Top Journalism Schools

<p>Those of you who got into NYU/Columbia, what are your stats? </p>

<p>also, did you take the mysterious columbia MS test? what’s it like?</p>

<p>in terms of their journalism programs, how do boston university and boston college compare?
thanks thanks thanks</p>

<p>LSU’s Manship School of Mass Communication has an awesome program. The professors are phenomenal, and you learn so much in all of your Mass Communication courses. The Manship School offers four concentrations: journalism, public relations, political communication, and advertising. The Manship School is one of the best schools in the nation, and the school only selects the best students. In general, LSU is very affordable, and LSU offers many generous scholarships to OOS.</p>

<p>what about UNC Chapel Hill? it has a great program and one of the best student publications in the nation. it should rank right up there with northwestern and Syracuse</p>

<p>My son is a senior this year and is interested in sports journalism. Any ideas on the best school ?</p>

<p>I want to write for EW too!</p>

<p>Mizzou is the best J-School . . .it is by far the most important school at the university.</p>

<p>Hey everyone! Ok so after months of desperation I decided to post, so ANY help would be greatly appreciated.
I graduated from Stony Brook University (SUNY) a year early with a double major in Sociology and Religious Studies (weird, I know). I was editor of my HS newspaper but did not write in college due to my heavy course load. I have studied abroad, made Dean’s List for many semesters and have several extracurricular activities from my undegrad years (I was an RA, won campus awards, and served on eboard for my sorority).
I realized my passion is with journalism but I am scared my stats are not good enough. </p>

<p>Age: 21 (grad 1 year early)
GPA: 3.02 ( I was a science major my first year…bad move).
GRE: still havent taken it but my base score with no studying for verbal was around 500.
Experience: Internship for Vogue Magazine for abotu a month for fashion week (Editorial department)</p>

<p>I love the field and KNOW that I can do well but I have no guidance on where to apply or anything. If I can get an internship with my local paper or based on just this is there ANY chance I could get in? MY dream school is USC. Also, I’m from NY so would I have an advantage being out of state? Thanks again!</p>

<p>Syracuse has an excellent program!!!</p>

<p>Hey everyone,
So I’ve applied to Columbia, Berkeley, CUNY; finishing up NYU and Mizzou, with Northwestern still left to do. My main goal is to break into environmental communications with either/both a concentration in magazine writing and environmental reporting. I’m graduating a year early, with a double in creative writing and environmental studies. Overall GPA is 3.62, though I just got my grades back this semester which brought the GPA up quite a bit, but as the school’s closed for winter break, it’s a little hard to go back and resend the transcripts. </p>

<p>I’ve been running a social club at the University for 2 years that’s given me a lot of great interpersonal and problem-solving skills. I’m an events coordinator for Earth Week (fall and spring) for University of Illinois’ largest/oldest/most active student environmental activist organization, and that’s allowed me to get to know a whole bunch of interesting people, like the former president of Greenpeace. I attended a week-long leadership training program with the Sierra Club. I’ve been a reporter for the college magazine for a year, music section editor for one summer, and I’ve contributed a few articles and short stories (not a whole lot) to the campus’ new environmental magazine and an online culture mag centered on the city of Urbana, IL. Gotten fairly good recommendations from a professor from each of my majors and my supervisor from a local environmental non-profit organization that pushes campaigns on protecting Illinois water systems. The latter is technically a volunteering experience, so I have no formal internships, but just a lot of event organizing and volunteering. </p>

<p>Again, my main interest is to 1) work in the city–the reason for Columbia, NYU, CUNY 2) work abroad, since I’m interested in developing countries 3) network with top-notch journalists. A little worried about the layoffs, particularly for environ. and investigative journalists, but a professor assured me that these budgetary problems will hopefully be temporary and if they start hiring again, it’ll be younger (less costly) journalists. </p>

<p>I’m also a little worried about the fact that I haven’t exactly had any experience studying abroad (due to combination of extra-curic demands and parents refusing to let me leave the country) and haven’t had any actual internships so far, though I researched articles at the non-profit for 10-12 hrs a week during last summer. </p>

<p>I suppose these are my questions:

1. Is my application likely to be put aside due to lack of professional experience?
  2. The personal statements are going alright, but I’m having some trouble with figuring out what Northwestern and Missouri want to hear from their “news essays.” Any former applicants have any advice on those?
  3. Columbia has a writing test for applicants. I’m wondering if it’s about the same as CUNY’s, since I just have their sample test to study from. But I hear it’s still, nonetheless, pretty difficult and I’m not sure where to start with materials to study from. </p>

<p>Thanks, and answers to any of the three would be helpful!</p>

<p>Perniciouspanda—I applied to virtually the same lot of schools as you did, except for Berkeley and Mizzou, and got accepted everywhere I applied. I ultimately ended up at CUNY (which I absolutely adore). </p>

<p>My classmates at CUNY have backgrounds that run the gamut. Several people have been working journalists, a few people have law degrees and a few people have been doing entirely random things for the past few years. I don’t think your lack of professional journalism experience will hurt you. Another draw for CUNY in your case is their very strong international reporting program, in which you are required to intern abroad for the summer. </p>

<p>I don’t remember the news essays from Medill. What are the questions? I do remember having to write one regarding journalism ethics and one other one that I don’t remember. Are these what you’re referring to?</p>

<p>As far as Columbia’s writing test, it doesn’t chance too much year to year and you can’t really study for it. Read the news EVERY DAY, if you don’t already, as you will be asked some pretty challenging identification questions regarding people, places and events that have been in the news. There will also be an essay questions of sorts; my question was about a story I would elect to pursue and how I would cover it.</p>

<p>For what it’s worth, I felt that Columbia and Medill (and even NYU, in a few ways) are very, very technologically behind. Columbia, in particular. The emphasis on entrepreneurism and interactive journalism at CUNY is one of the main things that drew me in. Of course, I absolutely love the faculty, the facilities and my peers too. (Not to mention it’s a great value, financially, compared to the other programs.)</p>

<p>Hi! I just saw your post on a thread re: choosing between Missouri and 'Cuse. I am from the East Coast, and had the exact same decision to make. My best advice would be to visit both campuses. They’re pretty different, and one of them is probably more likely to suit you. I know when I stepped on the Quad at Missouri, I was pretty sold. Still to this day I walk around campus (at any season) and sometimes stop to stare at how beautiful the campus is. </p>

<p>Also: Missouri is a school very based on its traditions. Every single student knows the Fight Song, the Alma Mater, what to do when you walk under the journalism arch, how to break into Farout Feild to kiss the 50 yard line, etc. To Mizzou students, school spirit is very important - Football games take an entire day, basketball games are attended, even on week nights, etc. So if you want a school that has a lot of spirit, Mizzou is probably the one. Just look at how the students’ support helped the football team beat (then ranked) #1 Oklahoma. Every announcer on ESPN’s College Gameday was talking about the beauty and spirit of the campus. </p>

<p>However, if you don’t want to be involved in a sorority or fraternity, you may want to consider 'Cuse. Mizzou’s Greek Life is very big, and many campus organizations are just FULL of “brothers” and “sisters” from the same Houses, who help each other get chosen for exclusive organizations every year. I’m Greek myself, and I love it! Mizzou invented Homecoming, so it’s really important to Greek Life and is a HUGE production. It’s a lot of fun, but if you’re not into that kind of thing, Mizzou might NOT be the place for you. </p>

<p>Personally, I think I made the right choice. I’m having the perfect college experience - everything I’ve wanted, from Greek Life, to an awesome sports program, to strong alumni connections, to interesting classes. Journalism wise, I think Missouri is much more up to date. Missouri J School students are well versed in how to use Twitter to effectively learn about and produce news, as well as other things. Technologically, Mizzou is the best J school out there. </p>

<p>Plus, you CANNOT beat the Mizzou Mafia. I’m only a Sophomore, and already I have 3 former Tigers helping me to find an internship this summer. Most students in the US don’t have a GOOD internship until after their Junior year. I have two internships at MAJOR advertising agencies this coming Tuesday, thanks to my Mizzou connections. </p>

<p>If you have any more questions about Mizzou, feel free to contact me! I’m an Ambassador to the Honors College, so I can answer a lot of questions about Mizzou academics too!</p>

<p>This is a very helpful thread. Since a few other posters have asked the same type of question, I thought I’d throw mine out there: which of these programs would be best for political journalism? I want to work for NBC News, more specifically MSNBC (I’ve interned for a prime-time program there already). I have a B.A. in Political Science. Thanks!</p>

<p>Thought this should be added to this thread…</p>

<p>The Annenberg School of Communication and Journalism at USC
received a $50 million dollar gift to build a new state of the art complex. This will feature the latest in computers, digital communication and classroom facilities. In addition, the school received a $5 million Annenberg gift to fund scholarships.</p>

<p>Major programs include: For undergraduates</p>

<p>Communication
Print and Digital Journalism
Public Relations
Broadcast Journalism</p>

<p>Will be finishing UG at Northwestern, Political Science and Journalism next year, currently a Junior. </p>

<p>I am wondering if grad school will be pointless?</p>

<p>Here’s the deal, I have an atypical path. I left school before to work in Tech for a few years in the Bay Area. Decided it really wasn’t for me. </p>

<p>I want to be located back in California again, LA/SF/Sacramento even would be fine to cover the Capital… while NW and Chicago are fun, I can’t stand the winters here, so definitely leaving when I am done. </p>

<p>Would consider Columbia or NYU as I know they are decent, but I am pretty sure most of them get placed into the NYC market… same with DC people. Again, don’t really have much interest in living over there, travelling fine, based out of? no.</p>

<p>My beat will be primarily public policy/tech… it is what I know. </p>

<p>So without further ado… I am considering</p>

<p>Stanford, UC Berkeley, USC or continuing on at Northwestern.</p>

<p>If I do not get into any of those… I am thinking of just taking my chances on the market w/o… as going to a lesser caliber school after already doing UG at NW might look odd? or be a step down. </p>

<p>Thoughts? Am I missing anything? Wouldn’t consider Madison/Colombia, MO or Gainesville… I am a big city person, I think I would go crazy there, as would my gf who would be coming with.</p>

<p>My other thoughts would be to get a MPP or MA Poli Sci, to focus in on that area… BUT, I would not be interesting in doing any actual policy work or research. So, it might be overkill…</p>

<p>Thanks.</p>

<p>I liked the University of Houston but it should be noted that it doesn’t offer journalism as a major (only as a focus) and it had next to no ability to place students into internships (also it’s not a tier one school, which makes things all the more harder). Thus I applied to grad school and so far I got into USC and UT. Still waiting on Northwestern and Columbia but those are longer shots because of my lack of experience. UT is closer to home and I would pay in-state tuition. USC to its credit is flying me out to L.A. and is interviewing me for a scholarship, which I really appreciate. Furthermore I’m from L.A. so it would be nice to go back. Assuming I don’t get in elsewhere, what’s the better option in terms of internships and job placement opportunities?</p>

<p>Oh wow! What program did you apply for at USC? You’re getting a fellowship interview, so that’s an awesome achievement on your part.</p>

<p>I’m a USC alum, applied to the MA in Specialized Journalism; it’s a later application date, so I’m not sure when I would even hear back. Ugh.</p>

<p>Both schools are great, and it really depends on what you want to do. I think, though, LA has more major news outlets than Texas. (I love Austin, but unemployment is super high there, from what I hear…) If it’s any help, I graduated from USC in May 2010 (BFA in writing) and currently work at Fox Sports in the editorial department.</p>

<p>i have a question for you all:</p>

<p>i was just recently offered a position in boston with a salary and benefits (i had been freelancing/blogging for free/unemployed for the past 8 months. guess that’s what i get for choosing journalism as a career choice, lol), but the salary isn’t mindblowing, and the job itself isn’t IDEAL, but it involves its fair share of writing.</p>

<p>BUT i just got accepted into the Newhouse School for 2011. </p>

<p>Should I ditch the job and head to grad school, or keep the job and pass on Newhouse? I’m not sure how I feel about passing on such a quality school. </p>

<p>thoughts would be appreciated.</p>

<p>James, I’m actually going in the opposite direction from you – I’m about to leave the world of journalism after a decade and a half and go back to school to be a teacher. Anyway, since you already have a degree and have been offered a job, I’d personally say head for Boston and that additional professional work experience. </p>

<p>Grad school will always be there, and personally, I think in a field like journalism, the professional experience is a heck of a lot more important than a graduate degree. Besides, you got into Newhouse once, so should you decide to go the grad-school route in the future, you’ll be an even stronger candidate next time around because of the additional experience.</p>

<p>And no, I’m not saying that just because I’m also itching to get out of Syracuse! ;)</p>

<p>i have applied to the grad programs at
E W Scripps school of journalism
nyu
cuny
columbia
univ of texas at austin
and syracuse</p>

<p>i got acceptance from scripps and i am in the waiting list at syracuse.</p>

<p>please let me know what do you all think of scripps as a journo school.?</p>