Thinking about adding another class (and a Computer Science question)

<p>So the heavens have just aligned and there is now a space open in CS 260 during a time that can actually fit into my schedule if I switch sections for another class (which also has a seat open). I hesitate, however, because I currently have 15 credit hours. CS 260 would be an additional three credit hours. I’ve heard a lot about how freshmen shouldn’t bite off more than they can chew their first semester, so I’m not sure if taking on 18 credit hours would be the best idea. Not to mention I’d really like to get a job and get involved on campus, too. I’m just trying to get as many classes in as possible because I’m afraid I’ll have to struggle to graduate in four years on the Computer Science/Pre-med/CBHP track. Cough. I’ve also been considering a double major in Chemistry… :p</p>

<p>Now for a computer science question. I AP’ed out of CS 150, 160, and 250. That would put me into either Programming III Java or Programming III C++. I only learned Java in my AP Computer Science class, but I really would like to learn C++ too. Does the C++ class start from the beginning or should C++ have been covered in the prior programming courses?</p>

<p>I realize a lot of these questions should be directed toward my advisor. I’m just not entirely sure who that person is (not listed in Degree Works) or how I’d get in contact with him/her or if I should even try right now. So any insight is greatly appreciated :)</p>

<p>(Hopefully that CS 260 class didn’t fill up as I was typing out this long post, haha)</p>

<p>sign up for in now while you’re debating.</p>

<p>Darn. I messed up the times. Had to switch sections for another class but there was a time conflict. Now I can’t get back into ENGR 131 because apparently there were already -2 seats. I guess that’ll teach me to mess with things :stuck_out_tongue: I’m about to email the teacher, do you know what the chances are that I’ll be able to get back in? If all else fails, I can probably get into a non-honors section.</p>

<p>email the profs and ask for a waiver to get in.</p>

<p>If that fails, email…</p>

<p>David Cordes, PhD
<a href=“mailto:cordes@ua.edu”>cordes@ua.edu</a>
Director, Freshman Engineering Program
205-348-6363</p>

<p>S inadvertently dropped a class and couldn’t get it back. I finally figured out that it was because the UA system recognized him as a Sophmore (although an incoming freshman) and he was trying to register for a Freshman level class. Had to call advisor to allow for this registration.
Could this be your situation?</p>

<p>I don’t think I took enough AP courses to count as a sophomore. I’m only coming in with 27 credits. But that’s good to know in case I end up having to take ENGR 131 sophomore year. According to [this</a> premed track](<a href=“http://coeweb.eng.ua.edu/fep/pdf/ComputerScience_PreMed_PreLaw.pdf]this”>http://coeweb.eng.ua.edu/fep/pdf/ComputerScience_PreMed_PreLaw.pdf), I’m not supposed to take ENGR 131 until first semester sophomore year anyway :slight_smile: I just figured I should since I had the room.</p>

<p>Thank you M2CK! I emailed the professor. </p>

<p>I also found out none of the other open ENGR 131 sections fit into my schedule, honors or otherwise. I thought some more and emailed another professor and asked to be put on her waitlist (taking her class would allow me to stay in CS 260). So I feel a bit promiscuous for emailing two separate professors. </p>

<p>But overall, I’m not EXTREMELY worried. Right now I’m sitting at 17 credit hours with the CS course and I don’t mind taking ENGR 131 a bit later. If anything, now I’m worrying about handling 17 credit hours :p</p>

<p>The professors in the Engineering department were REALLY understanding and helped me fix my schedule so that I was able to take ENGR 131 while remaining in the CS course. So I’m now signed on for 18 hours (gulp) :)</p>

<p>18 isn’t too bad, trust me. I’ve done 17 or more every semester in engineering. Your basic freshman courses shouldn’t be too challenging which should allow you time to study for the more difficult courses.</p>