Transfer to school with strong Jewish community

Hi everyone. My kid is thinking about transferring from his T30 SLAC which has become uncomfortable for openly Jewish students due to a very large SJP presence and faculty support and small Jewish population. He will likely have a 3.3 college GPA at the end of the term and a 34 ACT from high school. Lots of clubs and activities but nothing unusual. What kind of colleges would be realistic with those stats for transfer? Must have a large Jewish community.

1 Like

Does he want an LAC, or open to larger schools? Are you applying for financial aid or will you be full pay?

Open to larger schools now, full pay.

Is he a first year or second year? Beyond the 34 ACT, what were his HS stats (unweighted GPA and rigor)?

Desired major? Location constraints?

I would start with identifying safeties. U Delaware, Bing, Indiana U, Michigan State, Pitt, Miami Ohio, U Denver, College of Charleston, Clark could all work.

Targets, maybe reaches, depending on major/school he would be applying to: Tulane, U Miami, Brandeis, U Mass Amherst.

Other LACs: Muhlenberg, Union, Sarah Lawrence

But…there are so many options. He will be desirable as a transfer with a 3.3 because he is male and is full pay.

3 Likes

Location ideally in a warm city, but open. First year. High school GPA was 3.5 UW with lots of rigor, but at a private school where that gets you into T50 colleges, ACT 34.

These are some good ideas and you give me a little hope by saying male and full pay will help. We’re even wondering if we can find anywhere for second semester now!

1 Like

Sorry to double post- the only one we wouldn’t consider is Sarah Lawrence as it has many of the same issues as the current school and has been in the news a lot lately for that.

1 Like

I’m sorry he feels he has to transfer, I am sure it’s stressful. It’s getting tight to transfer for spring…have him open up a common app transfer account (different than what he used for HS apps as a rising first year). He should be able to see deadlines for spring semester apps (at schools that have that option).

Definitely look at U Miami, College of Charleston, Tulane, Elon. What about Arizona? Maybe also TCU. I’ll keep thinking about it, and I’m sure some others will have good ideas too.

I hadn’t seen that about Sarah Lawrence. :worried:

3 Likes

There’s a thread on WashU starting a Spring semester transfer program - definitely something I’d consider, larger than a SLAC (and warmer than some…) and with a large, active Jewish community.

(I’ll send you a SLAC-related PM as well.)

8 Likes

The WashU deadline for spring has passed, it was Nov 15. Here’s the washU info: Application Dates & Deadlines - Undergraduate Admissions | Washington University in St. Louis

I do think WashU could be on the list for Fall 2024 as a reach.

4 Likes

Thanks

Thanks for the idea. Sounds like we’re a bit late.

1 Like

For U Delaware it looks like priority deadline for spring transfer was Nov 1. Transfer applicants are evaluated and notified by mail on a rolling basis beginning October though so I imagine if space they’re still accepting applications?

2 Likes

I think that’s when the transfer common app is available. I think the deadline is Dec 11.

4 Likes

You are right, thanks for the correction! Definitely worth a shot for OP, if it’s a school her S would be interested in.

3 Likes

I agree. Especially since it’s newly opened. May not have as many applications?

Agreed. And WashU has always liked full pays, and clearly prefers them for this new pathway.

2 Likes

For all schools whose transfer deadline has passed, but you are interested for spring. Call the dean’s office, explain the circumstances, and ask for an exception. I have been hearing that in light of the circumstances, exceptions are being made.

11 Likes

I believe the Boston University spring transfer deadline is Dec 15.

4 Likes

Mid size university in a warm city with a large and active Jewish presence: Tulane (44% Jewish).
Ok, New Orleans is hot more than warm :wink: But kidding aside, being male would be a huge advantage at Tulane.

5 Likes

Are there any schools he did get accepted to that he could reach out to and ask about transfer now?

Other schools to consider: Indiana U, Tulane, George Washington, Brandeis, Syracuse, LIU Brooklyn, Binghampton, SUNY Purchase.

2 Likes