The Ultimate Supply List for Boarding School

Also should I bring extra boxes/bags to store things during the year or should the bags I bring on move-in day be enough?

I might bring a few plates and cups for dorm food and stuff. As for the bags I am also going to bring a few extra storage units. 1-2

Also bring or order plastic spoons @Yuhh222.

Don’t fret about packing everything or buying everything in advance - you can always order needed items online. In previous years, we have ordered dorm necessities in advance from Target, BB&B, and Walmart for convenient pick-up on RT 9 as we drove to school. If you are flying in from far away or internationally, this is a good option if you will also be getting a rental car. Do try to order items in advance - just less stress and it’s waiting for you. DH says it’s also a good precaution against impulse buying in the store.

MORE ADVICE: The price of rental cars has spiked this year, and the inventory is low in most places. If you have not already done so, please make your reservations ASAP if you need a rental car for Fall drop off and/or Fall - Parents Weekend.

4 Likes

Some ask for a “medical exemption” to get a mini-fridge in their room. If you get one, you will be very popular on your floor! Protein shakes, smoothies, fruit, etc.

Yes to a plate, bowl, mug and set of utensils. While kiddo didn’t use any of hers this year (covid restrictions), they are often used during weekly feeds, etc.

As far as snacks go, this can go two ways:
A) Having snacks can make you a popular person, as everyone will want to visit your room for snacks.
B) Because you have snacks, you’ll be less likely to leave your room and run to the school store/ across the street etc to get something to eat with other students, losing valuable friend making time.
My advice: bring a box of ramen (for nights when you just can’t make it to dinner—given meals aren’t mandatory) and a box of really yummy candy to share. No need to have tons of food in your room.

Also, kiddos dorm has water fountain / bottle fillers. I don’t think anyone uses a filter.

Just tried to make a rental car reservation for drop off and the entire airport is sold out already. This is insane.

1 Like

How much furniture is suggested I bring? Such as storage shelves with wheels, nightstands
?

Also if anyone has any “hack” items that just makes things more convenient, do tell!:slightly_smiling_face:

Yep @cityran! That is why I made my public service announcement on this post and also on Misc Ramblings a while ago. Nobody believed me!

Let me know if you want to carpool! We are so frustrated with trying to rent cars this year that we are ready to buy some old SUV’s and start our own service for move-in. I already have the logo - a cow with a pennant - Prep School Moooo-vers :rofl: :cow2:

Without seeing the room? Zero. Most rooms are not spacious. If you need or want to supplement your side of the room after you get there, buy locally or online.

2 Likes

Thanks! I was also skeptical because I never toured the dorms to get a good idea.

At most a good desk chair, but we just ordered one from Amazon once kiddo got there.

https://www.containerstore.com/s/white-3_tier-rolling-cart/d?q=Cart&productId=11010200

My daughter has one of these with the lid as a nightstand.

1 Like

That one has been on my mind! I think I’m going to get it but it’ll be one of the only bigger items I bring. I didn’t know they had lids, so I’ll look into that. Thanks!

https://www.containerstore.com/s/craft-hobby/white-3-tier-rolling-cart-lid/1d?productId=11010925

1 Like

Some items that came in handy for our student (and ourselves):

• Small rolling cart or dolly (you can buy for $25 at Home Depot) for moving in and/or moving out of dorm. This is a life-saver.

• Plastic storage bins for under your bed.

• Large zipper bags that you can use for storage and transport -

Our hack is this: Instead of spending $bigbucks for a designer bag (like the one pictured by Scout) you can use a sturdy cooler bag from a grocery store or big box store for $10-$15. Kiddo has several “cooler” bags that zip shut so they work great for storing off-season clothing and outerwear.

• Many dorm rooms come with limited overhead lighting. Bring a desk lamp and/or a floor lamp.

• Move In/Move Out Day Survival Kit: Scissors with your name tag attached, electrical tape, duck tape, scotch tape, surge protector, extension cords, extra hooks & command strips, Clorox wipes, 2 large garbage bags (the waste bins in the hall are always full during move-in), light bulb for desk or floor lamp, bottled waters & snacks for the day, and a PORTABLE STEP LADDER.

• We know one set of parents from (guess the zip code-you know who you are) that bring 2-3 orange caution cones to keep their parking spot or those of their friends while unloading by dorms. Not judging, just reporting (well, kind of judging :roll_eyes:)

1 Like

I read somewhere that it’s easier to bring disposable paper/plastic plates and utensils because that eliminates the need for washing them. Probably depends on the person whether or not that makes a difference.

Love Prep School Mooooo-vers!!! You could definitely make a fortune
except buying cars these days is almost as difficult as renting them!!

2 Likes

Do not diss my scout bags! :laughing: Those things were indispensable for kiddo’s move in and move out (x2 this year), and they are nicely holding her clean linens for the summer (thanks to an aunt who lives locally). We also got the Scout rump roosts for underbed storage. But without a doubt, tupperware and those giant ziploc bags (also handy for hurricanes) or those infamous blue Ikea bags work just as well.

Orange cones are only a little less tacky than arriving by personal helicopter (as a “friend” of mine did back in the 90s at Deerfield :roll_eyes:).

In terms of furniture, some rooms won’t even have space for a bedside table, but I would definitely bring a comfy desk chair to replace the standard one.

And since there tends to be a big student-led push to reduce waste on most campuses, kiddo was asked to bring reusable dishes/utensils/etc. Which did not get washed often. Or at all. At least she will have a very strong immune system.

2 Likes

Guess who arrived in May by helicopter to Deerfield? Hint: :football:

I can only guess :thinking: It was all over the news.

1 Like