Tips for tour--Rising senior looking at business, scholarships, and honors program

Thanks to everyone who is so active on Bama’s board! I have already read some super helpful info! There is ALOT! I am a rising senior in high school and my stats qualify me for the scholarship that equals tuition OOS. Also, I would like to learn more about the business program and honors program. I am signed up for a campus tour in July. What else should I do during my campus visit? Should I meet with an admissions rep? Should I do anything special to see the business school? I live far away from Bama so this is one of my only chances to see Bama before next spring. Any tips… Much appreciated!!

If you contact Honors, they will set up with a wonderful agenda for your trip. If you have any interest in the academic elite programs within Honors like UFE or CBH, I would recommend setting up time to meet with each of the leaders in those areas to hear more about those opportunities. The same could be said for participating in STEM MBA or Emerging Scholars. Research those programs, and see if any of them interest you.

Honors does a great job in setting up prospective student tours and visits.

Thank you for your help! Does anyone know if there are separate tours for the business school outside of the general campus tour?

If you do as suggested above, and give the same info you supplied here, they will help create a specific agenda for you. Make sure to note your prospective major (not just business) and your other interests. If you want to sit in on a class or meet a professor… mention that as well.
Try to be in town for at least two days, so you can walk around campus on your own and see Tuscaloosa.

Let us know how it goes.

Have you discussed finances with your parents? There are other costs besides tuition.

You’ve already set up a campus visit so quickly email the Honors College (see below email addresses) with the info (tour time, major, stats, etc), so that they can set up the rest of your day.

For anybody else looking at this thread…Set up your tour here: http://tour.ua.edu/

Don’t delay setting up your campus tour! The tour is a mix of walking and riding in a small bus, so each tour is strictly limited to the number of seats on that small bus.

In the email to the below listed people, include:
Student’s name and contact info
Date and time of the Campus tour that you’ve reserved.
GPA and test scores (include likely NMSF if applicable)
Likely majors
Career interests (including med, law, etc)
Anything particular that you want to see. If you have an interest in seeing the new Science and Engineering Complex, the TV or radio stations, the B-school or what-have-you, let them know.

Honors Recruitment

Susan Alley
270 Nott Hall
205-348-5599
susan.alley@ua.edu

Kayla Fields
kdfields1@ua.edu

They will arrange the rest of the day…meeting with faculty, honors people, touring honors dorms, etc.

Sometimes mail goes to their SPAM folders, so call them if you haven’t heard back within a few business days. They do an excellent job and work very hard.

There is also a high stats recruiter in the Admissions Office who does an excellent job arranging personalized tours with the Capstone men and women. Contact your recruiter or Jim Landers.

My daughter is a business major, and when she did her tour (way back in 2011) the Honors College set up a meeting with a Culverhouse professor. I’m sure if you ask for a tour of the business facilities they would arrange for that as well.