Touring The Lucky

<p>It’s a system that encourages racial and class segregation and that perpetuates the coastie/sconnie problem. UW needs to build enough housing for its students so that students don’t have to choose.</p>

<p>Public and private options are available at many other Universities. I know you are really into the whole “sconnie/coastie” divide thing and everyone thinks the privates are more expensive and thus “coastie dorms.” However, as it was pointed out in another thread, Lucky and Regent are actually cheaper this year than many of the UW Housing options…which makes them available to even those lower class, poor, barely scraping by freshmen from Mequon, Brookfield, Whitefishbay and other economically challenged areas of Wisconsin (sarcasm intended). UW has enough housing to house all of their freshmen now…it’s true, look it up and do the math Wis75…plus they are building more. UW chooses to house both freshmen and undergrads. There are lots of other more timely areas you can use to take shots at UW (here’s a hint, think Bo Ryan). This isn’t one of them. Having multiple great housing options (which is not one of UVA’s strengths judging from the website…which is pretty awful by the way) is a benefit, not a deterrent.</p>

<p>Good to “see” you though. Keeping up with this site was getting boring without you.</p>

<p>I didn’t know we were talking about the University of Virginia. But, since you brought it up, it’s worth noting that U-Va both requires that all first years live on campus and guarantees them all housing. No scrambling to find a bed at U-Va.</p>

<p>Pretty outstanding of them to require first years to live on campus and then go that extra step of providing them a bed too. I would definitely put that in the marketing material:</p>

<p>“Come to U-VA where we require you to live on campus AND give you a bed to sleep on”</p>

<p>That’s like saying they both require you to register for classes AND they have faculty to teach those classes. </p>

<p>The only reason a school would require anyone to live on campus is because, if given the choice, the students would choose not to. I find it more impressive that UW gives students the choice and their housing is still full.</p>

<p>I don’t find it impressive that the UW board is perpetually littered with post after post of students and parents wringing their hands over where to live, what it might cost, and what sort of racial, geographic, or economic group is most prevalent in each type of housing. </p>

<p>To each his own I guess.</p>

<p>Most UW students don’t bother with this board. A huge reason to discuss pros and cons of housing at UW is the many diverse options. Too many good choices. Students are given many adult freedoms and not treated like children who need to conform to one living style. I refuse to waste my time doing the pricing homework- let those who need the info do so, considering all costs- monetary and time. I do know The Regent has been around since my day, as have most of the Res Halls dorms. Res Halls has kept all dorms updated equally- unlike what I have heard about some schools across the country. Res Halls still remains the gold standard for freshmen. There has been a vast improvement in off campus apartments, including so many more close to campus, so it makes sense for students familiar with the campus to choose that lifestyle. It also makes sense for incoming freshmen unfamiliar with college and being away from home to join the majority of their peers in the well run Res Halls dorms. Sometimes a bit of distance from the growing up process is needed to appreciate the new college student needs- rising sophomores and juniorsmay forget how much they have changed since their freshman fall. UW students (then alumni) tend to be independent thinkers and it shows in the diverse opinions given.</p>

<p>I am currently living in Lucky 101 as a freshman student. I have to say I am NOT impressed by lucky apartments, especially regarding the freshman experience. I toured lucky the summer of my senior year after being admitted to UW. The rooms my mom and I saw were very big and in excellent condition and I made the decision to live at lucky. On move in day I got to my apartment and found my room and it was TINY. You could not walk through the doorway without pushing up against the wall because there was a desk in the way…That was the only place the desk would fit, in the entry way to the room. The double-rooms we toured in the summer were much bigger than the room I got. I went over and looked at my suit-mates room (a single) and it was much much bigger than mine and my roommate’s which makes no sense because there is only one person living there. The room is the size of a regular dorm room with a smaller shared closet. The rooms are not worth the amount of money you pay. That was only the beginning of my dissatisfaction living at lucky. I signed up for early move in and it was a total waste of money. We did one activity the first day and that was it so there goes my parent’s 250$…They try to take every bit of money out of you as possible. For example, cable is 45$ a month for a 3-4 bedroom apartment when it is free for students in regular dorms (not that I have cable or want it but I just noticed this). The social scene here is not something I was expecting. I only know three people living here, my roommate, and my two suit-mates who don’t speak english. It is impossible to meet people here as a freshman because no one keeps their doors open like they do in dorms. Also, there are constant parties here so good luck getting homework done on Thursdays. You would think that it would be harder to get away with things living here but it is in fact a lot easier. There are no quite hours like there are in dorms which are at 11 p.m. I have been in my room in bed at 2 a.m. on a Tuesday and felt my room shaking from the bass from the room above us. Also, everyone comes here from other places to party on weekends. I’ll be walking back from dinner with my friend at 10 p.m. on Friday not even able to get to the door let alone through it because of how filled the lobby is of people waiting for whoever is having the party to come down and let them up. I drink and I’m fine with parties but not when I have to put earplugs in on a Thursday night because I have class at 8:50 in the morning Friday. I remember having our floor meeting the first day I moved to lucky. The staff-person was speaking about drugs and alcohol and literally said “We know you are going to have parties so just keep it down and make sure no one is in the hallways.” Of course everyone at the meeting was already planning to invite everybody they could over to get wasted because they could get away with it. After the first day my hallway has constantly smells like pot. I have friends in three different dorms and my favorite one would have to be Merit Hall. My friend shares a room much bigger than the average dorm size (including my room in Lucky) and she has a sink, and a full bathroom in her room. Also, I have seen the difference socially between dorms and lucky and have to say that as a freshman I wish I lived at Merit. They are very social and I am friends with more people at other dorms than I am here and they have quite hours on the weekday at 11 pm. for people who want to study. As for the stereotypes about people living in lucky…I have found them to be true. I am from Wisconsin myself so I do not fit the “coastie” stereotype or any other at lucky…hell everyday for class I get up put on jeans and a sweatshirt and leave. I am embarrassed to tell people I meet that I live here because I don’t want to be stereotyped as a stuck-up brat. I’m just a studious girl from Wisconsin who is serious about school…I laugh to myself when I walk in the building with other people…they look at me like “what are you doing here.” Of course my roommate is a “coastie” and fits just about every stereotype there is about girls that live at lucky including the orange skin…lets just say we don’t get along well although I try my best to. Anyways…enough of my long rant. For any freshmen looking into living at Lucky do not do it! It’s not worth the money and you will not get the same freshman experience you would get if you were living in a regular dorm. Good luck with your decisions and I would highly recommend Merit Hall for all you serious students out there who still want to be social :slight_smile: p.s. I have never written anything for a forum so this is just supposed to be a rant of my experience living at Lucky</p>

<p>Wow- what an insight to Lucky. Merit only houses 68 students so it is not a typical Res Halls (public) dorm. Sorry you got stuck in your situation. Don’t worry about stereotypes- and I’m sure there are dorm people who would love to get to see the inside of Lucky so invite any interested ones you like. Don’t be embarrassed, make excuses or whatever.</p>

<p>Be sure to interact with people in your classes and don’t be shy about eating in the Res Halls dining facilities with them. You can also go solo to those and meet people. Also become involved in any campus activities that interest you. Early in the fall new freshmen tend to be with those in their dorm but as time goes by and everyone becomes familiar with the campus social networks change. Your friends will come from your interests- in classes and activities- not where you live.</p>

<p>As far as “mistakes” in housing, others will also wish they had chosen differently. The good news is it only has to be the place you sleep and is only for several more months, and you can eat with dorm students unlike at some campuses. You are a full member of the campus community-remember that and enjoy your first year of college.</p>

<p>PS- even in the Res Halls dorms not everyone has roommates they do things with or are friends with.</p>