Engineering and Fraternity...Sophomore Yr

<p>After his rough start, my S is excited to be completing his freshman year at UA! He came around, with a LOT of help from you CC’ers…thank you again!</p>

<p>Next on his consideration list is possibly joining a fraternity next year. He has done very well academically this first year, but I am quite concerned with 18 hours scheduled for the fall that his GPA will suffer. He also plans to interview for a co-op position starting Spring semester, which could possibly take him away from campus (unless he secures the Mercedes mechanical engineering co-op, which he has dreamed of since his acceptance at UA!)</p>

<p>My question is this…is anyone familiar with particular fraternities which respect the time commitment of the engineering curriculum? Pledging will be a terrible time for class/study management, so I was hoping to steer him toward a house or houses which will understand the classroom commitment as a priority. I am having him check out Theta Tau as well…just was curious if any of you have sons in other fraternities who have had good (or bad) experiences when it comes to academics first.</p>

<p>Thanks in advance!..Wishing all of your students well during these the last few weeks and on exams!!</p>

<p>Son is in Theta Tau, it is co-ed (and yes - females are also referred to as “brothers”), they have a nice mix of typical straight into college students and a couple of older students (veterans) from different places which has provided a nice mixture of people. I know they will be happy to talk to him about the frat. While they have their activities, meetings, etc. DS has found it to be studies first mentality.</p>

<p>Theta Tau is also very much a social group. He could even join it and a social fraternity, but most don’t.</p>

<p>Definitely have good time, they just had their “year-end” weekend away trip, by studies first I meant that being in related fields they share similar course loads which I think for some can help.</p>

<p>My son is also in Theta Tau (he is a second year). I am sure he would be happy to talk with your son. Send me a PM and I can send you his contact info. For what its worth, he is managing terrific grades, the MDB and also the fraternity. It seems like a very low key group. Congrats to your son.</p>

<p>My son’s freshman year roommate joined a fraternity, I believe his sophomore year. He also did/is doing a co-op at Mercedes Benz. He moved off campus for junior year and did his co-op in the fall and is back on campus this spring. I believe he is in momreads’ son’s fraternity. Seems to be a lot of smart kids in that fraternity, so if he’s looking for a social fraternity, that one would probably be a good option.</p>

<p>hokiefan…I sent you a PM. Thanks for your help!</p>

<p>Montegut…thanks for your information. I actually just sent momreads a PM as well.</p>

<p>I don’t know if malanai’s son is in the same fraternity as momreads’ son, but I’m sure that’s a very nice fraternity as well.</p>