Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

Did you receive the link from Drexel?

Director Ripa said you can bring up your desire for 7yr as soon as you’re offered admission and she might be able to help finalize it. Please follow up with her afterBSMD admission is offered.

@BGKYMom

We didn’t hear from Hofstra either sadly

Anyone hear from Stony Brook?

School ranking does matter, so please factor it into your decision.

There are too many med school applicants in CA., I heard. If compared on same metric (tuition + fee), Upstate is not too far off on cost but ranking totally different story :stuck_out_tongue:

University of California – San Francisco School of Medicine

• Out-of-state tuition & fees: $53,777
  • In-state tuition & fees: $41,532

If you get NMF scholarship (25k), go with BU (BU/ PSU/SKMC / UConn).

1 Like

Not all CA applicants can get into a CA medical school (supply vs demand) or a CA residency. They tend to prefer north east for greener pasteur.

No matter what, but you have to navigate through Midwest. :innocent:

2 Likes

For OOS students, after 4 year BS in state X, will the student become in-state if the student chooses to pursue Medicine in the same State X?

Last year I heard in this forum that SUNY Purchase was letting one go with either 7 or 8 year options. But students have to make up their minds very early in the game. Probably will give apply out option for 8 years while still retaining the slot. You have to find out.

I don’t believe all the medical schools allow for in-state fee just because you did UG in that state. But there was some talk on this forum that NJMS does it and Upstate’s Jennifer Welch mentioned somewhere that either they charge in-state fee or there are ways to become in-state for NY.

1 Like

In most of the cases - it is not the case. If you are a full time student, you will be considered dependent of your parents and will be resident of your parents state. If you take a gap year and work in state X, you might be able to claim as resident of state X.

1 Like

Anyone heard from Stony brook ?

Not yet

You should be asking your C that question :smile: :wink:

Tough call between PSU/SKMC vs BU. More research needs to be done before you decide. Previous years CC members preferred BU over PSU/SKMC.

Not if you fly SouthWest :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

She asked me to get input from CC :blush:

BU might give her more clinical exposure opportunities compared to PSU during UG

1 Like