Transfer Chances

<p>I am currently a freshmen at the University of Central Florida, I intend to major in mechanical engineering. By the end of my summer semester at UCF I will have slightly over 60 credits and plan on maintaining around a 3.8 GPA. How are my chances for being accepted and or scholarships? My EFC is also 0, how generous is UM regarding financial aid?</p>

<p>My Fall, Spring, and Summer terms will look like this</p>

<p>Summer B
Psychology-A
Trig-A</p>

<p>Fall
Calculus I-A
ENC 1102-B+
Microeconomics-A
Macroeconomics-A
Intro To Engineering I-A</p>

<p>Spring
Calculus II
Physics for Engineers
Chemistry I
Philopshy
Intro to Engineering II</p>

<p>Summer C
Calculus III
Differential Equations
Physics for Engineers II
Chemistry II</p>

<p>In addition to those courses I have CLEPT out of Biology, and two American History classes.</p>

<p>Again I plan to maintain atleast a 3.8 GPA, do you think that I have chance as a Fall 2009</p>

<p>You should have no trouble getting in.</p>

<p>I am community college student who is looking at both UCF and UM. What is that you don't like about UCF and what is it you like about UM?</p>

<p>Honestly UCF is great and I would not mind staying at all. I have always wanted to go to UM and it is closer to my home (Ft. Laderdale). I also came from a really small high school (600) students so I like the feeling of a close knit community. Both campuses are gorgeous, both have the strengths for different programs, I just feel UM is the more diverse campus. A extremely large portion of UM are OOS student compared to UCF which has a significant number of in state students.</p>

<p>Also, I meant to ask, UM is going to accept those summer courses that you're going to take? I'm not asking whether the courses are transferable, because I'm sure they are. I just mean whether they accept courses taken in the summer prior to transferring. </p>

<p>And lastly, aside from the school and environment as a whole, how do you feel about UM's engineering vs. UCF's?</p>

<p>BrandonR,</p>

<p>I'll be honest with you. You're going to have a better college experience at the University of Central Florida, because it has more of the college feel since it's a large, public school. Before you make your decision, you need to carefully consider what you want out of your college experience. </p>

<p>Academics:
At Miami, you will have better academics with smaller classes and one on one interactions with your professor, while at UCF, you have to deal with online classes and examinations that are administered in computer labs.</p>

<p>Social Life:
You will have a better mix of kids at UCF just because it's a public school and attracts a lot of down to earth, middle class people due to instate tuition and Florida scholarships. At Miami, you will have to deal with a much more superficial student body. I transferred from the University of Maryland last year, and I do not regret it, but it has taken me a while to get acquainted with the university and find my social niches. Also,UCF has more of that party-school feel, because all activities do not occur off campus and Orlando is a fairly more affordable town. Most of the students spend their weekends at Coconut Grove or South Beach at some of the most popular spots (Mansion, BED) which could be very expensive. At UCF, you have a lot of on campus activities, like parties in dorms and frat house parties. Miami fraternities do not allow non-brothers to their parties, which again explains the superficial environment.</p>

<p>Student Body:
The student body at the University of Miami is a sublime melting pot. We have students from all over the world. I have friends from India, Pakistan, South America, Spain, Asia, Europe and quite a few other places (Australia among others). University of Central Florida is mainly comprised of Florida residents due to instate tuition and scholarships (Florida Bright Futures). Miami is also filled with a lot of students from the tri-state area (NY, NJ, PA) as well as other regions (Mid-east; lot of Maryland and Virginians). However, it is much easier finding nicer people at UCF. Probably 1 out of every 10 students you meet in the day at Miami are worth your time, whereas at UCF it's a 1 out of 5 retention rate.</p>

<p>Opportunities:
You will have a better chance of getting a higher paying job and have access to selective events such as summer internships, research, etc, at the University of Miami, due to their huge alumni base who donate much more than money. The Alumni own work and even own some of the most well-known and successful companies, and they love to pass on their guidance to the current students of UM. </p>

<p>In conclusion, I'm happy with my move, as a I've adjusted to the change of campuses. However, Miami is not a match for everyone, and people should definitely consider these pros and cons before committing to four years of their life.</p>

<p>Ibanmd,</p>

<p>To be completely honest I feel UCF engineering program in stronger in every aspect. Although the rankings may not show this but when it comes to job opportunities UCF's program parallels UF and GT. This has been documented by surveys from over 15 different companies on the level of satisfaction in UCF graduates. I am freshmen but yet have received a internship with an engineering firm, Riegl USA. I intern with a senior EE student and she had just turned down Berkeley (Masters Degree) to work somewhere else in California but nonetheless its a great opportunity and shows the job placement strength of the program.</p>