There's a river?

<p>I saw a picture of a paddleboat! What Roll does the river play?</p>

<p>Yes! </p>

<p>The Black Warrior River sits on the north side of campus. Very pretty. There’s a RiverWalk along side for jogging, walking, or whatever. There’s also a park…The Park at Manderson Landing.</p>

<p>I don’t know if the Alabama water skiing team uses the river or a lake.</p>

<p>I think the recent Tri-Athlon used the River as one of its venues.</p>

<p>I’m sure others have better pics, but here’s one where you can see that the river is on the north side of campus.
<a href=“http://img.■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■/albums/v133/feenotype/0qAJj-cropped.jpg[/url]”>http://img.■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■/albums/v133/feenotype/0qAJj-cropped.jpg&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>It’s beautiful. And it’s skirts the North edge of campus.</p>

<p>I believe the river is a lake (i.e., dammed up, like every square inch of the Tennessee River). So it’s perfect for recreation.</p>

<p>"Flowing for roughly 300 miles, Alabama’s Black Warrior River is a major drinking water source supporting over one million people. Two of Alabama’s largest cities, Birmingham and Tuscaloosa, obtain drinking water from the Black Warrior and its tributaries</p>

<p>The river is also home to many fish, mussel, turtle, crayfish, amphibian, and snail species, including nine threatened or endangered species. The headwaters of the Black Warrior River include the Wild and Scenic Sipsey Fork, which, along with the Mulberry and Locust Forks, is rated among the top 2 percent of United States streams by the National Park Service for its outstanding recreational values."</p>

<p>As a proud Louisianian, I do not acknowledge the word “crayfish.” My son will have to educate you people when he gets there. Not only on how to spell and say it, but also how to cook and eat it.</p>

<p>By the way, the portion of the river running by the university is also known as William Bacon Oliver Lake, based on the dam of the same name just downriver.</p>

<p>Wow. I just LOVE the South! SO pretty, so green, such a perfect place to spend four amazing years.</p>

<p>Slippy, haha, I’m from RI and I know it’s crawfish! I’ve been to New Orleans but I’ve never eaten them. I much prefer a Maine lobsta!</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>And while we’re at it let’s not forget the origins of the name “Tuscaloosa:”</p>

<p>In honor of the legendary “Black Warrior”, a great chief who had had a fateful encounter with explorer Hernando DeSoto centuries before somewhere in Southwest Alabama, settlers named the place Tuscaloosa (from the Choctaw words “tushka” meaning warrior and “lusa” meaning black).</p>

<p>slippy, to me they’re called crawdads. Apart from tailgating and some fraternity and sorority fundraisers, I hardly ever see them being served on campus.</p>

<p>The only time I ever see the official name of the lake on that part of the Black Warrior is on Google Maps. It’s very peaceful to walk down to the river and relax after classes or on the weekend.</p>

<p>I acknowledge 21 - 0. I had a great time in New Orleans. Wish I had a creole combination platter from the Gumbo Shop in front of me right now.</p>

<p>[Mark</a> Limbaugh Wakeboarding on Black Warrior River - YouTube](<a href=“Mark Limbaugh Wakeboarding on Black Warrior River - YouTube”>Mark Limbaugh Wakeboarding on Black Warrior River - YouTube)</p>

<p><a href=“- YouTube”>- YouTube;

<p>As mc2k said, the River Walk is great. Perfect for walking, running, or just sitting on a bench and relaxing or reading a book. Very convenient if you live on the north end of campus!</p>

<p>Both UA’s men’s and women’s rowing teams use the Black Warrior River. My son loves being on the river early in the morning, he says it is beautiful.</p>

<p>^^^Yes, the second of the two video links I posted above shows the UA men’s crew on the river.</p>

<p>I’d think the skiing team uses Lake Tuscaloosa. The section of the river that’s right by campus is pretty narrow. I’ve skiied on Lake Tuscaloosa, and it was a glassy dream…way better than our section of the Tennessee, which is constantly choppy.
@slippy2000, when you see our version of crawdads, you will agree that they are crayfish. Yes, they’re cousins to the Louisiana crawdads, but they are the poor, pitiful cousins!</p>

<p>Slippy…when your son comes to Bama, I hope he’s bringing some </p>

<p>Well, his mama was excited to learn there are big refrigerators in the dorms. She is planning on sending some edible provisions.</p>

<p>Well my son is currently in Riverside North, so I hope he meets your son Slippy. Pralines, beignets, po’boys, I think I need a visit to New Orleans!!</p>

<p>I love the area across from Rose and Riverside. When visiting in the spring, I park and just look at the river and birdwatch while I wait for son to get out of class.</p>