Too many bio majors?

<p>So this was apparantly quite a big issue discussed at the last bio club meeting.</p>

<p>Due to the hiring freeze we can't get more bio professors but the amount of biology majors has been very high ( I think it was somwhere around 700). So the upper level courses are supposedly going to have bigger class sizes and more scantron based tests.</p>

<p>Anyone think this could hopefully be resolved with time? I'm in a big freshman bio class which is fine for freshman year but I was hoping for smaller more personal classes as a junior or senior. </p>

<p>What's you're opinion on this situaion? Hopefully budget doesn't limit a fantastic bio department too extremely.</p>

<p>Typically the Bio classes do get smaller as you advance in the major. There are hiring freezes across the SUNY schools as they get set for the next round of cuts to SUNY. </p>

<p>Patterson needs to go!!!</p>

<p>Unfortunately, I think the college needs to start limiting the amount of individuals that can actually be admitted as a bio major.</p>

<p>This whole budget crisis will take at least two or three years to resolve, and until then, I don’t see any SUNYs getting relief.</p>

<p>Geneseo is starting to pull VERY VERY intelligent individuals the majority of which become biology majors. Historically, they used the freshman classes to “weed out” students so the number of majors decreased. As the intelligence level increases, no longer will individuals be inclined to drop out of the major.</p>

<p>Sean256…I completely agree. From what I understand 20% of the freshman now at Geneseo are science majors…that has really changed over the years. </p>

<p>I am sure administration is working on this.</p>

<p>Now more than ever private funds, Alumni support (which I activiely do) is very important.</p>

<p>I think they mentioned what sean256 has said. It’ll keep the department strong but have less students so that’s probably a senseible idea with lack of funds.</p>