Too much of a party school?

<p>I've applied at about eight schools and found out I'm accepted to two and waiting to hear from UM and the rest April 1. I have one concern about UM and wanted to open it up for discussion. It seems academically strong, but I've heard that it's a bit of a party school (i.e., more than typical). I like to have a good time, but I don't want to go somewhere where there are too many distractions. Is this the reputation, or do I have it wrong? (For context I'm applying to Boston College, Villanova, Univ of Richmond, Santa Clara, Notre Dame and Vanderbilt). Thanks!</p>

<p>Although I’m a high school junior, I’ve gotten many impressions from many different sources, and my conclusion is that EVERY college is a party school. Miami has a work hard, play hard attitude. The fact that the average GPA is a 3.5, and almost everyone is on merit scholarship of some sort, kinda proves that statement. Like I said, I’m not speaking from direct experience, just what I’ve heard over the past couple of years. But regardless, whether Miami is a party school or not shouldn’t have that much of an impact on your decision, because like I said, EVERY college is gonna have some partying.</p>

<p>Mangotree,</p>

<p>This is from a current student here. Mangotree is pretty much spot on with this. It is whatever you make out of it. There are clubs and parties that you can go to every day of the week if you would really like to. As I would imagine with plenty of schools. If you want to party everyday, then this would definitely be the school for you. If you don’t, I definitely wouldn’t say this isn’t the school for you. there are tons of clicks everywhere and all you have to do is find your niche. </p>

<p>As far as academics are…I wouldn’t worry about it being good or competitive enough, kids I see going to the clubs almost every night are some of the most competeitive in the classroom. It really is a 4 and 3 day schedule. Thurs-Sat are all fun, but once Sun-Wed is here, it is all about the books.</p>

<p>Mangotree,</p>

<p>My friend went on a recruiting trip to BC and he said that on the day of the ND vs BC game, the kids started Pre-gaming at 8:00AM…just food for thought.</p>

<p>Personally, I’ve visited UM twice, Pepperdine, and U San Diego, and I truly believe that Miami offers the best balance of work and play. It is a nationally renowned school, and 50% of the kids are in the top 5% of their graduating class, so it’s not like they just come to Miami and un-do 4 years of hard work. They learn to adapt to the new-found freedom and also the intense workload. The people who aren’t serious about school simply won’t last, and those who find an equilibrium between work and partying will have the time of their lives. It’s all about balance…and, of course, the U!</p>

<p>Thanks, this is helpful.</p>

<p>One thing you need to know about Miami that is different from a lot of schools is that the out in the open partying is done OFF CAMPUS. Sure kids drink in their rooms, but it is not the all out loud crazy party stuff that goes on lots of other places. My niece goes to BC and she says there are huge drinking parties constantly in the dorms with kids literally hanging oiut the windows and screaming and blasting music and puking all over the place. Miami’s administration does not tolerate public displays of drinking. So if you want to party you go off campus to a Frat/Sorority/House party/ Bar/Club. </p>

<p>If you want to avoid the drunken craziness of some campuses it is much easier to do at UM. My daughter does not drink and was also afraid of this “party school” reputation. She absolutely LOVES it at Miami and has tons of friends that do so many fun things together and has not had to deal with the whole puking/obnoxious drunk scene.</p>

<p>Ditto SVMMom.</p>

<p>SVM Mom :
Your daughter does not find it difficult at Miami to be one of the only ones not drinking? I don’t drink much but still love to go out and have a good time, and am slightly worried about that.</p>

<p>My neighbor’s friend goes to USC and same thing that SVM Mom said about BC: crazy dorm parties with lots of drinking! I know the new chancellor their wants to change the drinking and tailgating, so we shall see. </p>

<p>SVM Mom, my concern about UMiami is that it isn’t a “community”. I get the impression that there are lots of cliques, lots of kids who leave campus every weekend, lots of kid who live OFF campus – so it lacks that traditional, community spirit that BC or ND have. Any thoughts?</p>

<p>August820: I know your post wasn’t directed at me, but as a current student who doesn’t drink (well, very very rarely, and when I do it’s in very small amounts) I can say that I don’t find it to be hard at all. I’m kept fairly busy with my clubs and academics, plus various social activities (movies, bowling, monopoly (just bought it at Target!), and other fun stuff). And it’s not hard because it’s not the case that there are only one or two people who are not participating in drinking-related activities; rather, there’s quite a wide array of diversity in the student population, especially in regard to this factor.</p>

<p>LOTS of kids do not drink or only drink/party a little. It was really easy for my daughter to find friends. Miami has several floors of the dorms (both freshmen and upperclass) that are substance free. And no, these are not for people with substance abuse problems. The kids that live on these floors want to have fun and study w/o drinking. There are always more kids that want these floors than there is space available.</p>

<p>Miami has so many things to do on campus for the students that are free. Concerts, movies, parties, it really is impressive. Clubs (not dance clubs but service, etc. clubs) are also VERY big on campus. Lots of them do service projects and it is easy to meet people and get involved. The SCUBA club is the largest club on campus and dives are very cheap. There are lots of sports and music opportunities also. There are kids from all over the country, and world, who attend the U. Lots of diversity and a great environment. </p>

<p>Another thing my daughter LOVES about this school is that the administration and Professors are VERY accessible and genuinely interested in helping students. Most classes are very small and you can easily find Professors to do internships with.</p>

<p>Good Luck everyone! Miami is a great school!!</p>

<p>Oh, I forgot to say:</p>

<p>There was actually a lottery for housing on campus this year because so many people WANT to live on campus!</p>

<p>SVMMom, that’s not why there was a lottery for housing. There was a lottery for housing cause they knocked down the apartment area, therefore eliminating hundreds of housing spaces.</p>

<p>People live off campus cause on campus housing is terrible after freshman year (really, Mahoney/Pearson and Eaton are awful for upperclassmen). And generally it costs about the same because a meal plan is so damn expensive (averages out to about $8/meal). I lived off campus, about 7 minutes away, my junior and senior years, but I was always on campus and didn’t really feel disconnected at all. I’m actually glad I had the opportunity to live off campus. I lived with roommates and now I live alone for my job and know how to handle everything. My best friend lived on campus all four years at her school and we’ve been talking about moving in together and she knows nothing about having her own apartment or paying bills. Basically, living off campus is great and unless you go somewhere that has awesome apartments or townhouse for upperclassmen, move off campus.</p>

<p>I went on a tangent. But no, Miami is not a huge party school. You generally will not see kids wasted every night of the week or all hours of the day. Miami, as you know, is a very expensive school. 9.5/10 people I knew graduated in four years or less. It is simply too costly not to. The library is packed every night of the week (OK, maybe not Fridays and Saturdays, I wouldn’t know, I’ve never been). I’ve met people who went to huge state schools and they definitely partied way more than I did at Miami. Even though we have South Beach and the Grove, it just is not the same as a college town.</p>

<p>MiamiCane</p>

<p>You are correct about the lottery being needed because of them tearing down the ratty apartments. But I consider University Village to be “on campus”, even though it is across the street and technically “off campus”. It is still run by the university and you have to buy and make your own food.</p>

<p>Yeah, I don’t really consider UV to be on campus just cause when I started it wasn’t owned by the university. UV is nice, but very overpriced.</p>

<p>Are the dorms really that bad?</p>

<p>I don’t think they’re bad at all. Check out SVMMom’s pics @ <a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-miami-florida/1078031-what-um-dorms-like.html#post11914352[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-miami-florida/1078031-what-um-dorms-like.html#post11914352&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Also, when you visit they’ll show you the inside of a pre-decorated room. If you come down for open house this weekend, they’ll take you by an <em>actual</em> room, on a real floor, with students inside it (these are from students who have volunteered to have their room shown).</p>

<p>Can’t come down from California :slight_smile: but, I’ve seen the dorms. I agree – they are just dorms. Seemed fine to me.</p>

<p>The freshman dorms are actually really good for typical freshman dorms, with really big closets. But after that, there are no options beyond a “suite,” which is really just two rooms connected by a bathroom. UV is campus housing but it can’t be considered dorms considering they cost twice the price. Now that the apartments are gone, there really are just no good dorms for after sophomore year.</p>

<p>I actually think the University Village might save us money (or at least break even). Here is a cost break down per semester:</p>

<p>Standard Double Dorm Room - $3,224
14 Meal Plan (what most kids get) $2,205</p>

<p>Total $5,429</p>

<p>University Village (4 student/2 bedrooms)- $4,245 </p>

<p>University Village (4 students/4 bedrooms)- $4,590</p>

<p>So the first UV option leaves $1,184.00 for food and the second $839.00 for food for the semester in order to break even. If you use the apartments kitchen you can eat for much less. As it is now my daughter buys two huge containers of oatmeal at $2.00 a piece and has that in her dorm room for breakfast each morning. So the cost of her 1 meal for the whole semester is $4.00. So she could have her own bedroom, a kitchen, living room, parking, and still over a $800 for food. I really think it will save us money.</p>