***Thread for BS/MD/DO 2022-2023***

They only have 8 optho and 6 or 7 ortho (i checked different years and cant decide why this discrepancy exists) so it would be hard to reciprocate so many seats in other programs.

1 Like

Agree with this. Since they are ranked high in those two, those interested in these two specialties may be opting for Jefferson medical school over others hence more applicants for those two specialties. It’s self selection process.

1 Like

I dont mean reciprocate one on one. When you are so renowned the reciprocation goes 3-1 or 4-1 
 meaning when Jeff takes 1 student the others take 2-4 students in the next 5 years. Also many of the PDs of other med schools work with Jeff ortho and optho on research or in many other ways 
so big brother always has an advantage

4 Likes

Phone call.

1 Like

My student got a Phone call.

1 Like

Please move on from the discussion of specialties in ortho and optho or take it to PM. Thanks!

1 Like

Hello! Is the Jefferson match list published online? Could you point me to it? Thanks!

Sent you a DM.

1 Like

SLU is a non guaranteed seat only interview and that too if you meet their requirements. At the SLU weekend they said 30/100 get interview. About 40% of their pre-meds go onto med school, maybe more after a GAP year. MD degree with SLU. CCOM is a DO but with 30% of current medical students in the US DO students the landscape of MD/DO will look very different in 8-10 years when they graduate(already see this with combined residency programs). IIT-CCOM guaranteed seat and as it is non-binding opportunity to still apply to MD schools if you like (IIT has many pre-meds take this route and have been admitted to Northwestern University as well as other MD schools). Small but supportive pre-heath advising.

4 Likes
2 Likes

I hope you chose to interview with Stony Brook. It is a good school. Any question, DM me.

1 Like

Respond to your #2:
Only about 50% matriculate to BS MD. They told us at the presidential interview a few weeks ago.
My S got in. He is still waiting for results of other schools.
SLU is not very attractive unless the kid get the Presidential scholarship. VP scholarship, still have to pay over $50k / yr for undergrad. Expensive and not attractive IMO.

If commit to healthcare, go to temple. UCLA competition is not healthy and grade quota to weed out students. Not to say that your S/D won’t make it, but have to work extremely hard at UCLA
. This is based on my risk adverse opinion.

I ended up not interviewing because I already committed to another program.

1 Like

Thank you for your insight. My son is committed to Medicine. Our concern is that it is not guaranteed admission to medical school even if the student meets linkage requirements. Acceptance to LKSOM is provisional and determined by LKSOM after the interview. Any advice?

1 Like

Did anyone heard from NJIT/NJMS ? I am new here and trying to see whether anyone received interviews from NJIT/NJMS

1 Like

I had NJMS interview back in Jan.

Anyone known if 90% MCAT is required by NJMS? What happens if student scores 70% ?
How many do they interview from NJIT and hownmany get accepted ? Thanks.

2 Likes

According to NJIT, NJMS doesn’t have a minimum MCAT, but they do want an MCAT score. Probably for benchmarking purpose https://honors.njit.edu/content/njms-accelerated-bsmd-program-faqs

Thanks . Do they send out any rejection letters. We haven’t received any communication so far. I called few times, they said they will let us know ,but its been a couple of weeks. Did you receive any communication after your interview

2 Likes

At your kid’s caliber, 3.6 GPA and 509 MCAT is achievable (got into UCLA kind of prove it). Attending UCLA then apply later will need more volunteer and research hours, and may need 1 or 2 gap years. Also, Temple will save $60k for Med school later on.
Find out if Temple has resources to prep these students for MCAT (like a prep course for them) and admission into Med school
. Does Temple require more research and volunteer to admit into Med program? How many hours?