Time Management

<p>First let me say, I know I’m being a helicopter mom from afar, so, I’ll just put that out there =-).</p>

<p>Any suggestions on time management for DS? Resources, suggestions, etc?</p>

<p>He’s always struggled with being disorganized, but seemed to be off on a good foot early. </p>

<p>Now he’s getting emails about missing registrations for quizzes and work in his Math class, missed another class because he was studying for another one’s test and totally forgot…etc.</p>

<p>I know experience is the best teacher, but the last thing he needs is to dig himself a hole the first semester of his Freshman year.</p>

<p>Appreciate your thoughts.</p>

<p>Perhaps he could try using a large wall cling calendar and/or desk calendar? Visual reminders are often helpful in remaining organized, but only if he is willing to write everything (assignments/schedule) down. It should be helpful to see his assignments and schedule for the month and then break it down into smaller pieces so he can allot his time accordingly. You can purchase the dry erase wall clings at Target, Walmart, Pottery Barn Teen, and office supply stores. Target and the office supply stores will also have the desk calendars. An additional student organizer for his backpack might also be helpful so he can immediately record assignments and have his schedule with him. He’s smart to recognize the problem and seek to resolve it now. Good luck.:)</p>

<p>I was perpetually disorganized before the wonders of a calendar on my smart phone. It dings and reminds me and I haven’t missed any appointments since I got one.</p>

<p>I second the smart phone calendar. There is a way to sync it with his calendar on mybama (you would have to read up on how, I just know that it can be done!!). </p>

<p>Use the task list as well.</p>

<p>Unfortunately the seminar was on 9/12, Managing Time in College. Richard Livingston 348-3919, Center for Academic Success.
Maybe they will repeat the seminar; I know my son has a major weakness in this area too. He is using his smart phone, but what is it is lost, broken? He needs a backup too.</p>

<p>^^I agree about using the smartphone if he has one. I’ve finally learned how to have Siri remind me of things by using the command “when I leave this location” and it is extremely helpful…remind me when I leave this location (the grocery store) to stop by the bank, or to call my husband, etc. I still need a visual road map though. That’s why I like having something in print also…sometimes I think my phone is smarter than I am and I’m wondering when it will decide to hold my calendar hostage.:)</p>

<p>I agree with using Smart phone calendars, alarms, etc. Boys often won’t use paper organizers but they will use their Smart phones for such nudges.</p>

<p>Also, is he getting his emails on his Smart phone as well? if not, he should. </p>

<p>As for missing a class while studying for another…Does he have a print out of his school schedule? My older son kept a copy in his wallet the entire first semester because he just wasn’t yet used to having a schedule so different from high school. He’d pull it out regularly to check and double-check to make sure he wasn’t forgetting a class.</p>

<p>Was the class he missed after a long break? If so, he can set up a Smart Phone reminder about 30 minutes before that class starts.</p>

<p>The calendar, contacts, and hopefully task list should sync to his computer. If the phone is lost or broken, the info can still be accessed. That is very important. </p>

<p>Sent from my DROID RAZR using CC</p>

<p>My son uses his Smartphone calendar, but he is a big proponent of to do lists. Every night, before going to bed, he starts a new one for the next day. It is a big visual reminder, but writing down things is a good way to commit them to memory. </p>

<p>I always seem to have a list going at home, too, as I live in the middle of nowhere. Cell phone is very, very spotty.</p>

<p>^^I completely agree. That’s how we roll, too!</p>

<p>Thank you all so much. DS does have a smart phone, not as techno savy as his big sis, but we’ll see if we can get her to help him.</p>

<p>Appreciate all your valued insight. As usual CC is a wonderful resource. =-)</p>

<p>He could probably reach out to the Center for Academic Success, even though that specific seminar is over.</p>

<p>Another option for his schedule is to have it as his “wallpaper” (do they still call it that?) on his phone, laptop, ipad … I’m still old-school and keeping to my “regular cellphone” handing off smartphone to kids so don’t really know options, but just a thought.</p>

<p>For several years now I have trained adolescents who suffer from ADHD in the effective use of their smart phone as a compensatory tool for their inherently poor organizational capabilities and impaired focus. In many cases I’ve seen huge turnarounds in academic performance (example: turning a <2.0 GPA fall semester into a 3.7 GPA spring semester).</p>

<p>What it takes is a no-excuses approach in which the individual commits to learning the ins and outs of the phone (a surprisingly simple process when given hands-on instruction) and a willingness to use it with unwavering consistency (a motivational issue having nothing to do with skill). </p>

<p>This includes synching the phone daily or using a function such as Google calendar that automatically synchs in the cloud, so that data is never lost, even when you drop the phone into the punchbowl at a weekend party. :)</p>

<p>There you have it, sign him up for Malanai’s 1:1 seminar! You are headed to UA for parents weekend, right Malanai?
LOL!</p>

<p>That is what I like too Malanai…took me forever to get my son to use his calendar. And after months of getting on him, and forcing him to put certian things in his phone (like MD appointments and a few deadlines) he finally admitted that it was very “helpful”. I actually think it was physically painful for him to admit that to me.</p>

<p>Malanai! The doctor is IN!!!</p>

<p>You probably could make millions by setting up some kind of online class for the many harried parents who’d love to retire their helicopters (or at least go to part-time status)!</p>

<p>Yep, I am ready to cut the check for DD’s registration in the iPhone4S Seminar.</p>

<p>Executive Function shortcomings are the bain of the motivated, but stymied, student.</p>

<p>Sounds like the smartphone/pc SYNCH could be the answer.</p>

<p>Wish we were closer to the HI mainbase, as I have NO CLUE how her iPhone works.</p>

<p>I do not have a smart phone, but I would get one if I could take Malani’s class!</p>

<p>Here Here! Before we left home, I made my S put ALL of his classes into his phone calendar. We also use a hosted Exchange email service, so I can create an appointment in my calendar (from my phone or my laptop) and “invite” him so that he sees a calendar invitation on his phone. It is all about eliminating their excuses, just like with adults… <grin></grin></p>

<p>^^ LOL, need to learn that trick. I thought I was doing well with the calendar sync to PC!</p>