The Worry Thread (Parents Only Please; Kids can Worry on the Chances Forum)

<p>Wow, that would be a serious turn off for me.</p>

<p>I just want to reiterate that my comments were in no way meant to bash NMH, just merely to see if anyone who has recently visited shares the same concerns. We have visited/applied to about 7 schools and NMH was by far the most welcoming environment that we encountered. I can’t say enough good things about the staff/faculty and students. </p>

<p>I think it is a fair question, and I do not think you are bashing NMH. We all know it is a great school. All schools go through growing/consolidating pains. It would be a bummer if the entire time your daughter went to that school, it were in a transitional phase. Sometimes when you are busy growing, it is hard to stay focused on the here and now. On the other hand, if it is THE school for your child, it simply won’t matter. I imagine if my daughter’s top choice said she was accepted but that she would have to live in or take classes in a trailer, she wouldn’t hesitate. She would probably get tired of it, but she would happily go… </p>

<p>I wonder who would buy the old school grounds they want to sell. It’s not like real estate is in high demand in that part of MA.</p>

<p>The Northfield campus was bought in I think 2009 (or thereabouts) by the National Christian Foundation, owned by Hobby Lobby (yes, the same hobby lobby now in the case going to the Supreme Court to get out of providing contraception to their employees). They’ve been trying to find a fundamentalist Christian school to move there–either a college (Liberty University, etc.) or high school. So far, every deal has fallen through. It’s pretty controversial in the area. NMH as a school no longer has any say in who gets the campus or what happens to it.</p>

<p>Do any current parents have any additional thoughts on the “portable” classroom situation at NMH? I’m just tyring to gather additional perspectives…Thanks!</p>

<p>@CroissantMiser: </p>

<p>Our family went to revisit day last spring at NMH. I was also bothered by the modular classrooms. Like you, we aren’t “those” people, however, the room was small, dark, and cramped. The longer class time combined with the dreary setting was not a good sign for us. The students in this particular class were restless (as was I). I can’t imagine how gloomy it would be in January if it felt like this in April. It also made me wonder what condition the “regular” classrooms in other buildings were like if this was the one they chose to use for revisit day. I had the same thoughts regarding the science building that wasn’t open for family tours.</p>

<p>I loved the school on paper and in theory, but honestly, the condition of these buildings did make me pause and ponder things I might not have previously considered. </p>

<p>Thanks for the replies. Ultimately, it’s a collaborative choice between parents/child, with child leading the way, in my opinion. I just wanted to take the temperature of the room and see if anyone else shared these concerns and, more importantly, if any current NMH parents would care to post their thoughts on this subject. That insight would be greatly appreciated!</p>

<p>CroissantMiser–you might want to start a separate thread for attracting opinions from NMH parents. This conversation is buried in a thread whose title does not serve your purpose.</p>

<p>Good point…just got carried away and wasn’t paying attention…will do!</p>

<p>I visited NMH today and I have no idea what you’re talking about! I went to a world history class and an algebra class which were both in nice buildings! Did I miss that?</p>

<p>Yep, stargirl3, you missed it. The modulars are at the bottom of a small hill and are not immediately obvious if your are scanning or walking the campus from a higher elevation.</p>

<p>Were they those wide silver buildings with plants in the windows?</p>

<p>Sorry, someone else will have to comment as it’s been too long for me to remember that detail.</p>

<p>Twinsmama, I am the parent of 16-year-old boy-girl twins. The girl is applying to boarding school, but the boy is choosing to stay home. What are your twins doing?</p>

<p>@TaylorBrill, I have 13-year-old boy-girl twins who are both applying to boarding schools. It was my son’s idea, and at first my daughter was against it, but she made a complete turnaround. My kids would like to be together but I don’t know whether that will happen. Are your twins ok with each other’s decision?</p>

<p>Mainly to pass the time, as a sort of game, my son and I were playing this speculative game of “what’s happening RIGHT NOW at the Admissions Office…?”</p>

<p>Without knowing exactly the sequence of events behind those doors, it’s still kind of fun to imagine what’s happening when. For example, by the end of January we figured they’d have eliminated all candidates that didn’t meet a certain academic standard. </p>

<p>Then we imagined how long AOs had to read apps individually, and then how many meetings they had to discuss as a group, and how the field was whittled by those meetings. </p>

<p>So at what point do you think they have their “set” pool of desired admits? I would imagine the FP kids are decided and then the FA move on to that office for them to do their financial jujitsu in allocating the available $.</p>

<p>Think we’re at that point yet? How much really happens in these last 2 weeks (assuming a few days of administrative time at the end pre-M10 to get notifications ready to go out)? Or are our kids’ fates already decided? :)</p>

<p>If I were the grand poobah of admissions somewhere, I would identify the clear “yeses” and “nos”, and then move on to whittling down that middle group into the yes/no/WL categories. They probably don’t make the final call on those last few kids until the very last minute. </p>

<p>I recently spoke with one of my interviewers, reminding her that there are around three weeks left until March 10. She laughed and said, “You have no idea how much work we have to do in these three weeks.” So no, I don’t think our fates are decided!</p>

<p>I sent out some updates about my kids last week, and the replies I got made me think that it hadn’t been too late to communicate. No reply from the school that rushed us (I will be really surprised now if they accept my kids) or from my daughter’s favorite. She actually wrote them a love letter yesterday. We have a little extra worry on top of all the rest, because the AO who interviewed her and who clearly appreciated her is now on sabbatical. </p>