :grin:

2 Likes

The Container Store always has a dorm sale in late July/early August and both of my kids swear by their bungee office chair!

2 Likes

Why are macbooks so popular with boarding/college students? And why?

lightweight, secure, and usually has a student discount during the summer. i got airpods with mine last summer included.

Oh that’s really cool! How come Apple over other computers? Just wondering so I can make best pick

I personally don’t have a mac but I’m a huge tech geek. The reason most people prefer macs isn’t necessarily for the hardware (storage, ram, processor), usually you can get windows computers with similar or even better hardware for a lot less since macs are kinda overpriced. The two main reasons why people gravitate towards macs, in my opinion, are MacOs and the apple ecosystem. The money you pay is more so for the MacOS experience. It’s intuitive and has been made in a way that works fast with limited hardware. Secondly, the apple ecosystem. Most of the population owns an iPhone. The way iPhones and Macs communicate makes a person’s workflow so much faster and easier. I could get into a lot more detail about MacOS and the ecosystem but I’d end up writing a 5 page essay. I hope that made some sense!

1 Like

Hey! How did you get a student discount in high school because I thought it was only available to college students.

I saw that today too lol. You don’t need anything, just go to apple’s education website and buy it from there for $100 off. No confirmation or anything

I think it’s from now till sept

1 Like

Yes! Thank you so much

1 Like

Of course!

Let me check it out!

Btw I think I’m gonna wait till September/November to buy a Mac. They’re releasing a new one then

1 Like

Does this extend to iphones or just macs?

I’m not sure why, but it let me order it. It didn’t force me to use a .edu email. I got one at best buy in middle school and they just gave me the discount. You wouldn’t get the airpods unless you got it from apple though.

1 Like

Ohhh okay. Thanks for letting me know!

1 Like

Sadly as far as I can see, the education website only includes macs and ipads

Do people usually bring their own plates, mugs, flatware, etc.? And what about snacks or water purifiers and things of that nature?