Transferring to UMich

in-state. i’m probably not going to get into umich ann arbor, but i really want to go there—i’m considering trying to transfer in. is it easier to transfer in from MSU, or umich dearborn (showing interest in umich as a whole?)? i know dearborn’s a commuter though, which also factors in since i’d rather go to msu if there’s no chance of transferring at all.

better from MSU, especially if Honors

Let’s go back to your initial thread - how will you afford it given $35k over four years and not qualifying for True Blue. Need to have that discussion with your folks.

Hopefully you get to a school, love it and stay four years - even if Dearborn. Transferring in is not easy anywhere as you give up what you gained the previous two years and have to start fresh. Obviously from a CC you have to do this.

See the transfer guide. Take a rigorous schedule, get a 3.8 and cross your fingers. At where - not sure it matters whether a two or four year.

But you may talk to a transfer advisor up front, they might help guide your schedule to ensure it’s the type they want to see.

Good luck.

https://admissions.umich.edu/transfer-brochure

In general I think it is a terrible idea to start one college with the intent of transferring out. This will stand in the way of your making meaningful friendships, developing relationships with professors, and getting involved on campus. Then if your transfer doesn’t work out as planned (either in terms of acceptance or affordability) you will be really stuck. I’d go to the college you enroll in with the intent of staying all four years. It is fine to throw in a couple of transfer applications but don’t count on it working out.

3 Likes

Choose the college where the courses are best accepted for transfer subject credit at University of Michigan. You can take a look here: https://transfercredit.ugadmiss.umich.edu/

Ordinarily, a student intending to take the transfer pathway should consider starting at a community college whose courses are accepted for subject credit at the target school, but University of Michigan can be limited in terms of accepting transfer subject credit even from Michigan community colleges.

So talk with a transfer advisor now. They will let you know which schools have better pathways for transferring. MSU honors is a great opportunity. You might just stay there.

But, Michigan is extremely picking on what classes they will accept especially in Math and Science so just don’t look up the class as above but work out a plan with a transfer advisor. You best chance of being accepted is also as a junior with 55 credits and up. Look up the rules since there is a limit also.

Good luck.