Theft in the Residence Halls?

<p>Well, just out of curiosity, does anyone know any stats or general information about theft in the residence halls? Meaning, theft right out of people's rooms (broken/snuck into and then stole things).</p>

<p>Also, would being in the lakeshores make a difference?</p>

<p>I was just wondering this because first of all I have some expensive gadgets that may be left in there (laptop, ipod, pda, etc.) and a small figurine collection that I may bring since it'd be a shame to not see it for 80% of the year (a thief may just ignore them since they probably woulden't guess how much they are worth, but just out of curiosity). By the way, the figurines are ridiculously expensive, but they range within $20 - $80 each..</p>

<p>I would be more worried about the serial killer that's on the loose in Madison. I would be more concerned about the crappy police department that lets beggars prosper on State Street and harasses poor college kids for money.These homeless scum are doing drugs in hallways of residential homes of students and the police are more worried about busting a underage drinking party.</p>

<p>
[quote]
These homeless scum are doing drugs in hallways of residential homes of students

[/quote]

In the residence halls? Aren't they all locked?</p>

<p>Is it really as big a problem as you make it out to be...also, I don't know why you are calling them "scum"...I'm sure you wouldn't be all that happy and possibly be doing things like drugs in their situation.... Regardless, I have heard multiple views about this situation....both in support of helping them and in support of just getting them off the streets.</p>

<p>As for the recent murder...there's nothing I can do about it (probably a higher probability of me being murder in Minneapolis versus Madison actually). </p>

<p>
[quote]
police are more worried about busting a underage drinking party.

[/quote]

On the other hand, that DOES concern me...<br>
It also concerns me that the government is doing something very similar, but with different situations. :S</p>

<p>I don't mean to be so harsh, but it really bothers me that the city allows these homeless people to harass the college kids.You would think prospective students and their parents would get turned off after touring the campus and then heading down to State Street for lunch and you encounter these people.
Now to find out it might be one of them that is a serial killer hopefully wakes up this liberal town to realize it is time to move these low lifes to another part of town.</p>

<p>
[quote]
You would think prospective students and their parents would get turned off after touring the campus and then heading down to State Street for lunch and you encounter these people.

[/quote]

The thing is, I went to Madison last year for Forensics and explored state street for a while with some friends (it was about this same time, but last year). I don't even remember seeing any homeless people (maybe one person asked for money). I'll be going there for 4 days next week (2 days for a college visit and 2 days for State Forensics), so I'll have to keep an eye out to evaluate whether it is as big a problem as you say. I know it's a problem though (I have read about it at numerous places), but I have read the ends of both extremes.</p>

<p>I didn't think it was an issue either till I started reading excerpets from the newspapers about the recent murder investigation.Then I talked to my son and he said how annoying they are where they actually will follow you till you give them something.For a great university it's too bad that they have let this get to this point. But I blame it on the liberals who feel sorry for these people but don't want anything to do with them.Even Chicago where I live has taken steps to remove the beggars from areas where tourists are.</p>

<p>Yes on my visit I encountered at least 5 beggars on state street on a daily basis. They seem to hassle you quite a bit and if you just keep to yourself they just mumble something to you like "well whatever have a blessed day!" I was kind of turned off by this but my family and I realize this happens in all major cities and cant be avoided. It was still a bit of a turn off to me but it didn't ruin UW-Madison;s image in my eyes, I still love the school. I definitly see more begging going on downtown Mpls but of course they have a larger population then Madison, but it will always happen in big cities.</p>

<p>You have to remember that State St and the residential homes are off campus, the university can't regulate things, the city is in charge. The campus is close to downtown and the "inner city" area of Madison. This is where the most run down housing is (in my day the slums were the student areas, more poor people have moved to Madison since then, as seen in the increase of needy students in the school district). All cities will have a homeless population, managing them without stepping on their rights can be tricky. Hopefuly the city will crack down on panhandlers who are infringing on other people's rights... Read about many other major/elite universities across the country and Madison will feel much safer than they are.</p>

<p>Rearding the dorms and theft. You will most likely have a roommate who will or won't keep the door locked as often as you like. You will have a lockable drawer and you will not have much space for knicknacks, regardless of their value. I would leave most of the breakables at home as you don't want them accidently broken. Remember, you are starting a new phase of life, your life will be too full to miss childhood things. Most people have computers and electronics, I have not heard of problems, especially since you can put them in a locked drawer. You will learn how to prevent theft. The dorms are all locked to prevent casual comings and goings, I would hope most students don't let strangers in. People are just as honest/trustworthy in any of the dorm areas.</p>

<p>Well, what I was thinking of doing was getting the Ikea Biby (IKEA</a> Biby Link. It's lockable and tall, but only 15 by 13 inches...so it should fit in a space limited dorm room quite nicely (I'd think...). Plus, I could stick some books on the bottom shelf. I figured with that if somone did break into the room, they probally woulden't bother trying to open that up, as they would go for the more expensive, easy to get things (such as electronics).</p>

<p>How does that sound? Good, back?</p>

<p>As for childhood things, it is somewhat of a recent hoby...I just hate to not be able to enjoy them now, as in the future I may not be able to have them with me or have them on display any more.</p>

<p>Wouldn't bother trying to open it up? All you have to do is bust the glass. I would stick to a lock box.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Wouldn't bother trying to open it up? All you have to do is bust the glass. I would stick to a lock box.

[/quote]

Well, a lock box would defeat the purpose of them. This is what I collect...maybe it will shed some light on things:</p>

<p>

<a href="http://www.cybernetresources.com/figurines/aria-posters/aria3.jpg%5B/img%5D"&gt;http://www.cybernetresources.com/figurines/aria-posters/aria3.jpg

</a></p>

<p>If I were a thief in a residence hall that may possibly have other people in it at the time, would "I" take "my" chance breaking a glass display to get those versus just stealing the easy things that "I" would know are of value such as laptops, electronics, and maybe jewelery? There's already a big risk breaking into the room or sneaking into the room, then to do something that is potentially loud for something that may be potentially useless and hard to get out of the room?</p>

<p>I'm thinking probability here....yes, there are stupid people and that goes against any assumptions I would make :S</p>

<p>Think it weird or not, but it is something I really like and enjoy, but to have it collecting dust for months bugs me, even if there is a little risk. What i'm doing here is trying to evaluate risk and decide whether it truly is worth it or not in my eyes. :)</p>

<p>EDIT: Other than the figures, the only other thing that would be in it are possibly some school books and books that I collect in the bottom.</p>

<p>your seriously bringing those to college with you? Dont you think it is 1)Unnecessary and 2) a little childish?</p>

<p>
[quote]
your seriously bringing those to college with you? Dont you think it is 1)Unnecessary and 2) a little childish?

[/quote]
</p>

<ol>
<li><p>Possibly....but it is a collection I really like.</p></li>
<li><p>Quite frankly, not at all. >_> Even if it is, so what?</p></li>
</ol>

<p>Going back to childish....I don't think it's a collection a child would have (or could afford).</p>

<p>Rooms are not going to be broken into- unlocked, open doors allow unscrupulous people in. Leave your collection at home. After you are settled in consider bringing such items, I doubt you will want to. You can check the size of your dorm lockable drawer on the website.</p>