Transfer acceptance rate?

<p>Hello...I haven't posted in several months (being in college will do that to you!), but I was wondering about the transfer acceptance rate. According to CollegeBoard, 53% of freshman applicants were accepted, but only 1,952 out of 4,271 transfer applicants were accepted. (That's an acceptance rate of 45.7%.) I always hear that it is easier to get in as a transfer than as a freshman, but how can that be, given that the transfer acceptance rate is even less than the freshman one? It just doesn't make sense...</p>

<p>hello there I think you have your stats wrong. freshmans have very very tough time getting to a 4 year school and it also depends on which schools we're talking about. transnfer students are given way more priority than freshmans because of their experience and less "want a be" attitude. Think about all those people you have met that get over 4.0 and all those goddamm extracurricular activities that are a pain to the neck, the SAT ACT, etc and they still get rejected? that is just not right and really unfair, although I am quite franqly not in favor of a student going straight to a university, but I do admit that everyone is different and whoever wants to go straight good luck. Personally my dream has always been a transfer student, to tell you the truth I think it should be more equally balanced, and freshman applicants should not be put that big pressure of so high GPA'S so many AP'S, community service, and those hard exams, etc. this is one of the reasons I didnt want to go straight when I had a chance, no way I am not the kind of a person who likes to stress himself with everything on so many exams and requirements. I am more of a school person and get the highest grades possible but boy those requirements for freshman aplicants are overboard.. and then getting rejected? that must be a pain, for us transfers if you think about it, we dont relly need 4.0's to get in as long as we have our stuff comepleted, and good essay, we dont need no sat, act, ap exams, etc. But yes your stats are wrong, transfer students have more advantage although it depends on the school certainly not the high tier ones. But, here's a thing I ve heard. stanford, and harvard dont like transfer students for some reason they are big racists, they dont accept many students so perhaps your getting the stats from those schools, but not the rest. what you think?</p>

<p>No, my stats are correct...take a look at my source.</p>

<p>College</a> Search - University of Wisconsin-Madison - Admission</p>

<p>1,952 out of 4,271 is 45.7%, which is lower than the freshman acceptance rate (53%). So how can it be easier to get in as a transfer?</p>

<p>Comparing transfer to new admissions statistics can be like comparing apples to oranges. They are in different selection pools. Use the official UW website for the most accurate and detailed information. Check the data link to UW Academic Planning of the UW Office of the Provost- my attempts with a hyperlink failed (need college son to be willing to show me how- sorry). They have links to data regarding freshman and transfer admissions- transfers have a higher yield. The two groups do not compete with each other. You have to consider other factors when trying to relate the two, especially the applicant pool. Once people go to a second choice college they may stay, some transfers go to area tech schools et al knowing they can transfer, some who wish to transfer still don't have competitive credentials...</p>

<p>Admissions are limited by resources available- they are different for incoming freshmen taking the intro courses and those taking advanced courses in many different majors. You are a statistic of one. Don't worry about chances- if you have the academic credentials to be admitted you are likely to get in. Some students reapply without improving their gpa or otherwise making themselves better able to do UW work. </p>

<p>Chesserforlife- your post shows immaturity and/or ignorance, especially when yopu try to blame racism for decisions without good data to back up your claims. Please restrict yourself to facts and limit them to those relevant to the thread- UW in this case. It is reasonable for some colleges to want their students to get all of their coursework at their institution- their advanced classes presume knowledge gained in previous courses, afterall. </p>

<p>Do not blame your EC's as the reason you didn't get in- grades and test scores count most. Those with comparable test scores, grades and recs who also find time to do other things- EC's- have shown they can do more than those who don't. Substitituting EC's for getting top grades does not prepare you for the rigors of UW-Madison college work. Not having time for activities shows you may be overloaded with the academic workload at UW.</p>

<p>As always, remember that statistics can usually be manipulated to try to prove any point you choose. You need further backup to support claims, numbers out of context don't yield correct conclusions.</p>

<p>Never mind...I just figured it out. The transfer acceptance rate is lower because a much greater proportion of admitted transfer students will actually enroll. (Most admitted freshmen will not.) Also, the acceptance rate logically says nothing about how hard it is to get in, i.e. the expectations. So my original instincts were wrong--it really is easier to get in as a transfer.</p>