Touring in the Summer

I am going to be applying this fall, and the summer is the only time I am able to do a tour, coming from Vermont. I am planning to be there in the last week in July. Since students are on vacation, how different do you think it will be compared to actually being a student there? I’m afraid that I won’t get a real feel of what it’s like at the college. Is there anything at the school or in Tuscaloosa that I should be sure to do? I have a few days to spend there and I want to do the most I can, since it’s a far trip and I probably won’t be able to go back before I apply.

Thank you!!!

What do you plan to major in?

Will you be applying to the honors college?

My son started in the Fall of 2013. We toured in the summer and it was great (extremely hot & humid, but great). Bama Bound was going on and enough students were on campus that it certainly did not feel empty.

We were able to meet with both Dean Karr (Engineering) and Dean Sharpe (Honors). The only downside is that few Professors were on campus.

Rest assured it’s a great school with bucket loads of opportunities and activities - all you are really looking for in a visit at this stage is to confirm if you can see yourself there and make it a viable choice. Make a list of what is truly important to you as a student and rank those items. If you have any deal-breakers, make sure you include things to do/see that will help you make that decision. If there is a particular area of study that you are interested in, I bet UA (either through HC or each department office) can link you up with either a professor willing to come in over the summer, or a student ambassador living there over the summer, or a graduate student, etc. Be assertive and specific about what you want to do/see on campus, especially since you are coming a long way. Allow a bit of time in your schedule to just wander around and talk to random people/students, both on and off campus. Sometimes the most useful info is gathered via serendipity. :wink: If you are an Honors College applicant, make sure to attend the traveling UA show in your area this fall - your local recruiter should be on your speed dial and can be a wealth of information, especially to link you with others in your area, if you’d like.