***Thread for BS/MD/DO 2022-2023***

EMSAP leans in-state and eliminates a lot of males (I guess generally speaking there are more males applying). Their interviewed/accepted rosters usually have a balanced cohort with similar #of males and females.

1 Like

I thought EMSAP notifies about interview decisions in late Jan

1 Like

ā€œStudents selected to interview will receive an invitation by email in mid-February.ā€ from the school website

EMSAP is a great program, but they require OOS students to sign a letter acknowledging (this is new) that they will not get in-state tuition in med school. A lot of OOS EMSAP students apply out to their state schools to get a better tuition rates.

1 Like

They do look at the trajectory of high school grades, someone having not so great grades in freshman and sophomore years but a marked improvement in junior and senior years will get noticed. Coupled with essays and I believe a separate dedicated section in common app (forgot what it is called after all these years) where one can describe life challenges during high school, will nullify any negative perception. I am sure the high school counselor will also bring these up in his/her letter.

Few students that I happened to know of also enrolled in community colleges for first two years and transferred over to the flagship state school with all credits transferred. They may have missed the fun of college and bonding with other kids and all that the first two years, but saved considerable amounts and transferred to the state college to professional majors like computer science, business and pharmacy.

You have a very responsible child you can be so proud of. Wish you all the best.

1 Like

Upon submitting the EMSAP app you get an email saying late Jan, so idk

Bless ur heart and proud of your Sonā€¦

Itā€™s tough to give proper answer without knowing complete picture so see if u can utilize few stuff.

Like @junebug20 saidā€¦ TX gives 90% instate ā€¦so he can do traditional tooā€¦also donā€™t worry about rejection (it happens to everyone and u canā€™t pinpoint why)

Also see if your son qualifies for ā€œlow income scholarshipsā€ (or under privilegedā€¦ if you are in TX).
Do look at your neighboring state like AL (BSMD) or Souther state collegesā€¦ they give little bit ā€œlikingā€ to nearby areas (and other skillsets)

This is where the gameplan comes in (choose the colleges that fit his work/beliefs/chances).

Good luckā€¦ and againā€¦ i am pretty sure heā€™ll succeed (many who are determined and care about their siblings with Disability are successful in the end).

Thank you, I will ask my son to look into JAMP program. His decision caught us by surprise ! We thought he would go into business or restaurant related degree or operate the food truck/stall or something like that. Before Covid, he did test out and create his own singapore/malaysian fusion asian street food recipes, cooked and sold those dishes at the night market. Now, he and his gf have been creating some baking products to sell along with his other stuffs.

1 Like

OMG, your son sounds like a smart young man who has many talents. He will no doubt succeed at anything he puts his heart in. Consider majoring or minoring in business to learn the rules/laws/principles of running a business beyond his raw talents. Premeds can major in anything as long as they have the premed requirements when they apply to med school. However, people who are exposed to a lot of sciences in undergrad have a slightly easier time getting acclimated to med school science curricula, which will be 1.5-2 first years of med school.

If he happens to not get any BS-MD offer and is sure he still wants medicine and JAMP, get in touch with the prehealth director at the schools heā€™s interested in to express interest. If Iā€™m not mistaken, JAMP application closes Oct 1. If accepted to JAMP, he will get opportunities to shadow, have internships, go on premedical camps. Heā€™ll then be matched to a TX med school (there is a match process for JAMP) and be accepted by his junior year. Meanwhile, there are virtual shadowing opportunities, which offer an insight into various medical disciplines. He could start acquiring shadowing hours by attending those events. You guys should ask your physicians to allow him to shadow in undergrad and keep track of those hours for med school admission application. Mine volunteered at hospitals and asked to watch physicians performing procedures and holding morning prerounds/rounds.

Also, do file FAFSA, most TX schools have a January deadline. Pell grant recipients of any amount will qualify him for a lot of benefits. With some merit scholarships on top of full tuition on Pell, he could potentially have a full ride. Use the savings from his side business to support his med school cost. I was going to say good luck, but with his talents and perseverance, you wonā€™t need much luck. He will no doubt succeed!

Then, concentrate on getting a high GPA and do well on the MCAT. I am sure heā€™ll have some interesting personal statements and stories to tell on his interviews. Congratulations on having a wonderful and responsible son! The admission cycle is still til the spring. Sit back and enjoy the ride! Iā€™m sure your son will end up where it will be a fit for him and his life goals. He sounds very mature.

1 Like

@HP041
Will BS/MD programs value life experiences enough? Thatā€™s a fascinating question, BS/MD programs look for stellar stats, class rank in a certain percentage (<5% usually), strong ECs, and demonstrated interest in pursuing medicine as a career etc. I guess they do look for life experiences but itā€™s part of their holistic application review. I have seen many applicants with outstanding stats ended up getting no acceptances in the past application cycles due to the highly selective nature of the programs. Apply widely, and add a couple of BS/DO programs to your list. Prepare yourself and your S for taking the traditional path. Most BS/MD colleges put a $300K-$600K toll on the pocket. Not sure if you are aware Texas medical schools offer lower tuition fees compared to other state schools. In the event, your S ended up doing the traditional route, ask him to do well in the UG with a good GPA, and MCAT, and follow the advice of the premed office from the school. Looking at what your S did to support the family and all, I am sure your S will do just great no matter whichever path he chooses. Good luck.

1 Like

Does anyone know if Pitt BS/MD gives out interview invites on a rolling basis? On the finalist letter itā€™s a bit ambiguous.

ā€œAs stated in the email, it is important to note that there is a strict deadline for submission of the supplemental application and the letters of recommendation. We recommend submitting all application materials within three weeks after the receipt of the email notifying you of your User Name and Password.ā€

We just completed the FAFSA together online. Man! so much in info we need to input. The site is able to download the tax forms from IRS. Our EFC is around 14000, does that mean that he will eligible for $14k of Pell grant ?

@HP041
your EFC is $14,000. At a school where the COA is $30,000, your calculated financial need is $30,000 (COA) ā€“ $14,000 (EFC) = $16,000 (Financial Need). To get Pell grant EFC seems must be below $6.2K. But many colleges match need based aid. You need to check their policy in their financial aid page.
https://fsapartners.ed.gov/knowledge-center/library/dear-colleague-letters/2022-03-24/revised-2022-2023-federal-pell-grant-payment-and-disbursement-schedules

1 Like

Too early to think about an interview invite. We need to get an email from School of Med to complete the Med GAP application. After completing the Med GAP application, only a small number will be invited for an interview.

Pitt BS/MD interview invites go out one 1 day.
Last year, it was in mid-Feb.

1 Like

EFC stands for Expected Family Contribution.
It means that the FAFSA calculator thinks you can afford to pay $14,000 per year towards college costs.

Colleges then calculate your financial need. @cheer2021 has provided a sample calculation for coming up with financial need.

It is up to EACH college to meet what percentage of financial need.
Private colleges generally will meet 100% of your financial need if your annual income is below $80K.
For public colleges, it depends on a number of other factors.

after receiving the NJIT BS admission email, does anyone know, how long does it take for us to receive ADHC interviews from NJIT?

I want to apply to Stony Brookā€™s BS/MD Program. Should I submit my 33 ACT or 1440 SAT? (scores are no longer required for that program)

1 Like

what does this stand for?

Thatā€™s NJIT Albert Dorman Honors College.