Why is CC not listed as a top LAC on this site?

<p>Prior to my S 's decision to attend Colorado College this fall I was not very familiar with the college and its academic reputation. After doing my homework ---as a graduate of Mount Holyoke College I did note that US News and World Reports ranks it above MHC --I am very impressed and curious why College Confidential does not list Colorado College under "top LACs".</p>

<p>Probably because it's in a western state not an eastern one....</p>

<p>I'd guess the reason, is that those schools are the ones that have the most activity on College Confidential, not because of the school's ranking.</p>

<p>Let's keep it low profile until after my 2010 kid is accepted :)</p>

<p>I think boulderco is correct. There was a thread a year or so ago about which colleges are listed on College Confidential as "top" and the activity seems to be a controlling factor.</p>

<p>USC has a verrrry very active thread, and yet it is not listed as a top university. I think it even "ranks" ahead of a couple of the schools on the top universities (for whatever that's worth). But I agree with Wayoutwestmom-- this forum has a GIGANTIC eastern bias. This college merits way more activity than it gets here, and I notice this with Pacific NW schools as well. But whatever, I like the West so much more than the East in the first place, so I guess it's good if some of the Eastern people don't know about the great Western institutions...</p>

<p>US News ranks Colorado College as #26. CC skips around and includes some colleges down to #37 on it's "Top LAC's" list, but not Colorado College. What's up with that?</p>

<p>Whitman is included as a top school, and it is in the west (and #37). I'm betting lack of activity is the problem, which is circular. If Colorado College was listed as a Top LAC, there would be more activity.</p>

<p>BTW, sorry for the duplicate post. Although I have been visiting this site for several months that was my first post. I still curse my sister-in-law for getting me hooked. I am now totally addicted.I definitely think Colorado College deseveres a spot on the top LAC list. My S turned down Grinnell for Colorado College and although I think Grinnell offers an amazing education and certianly has plenty of money he is convinced his education at CC will be every bit as good. I have to agree with WayOutWestMom--not being in the East is certainly a draw back for a LAC. Although I now live in the midwest, as an MHC graduate I had to warm up to the idea of a LAC in
the West.</p>

<p>Colorado College is in a really unique location for a LAC. I think it is the only highly rated LAC between the West Coast and the Midwest.</p>

<p>I am not sure that lack of site activity is the key. Boston College is very popular on this site, for instance, and it is not listed as one of CC's top colleges.</p>

<p>boulderco, don't forget about Whitman, located in Walla Walla, Washington, pretty far from the west coast. It made the "top" list on CC. Colo College belongs there too....</p>

<p>The Whitman threads frankly have not had alot of activity</p>

<p>I live in the west, and I mention College Confidential from time to time, as I share my wealth of illgotten knowledge. I've never run into another person who knows what I'm talking about, and these are parents of high school seniors applying to selective schools. I guess CC is like Manifest Destiny, but hasn't quite hit the other ocean yet.</p>