***Thread for BS/MD/DO 2022-2023***

Can you share the stats. My younger daughter will be applying for program after 2 years.

If the metric is quality and opportunities delivered by the program, I would suggest that it depends on the individual student and the opportunities they seek. For example, if someone wants to pursue public health opportunities, proximity to a government building (ie state capital) could be more ideal than for someone who wants to pursue more patient care, where proximity to a volunteer EMS organization may be a more powerful opportunity.

When you define the quality of a program (if I understand your words correctly), it’s important to remember what the purpose of attending that program is: To apply out to the highest-ranked medical schools? To receive acceptance to the most competitive residency specialties? To have the most time and freedom to explore non-academic interests? To have the professors who “teach the best?”

The ranking that follows will be different depending on the primary question(s) you are asking as your metric. Prestige by reputation and acceptance numbers alone may align with your list, but I’d consider the nuance significantly here.

1 Like

Rishiray gave a very good explanation. I will give a slightly different thought process. I will give some criteria to think about. You can rank them based on your order of the criteria.

The most important criteria for me (and should be for anyone trying for or going to a BSMD) should be:
The ease of matriculating to med school. Isnt that the whole reason of going to a BSMD?
Based on that alone Pitt GAP (which has quite some attrition rate and some struggle to get rhe reqd GPA) and Case PPSP (which has an interview to deal wit) – both go to the bottom of the list.

Other criteria will have a different order of preference for different individuals:
The ranking or level of undergrad school Baylor undergrad and Upitt undergrad are lower in rankings than others in the list) Some people may like going to Brown due to the ivy prestige and in case they decide to change fields or end up leaving medicine as a career choice.

The ranking or level of med school
(Baylor and UPitt SOM are very high in the rankings than others)

The opportunities or residency match after med school (this should not matter much as it depends on many other factors)

Given these things above I would put the order as something like this (only for me):

Baylor/Baylor or Brown (I would think more)
REMS or Pitt GAP (have to think about this too lol)
Case PPSP

However based on which criteria is more important to you each one will have a different order!

1 Like

@mi2019 @Park1212 @rishiray.outperform

In my view, any rankings and especially for medical schools, are to be taken with fistfuls of salt - not just a pinch of salt.

Congratulations!

Hmmm. I wouldn’t worry too much about individual rank but try to categorize them to top, middle and bottom tiers. Residency directors do pay attention to school reputation and top tier schools May provide better research opportunities but ultimately students drive the outcomes.

2 Likes

To summarize, I agree any ranking or US news ranking of undergrad and medical schools are all skewed. Anyway some top medical schools will not even be part of these US news rankings this year.

As @srk2017 mentioned residency director ranking and most certain some medical schools give some advantage to match to specific speciality but it is hard for high school level students entering a BS Md to be sure what they want and may change mind later.

If you change mind out of medicine then undergrad matters like going to PLME. Although medical school at Brown is mid tier and won’t give a upper hand than other medical schools.

2 Likes

I was looking at someone’s profile in a high end integrated surgery program (1 or 2 seats per batch) at Harvard. Went to run of the mill undergrad, unranked texas med program - wrote a lot of papers in undergrad as well as medical school.

2 Likes

The question of the US News & World Report Ranking for medical schools is a critical one. Most folks look at the Research subcategory ranking for medical schools, which, as USN&WR themselves report their methology follows:

1. “[Research activity] comprised 40% of each school’s overall rank” and this is exclusively relative to the “total dollar amount of federal funding and contracts.”
    30% overall weight is the number alone, 10% is that dollar number divided by total faculty. Take what you will in defining a student’s access and success in research by a dollar number alone.

2. “Student selectivity” comprises 20% of each school’s rank and is comprised of:
    (i) median MCAT score of admits [13% overall weight]
    (ii) median undergraduate GPA of admits [6% overall weight] and
    (iii) the statistical acceptance rate [1% overall weight].
    Again, take what you will in that defining a student’s opportunity for success.

3. 15% is comprised of a “peer-assessment score” by medical school deans and admissions heads on a subjective scale of 1-5. The exact number of respondents is not declared (or from which medical schools), but they report a twenty-eight percent response rate.

4. 15% is comprised of the same metric as above except with responses from residency program directors. The exact number of respondents is not declared (or from which residency programs).

5. 10% is the “faculty resources,” just a simple calculation of the ratio of full-time faculty to full-time students at the medical school.

I share this all directly from the USN&WR ranking methodology they report themselves, because any time we consider using a metric like the USN&WR (the entire basis for our definition of “T40, T20, T10” medical schools) it is so important to understand exactly why we make a statement about quality of a medical school.

I include this here to second @mi2019 in stating that these uber-common rankings are used to give a value that is beyond what the metrics actually represent. Again, I think everyone should take their own stance on each component, but to understand the actual data is simplified here.

1 Like

Sorry for posting something completely out of context here. Everyone here is well informed and has either been through this rough journey or going through now. My daughter completed a review paper and is looking into getting it published. Can someone recommend a few places which hold value.
Good luck to all the students going for the interviews!!!

Yes, you always see one or two candidates like that at top schools. These are the with GPA or MCAT but with very productive research experience.

Is she working with any researcher or physician?

Try these

https://journals.library.columbia.edu/index.php/cusj/cjsj

She completed it in a research cohort at CCIR.

Thank you so much!!

1 Like

Congrats for being the finalist, that is one among the 70 out of 3200 applicants.

Thanks. Did they publish the number of total applicants ?

Med schools usually follow their normal interview process that they give to all other traditional applicants. You should go to Student Doctor Network. It tells you the format for the interviews. Past applicants also leave questions they were asked during their interviews.

2 Likes

@privatems
PPSP usually mention the total number of applicants and # interviewed in the application update (decision for interview) email. In 2021 they said 70 of 2900 were invited for an interview. Good luck.

Morning . any tips on GW interview , virtual…

1 Like