Top Liberal art... so why aren't we there??!

<p>Why isn't CC listed under the top liberal arts category? Year after year they make it onto most top liberal art and college lists... so why aren't we on the CC Top Liberal Arts college list?</p>

<p>and by we i mean the forum we’re all on right now!</p>

<p>Not on the East (or West) coast.</p>

<p>I’ve wondered about that, too. What does “top” mean? Apparently not altitude. </p>

<p>I vaguely recall someone suggesting it had to do with the volume of posts related to each college. Whether the list ever changes, I don’t know.</p>

<p>@07DAD- No. Almost always makes it to the top of the following list:
[Liberal</a> Arts Rankings - Best Colleges - Education - US News and World Report](<a href=“http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/liberal-arts-rankings]Liberal”>http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/liberal-arts-rankings)</p>

<p>And I recently saw it listed even above Emory and other universities on a compiled list of all private, public, liberal, science etc. colleges as a best value. #50 or something. I think that says something.</p>

<p>@tk21769: Yeah, i thought that might be the case, but a look at some of the schools on that list would suggest otherwise. they don’t all have more posts than the CC thread. some have the same number or less. </p>

<p>so… still wondering 0_o I can understand that it’s not popular enough… but still.</p>

<p>whoaness–my observation is not that Colorado College is not top tier among its peers and in the published rankings, it is that on College Confidential the “top liberal arts” catagory is not geared to view/rank a Western LAC as “top” when there are better known LACs that seem to be closer to the coasts.</p>

<p>I know that Colorado College ranks highly in the “real world” and especially on “value.”</p>

<p>I still strongly believe it belongs on that list. Regardless of ranking etc.</p>

<p>I have wondered the same thing. Last year I even emailed College Confidential
and asked them why CC was left off the “top liberal arts” list. I did not receive a response.
US News and World Reports ranks CC ahead of several of the LACs listed as top liberal arts schools on College Confidential, ie. Kenyon, Mt Holyoke</p>

<p>^ This year, US News ranks Colorado College ahead of the following 9 (out of 30 schools) on that list:</p>

<p>Barnard College
Bates College
Bryn Mawr College
Kenyon College
Macalester College
Mount Holyoke College
Reed College
Trinity College (Connecticut)
Whitman College</p>

<p>In addition, Colorado College has a lower admission rate than 11 of the 23 liberal arts colleges that US News ranks more highly.</p>

<p>Trinity certainly doesn’t belong there.</p>

<p>tk, while Colorado college is a fantastic school, and in my opinion belongs on the list of cc’s top LACs, its admission rate is only a very recent phenomenon and shouldn’t be a determining factor anyway.</p>

<p>^ Right, the admission rate is not the only factor that makes a school more or less selective. It’s a determining factor, but not the only factor. If you consider the admit rate, test scores, and GPA/rank together (as US News does) to arrive at a composite “selectivity” measure, then Colorado College ranks a little higher than Trinity, Mt. Holyoke, and Bryn Mawr, a little lower than Bates, Whitman, and Macalester. These schools are all close enough that, even if you care about this measure, it still would be reasonable to pick any one over the others based on other personal preferences.</p>

<p>And yes, admit rates at many schools have been sharply lower in recent years. Demographics (the “echo boom”). I don’t know if CC’s position in the US news pecking order has moved significantly up or down in recent years. Somewhere I think there is a “time machine” site where you can examine old information such as the US News ranking pages for past years.</p>

<p>I think CC has (justifiably) shot up in the rankings and selectivity much more than other LACs in the past 10 years. I see Pitzer doing that now. Some schools sort of “catch on” and experience a sudden popularity. CC was ranked 34th (still not shabby!) in 2005 or 04, and students were able to get in without stellar stats.</p>

<p>Personally, I like the fact that we are not on the list. People get too focused on lists and where or where not a school is on them. People should choose a school based on fit, not “focus on list.” I would have chosen CC over any of the top 20 even it ranked 50th. I think that is the beauty of the school for most of us here…there is too much to list about what sets us apart from the top 20…you either belong here or you don’t…none of my friends here chose CC because of the ranking, so they say.</p>