Top Journalism Schools

<p>The Masters and PH.D programs at The Michigan State University School of Journalism are one of the most productive in the nation. The School offers programs for careers in newspapers, magazines, radio, television, design and the visual arts.</p>

<p>Here is an excerpt from the School ( Communication</a> Arts and Sciences at Michigan State University - Pages : master's programs ):</p>

<p>The National Communication Association rated CAS doctoral programs as No. 1 in several areas in “effectiveness of the Ph. D. Program in educating researchers.” The Chronicle of Higher Education ranked the MIS doctoral program in the top echelon based on faculty scholarly productivity. Furthermore, studies presented at the Association for Educators in Journalism and Mass Communication ranked MSU as second in the country for producing and encouraging student publications in journalism and mass communication peer-reviewed journals. We encourage collaborations.</p>

<p>The School of Journalism at Michigan State is, without a doubt, one of the finest in the country.</p>

<p>Hello, I want to work at the travel channel, what carrer should i persue? do you recommend a specific school?</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>ME TOO! I’m gonna major in Public Relations, Communications, or Media Studies and minor or double major in a language or international studies.</p>

<p>what do people who go to j-grad school major as a undergrad? anything? what are the most common ones, or ones that is liked by j-grad school? thanks. i want to be a jounalist, am thinking ahead. i like music (very good at several instruments) and good at math. i LOVE to write. i also love world history …</p>

<p>Hi everybody,
I’ve read this thread through and its been great. Thanks to all the regular contributors!
So I’m about a week away from my BA graduation. I’m an Autralian and I did my Arts degree in history/ lit at an Aussie uni which i then went abroad with and studied in the last six months at UPenn on exchange.
So my queries are in regards to postgrad study in the states. In a while with a bit more resume-building/work experience I want apply postgrad to J school in the states. Preferrably to Columbia or Berkeley. Even though the job-rates, even from those places, are still only barely above 50% thats still better than the hideous standards in Oz which qualify as ‘journalism’ courses.
How seriously do they take grades into the postgrad admittance process for something hands-on like journalism? My undergrad grades are really average but I’m hoping that with: </p>

<ol>
<li>writing for a few local Aussie publications.</li>
<li>a literary agency job</li>
<li>volunteer-dovelopment work overseas for an aide agency in a communications-type position</li>
<li>unrelated work in disabilities caring and admin.</li>
<li>unrelated work in high school special needs teaching.</li>
<li>evidence of a prior scholarship grant</li>
<li>a local short-story prize in fiction</li>
</ol>

<p>Plus when I was at Penn I got told that being Australian (being a non-Asian minority) aides the chances. Also (haven’t done this yet) I’m thinking of setting up a blog and accruing a decent readership/subscriber base.</p>

<p>Would all/ any of the above be sufficient to override mediocre grades and get me into a top J school?</p>

<p>NYU has a pretty good Journalism school at CAS.</p>

<p>i have a jd and have been practicing for a few years as a prosecutor. i’ve decided to look into broadcast journalism. my name says it all. i grew up in miami (am completely bilingual), went to a top ten undergrad school and the university of miami for law school. i’ve been living in boston for the past few years and wouldn’t mind staying or going for my masters degree. i’ve looked into BU and have requested information from Syracuse and Columbia. Any and all constructive advice is welcome. i thank you in advance.</p>

<p>Medill @ Northwestern isn’t what it used to be but it’s still the best in the country. If you’re serious about journalism, Medill is where you should be. If you have doubts about the field (which is changing rapidly), I’d look elsewhere.</p>

<p>This is being posted as information in this thread. USC Annenberg School for Communication and Journalism is offering a new minor beginning in fall of 2010. It is a competitive minor which requires college credits and at least a 3.0+ college GPA. </p>

<p>The new minor will be: Sports Media Studies</p>

<p>For more information regarding the new minor: Phone 213 821 0770</p>

<pre><code> E-mail annenberg.usc.edu

FAX 213 821 5574

</code></pre>

<p>mattw09… it depends on what kind of journalism training you want. Medill is not your typical journalism program and some people actually prefer other kinds of journalism training. It’s important to look into a school’s program, and because every school has their own style of teaching and learning, Medill may not be a top choice for one student, but may be for another. Same with any other schools. But I’d say Medill is a less traditional J-school.</p>

<p>Hi, Guys I am one confused Senior! Ah! Okay so I got accepted to both SYRACUSE and MISSOURI… I want to major in broadcast journalism… and become an anchor! I reside in IL… I dont mind moving to Syracuse but the tuition is soaring high… Besides that… Where should I attend? Missouri or Syracuse? and why?</p>

<p>teriwtt,
You’re right and I wrote that Medill isn’t what it used to be. The traditional aspects of writing and reporting are less stressed than multimedia training now which may turn off some applicants. Medill may not be a traditional J-school but you could argue that journalism is losing a lot of its traditional" ways as well.</p>

<p>is university of missouri better or northwestern for graduate studies in journalism?</p>

<p>To MayraNajera… go to Mizzou. Better ranking, Mizzou Mafia when it comes to jobs, better winters than Syracuse, overall better experience. Good luck!</p>

<p>To Mayra Newhouse the best for BJ!</p>

<p>what schools have undergrad programs for sports journalism?</p>

<p>I’m interested in journalism but not 100% sure about it as my career choice. I’ve been accepted to mizzou, usc, and nyu…
I’m not sure which one I should go to. Any advice?</p>

<p>What about BU for journalism???</p>

<p>I’m a current media professional, that is to say plainly, I work in news. </p>

<p>Things to consider if you are going back to J-school. If you’re going into broadcast, you must have strong writing skills, and at this time you should be adequately proficient with online management and video editing.</p>

<p>There has been an unusual trend to hire, younger people because of this.</p>

<p>Someone mentioned, its best to get your foot in the door without a degree. Without having a journalism background, you’ll be surprised how often people who just “think news is cool,” can easily get rejected. I know because, whenever I had the chance to interview someone, based on their resume, the person with the journalism background, be it major, or previous working experience, made more sense to call first. </p>

<p>It helps if you are a reporter to have a business background sure, but reporting, and working in news isn’t something that you walk into. It’s complicated to say the least.</p>

<p>No one wants to say this, but let me say it this way, if you look at TV news, whether you think its a joke or not, the anchors/ readers, and reporters are trending to be very good looking people. Will you be upset if someone gets a job over you because they are better looking? You are likely never to find out those dealings. Its something no one likes to talk about but its going on never the less.</p>

<p>If youre in print or magazine its much different…it’s not field of work either.</p>

<p>Anywho, I wish to get a master’s degree to teach one day and to get a little upgrade in my pay-scale. Best wishes to all.</p>

<p>From my research not in order…</p>

<ol>
<li>NU - Medill</li>
<li>Syracuse</li>
<li>USC - Annenberg</li>
<li>Columbia</li>
<li>Berkeley</li>
<li>NYU</li>
<li>Boston U</li>
<li>Arizona - Walter Cronkite</li>
<li>Bowling Green or Maryland</li>
<li>Texas</li>
<li>Georgetown</li>
</ol>

<p>I applied to the top listed 6 and got admitted to all. I chose Syracuse for their broadcast program. It was very hands on, and seemed a lot more like a TV newsroom then the others. It was also probably one of the shorter programs, making it economically much more feasible for me.</p>