Transfer Chances with Low GPA

<p>I apologize in advance for the length of this post.</p>

<p>I went to an unremarkable out-of-state school for two semesters my freshman year and bombed with a 1.61 GPA and three failed classes. I was not stupid and did not lack academic interest: my underwhelming performance the result general immaturity, an unsuitable major, and emotional problems stemming from homesickness and family issues. Additionally, I was diagnosed with moderate inattentive ADHD (which I have since learned to manage). I take full responsibility for my pitiful performance and truly regret not working to my potential.</p>

<p>Upon heading home to Wisconsin and lamenting my mistakes, I took two years off and grew up immensely. I can barely reconcile the person I am now with my seventeen-year-old self. After my two-year hiatus, I went back to an in-state community college part-time (averaging six credits per semester) while working a full-time job as an underwriter at a bank, where I am still employed. </p>

<p>Here is the basic information regarding my situation:
GPA at previous institution: 1.61
GPA at current institution: 4.0 (on 18 credits and a challenging and varied course load - 8 credits in progress for Spring 2012)
Cumulative GPA at both institutions: 2.59
Member of Phi Theta Kappa and the Honors program at current institution
In-state applicant
Projected transfer date: Fall 2013</p>

<p>I’m not sure if these matter, but I’m including my high school statistics in case they will be helpful:
High School GPA: 3.57
ACT: 27
3 AP classes (English literature, psychology, biology)
Few extracurricular activities (French NHS, tennis)</p>

<p>My question is this: will a strong upward trend coupled with the two years I took to grow up help mitigate my past performance? Also, does my status as a part-time student and full-time employee send a signal to admissions committees that I’m not serious about school (especially since my job is wholly unrelated to my academic interests and ambitions)? I know that other factors come in to play such as letters of recommendation and an impressive essay, neither of which should be a problem. Plus, there is still a year and a half for me to continue my upward trend (and I have every intention of doing so); however, I’m curious if I should either bother applying to UW-Madison when the time comes due to my uneven history. </p>

<p>Also, is there anything I can do to increase my chances for admission when the time comes? In my application, would it be beneficial to briefly mention the reasons for my past performance, admit responsibility, and then humbly allude to my hiatus and current accomplishments? Or should I avoid drawing attention to it altogether?</p>

<p>Thanks for reading; I genuinely appreciate any input you can provide.</p>

<p>I value the comments and info posted by others on CC, but with your unique situation, perhaps calling Admissions during one of their quieter periods (since you have some time) and talking with someone who handles transfers would provide the best advise.</p>

<p>Good Luck! Obviously you’ve gotten things together!!</p>

<p>Good idea to discuss with UW admissions (but since there won’t be a “quiet time” for many months, just go ahead and call soon). You should be able to transfer with your recent academic record since you have taken time to mature. Working will not hurt you, it should help- a reason many older students attend college is the need to work. In fact, you are showing you can handle life as a mature adult by working and taking classes. Be sure you will have 24 transferable credits before starting UW- you can apply before completing them. Poor grades may make some of your early work not transfer (something to find out- check the UW transfer website).</p>

<p>Good Luck! from me as well.</p>

<p>All good stuff, but with his projected transfer date of Fall 2013, I thought the Admissions people might be busy dealing with people(Fresh & transfers) waiting to hear about Fall 2012 vs. Fall 2013.</p>

<p>Thank you both for your advice… I truly appreciate your insight!</p>