Transfer from WashU to Columbia Advice

Hey! I’m a rising freshman at Washington University in St. Louis, majoring in computer science. However, I eventually want to transfer to Columbia University. In high school, I maintained a GPA of 3.8 and scored 1520 on the SATs (1530 super-scored). I am curious about the likelihood of being accepted into Columbia and would appreciate any advice on improving my chances. Also, I’m wondering how much my high school GPA will affect my transfer application, given that it’s not really that good. Thank you!

Why do you want to transfer?

If you want to transfer as a sophomore (i.e. just after frosh year), your high school record and your college record will matter. If you want to transfer as a junior (i.e. just after sophomore year), your high school record will be less relevant compared to your (by that time) greater college record. No one now can chance you for transfer since you do not have a college record.

Columbia has significant Columbia-specific core or general education requirements, so transfer students may need to “catch up” on them, increasing the risk of delaying graduation.

7 Likes

I also am wondering about the same question that @ucbalumnus asked above: Why do you want to transfer?

Generally to transfer to an Ivy League university (or other top ranked university) you need a good academic reason. I do not understand what it would be in this case.

Years ago I got to participate in a computer science seminar at WUSTL. I was impressed with the students in the seminar and the professor leading the seminar, and had a great visit.

If I understand your question you have not even started yet at WUSTL. It is a very good university with a strong CS program. My suggestion is that you congratulate yourself on getting accepted to a very good university, and that you go there intending to make a strong effort to stay ahead in your classes and to do well. Remember that software can take longer to debug than you might expect. This is only one of several reasons why staying ahead in your work will help you out.

2 Likes

I assume you applied to Columbia and weren’t accepted ?

It won’t be easy - just as WUSTL won’t be easy. If you were turned down out of HS, it will be even harder (I believe). That said, I wouldn’t diminish yourself - because WUSTL took you and unless ED, it’s a very hard admit as well…so congrats.

But here’s what you need below. Good luck to you - but I have a feeling you’re going to love WUSTL - what a gorgeous campus and fantastic dorms!! Go all in there so you have a wonderful first year vs. having one foot out the door!!

Good luck.

The majority of successful applicants to Columbia Engineering have completed an engineering track curriculum. For applicants with first-year standing at time of application this includes:

• Two semesters of Calculus
  • Two semesters of Physics
  • One semester of Chemistry

They also mention a 3.5 in major and overall.

1 Like

I have a family member who was just accepted as a Soph->Junior transfer (coming from a T40 State Flagship) at a T10 school that rejected him as a high school applicant. He has a crazy high college GPA, unique ECs and a very compelling academic reason to transfer. His essays were much more genuine (and edgy) than the safe essays he wrote as a high school applicant. He also didn’t need any financial aid, which helps. With all of that, he was rejected by every other school he applied to as a transfer (I think there were 6 or 7 others). Not even waitlisted. One of the schools that rejected him was Columbia. The point I am trying to make with all of this is you can have a terrific profile as a transfer applicant and the odds are still very much against you. There is nothing wrong with taking a shot but go into it knowing you are likely to stay at WashU (which is an incredible school).

1 Like

What do you want to do with CS? A close friend’s daughter just graduated from WashU’s business school with majors in CS/finance/math. She interned for JP Morgan last summer and got a return offer, so she will be working in NYC starting as a IB analyst this month.

(She had higher grades and SATs than you have listed, but average ECs in high school. She got great grades again in college, but never considered transferring.)

She had a great student experience — WashU is known for fabulous food, dorms, and other amenities — and had great offers.

You may be considering a different direction that WashU can’t offer, but I wanted to share her experience.

1 Like

Columbia finally publishes a Common Data Set, so you can see what your odds might have been last year. Section D lists the transfer applications and acceptances, which had an admit rate of 11.3%.

You are set to start in Sept at a great college, and all you can think about is how to get into Columbia, from which I assume you were rejected?

Please, focus on starting at Wash U. Forget about transferring, for right now. Set yourself up to get the highest possible grades in the field that you’re interested in, plus if there are clubs or organizations that would give you leg up in that field, get involved in those too. This will give you the most options for internships, etc, but also would give you your best chance at transferring in the future, if that is still what you’re determined to do. You’re probably not going to be able to transfer to Columbia, but Fordham might be a possibility, maybe even NYU if you don’t need fin aid. And a master’s degree from Columbia might be in your future, too.

2 Likes

I cannot predict the future. Nobody can. So take your shot.

But I can virtually guarantee you that the best way to be miserable at Wash U is to walk in planning to transfer to Columbia. That’s a promise.

Do you want to be miserable? That’s a choice you get to make.

7 Likes

You haven’t even started college yet.

You will need excellent lets of rec from professors, a high gpa and good ECs to transfer to Columbia. I will be difficult to get those things if you go to WUSTL with a mindset that you are definitely transferring out before you even get started. Remember too that the transfers apps will be due probably in mid March.

It’s obviously not impossible, but going in determined to leave won’t help you.

2 Likes

I agree with the advice here. College is kind of like dating. Love the one that loves you back :slight_smile:

1 Like

Washington U is an awesome school in a nice area of St. Louis, pretty close to the free zoo and a plethora of dining options. The campus is lovely.

Did you have a rough day in school? Traipse over to the zoo and discuss it with the zebras. If nothing else, it would comprise great exercise and a chance to blow off some steam.

I recommend that you go there with the intention of giving it a fair chance.

2 Likes