Travel on holidays from UM to the Northeast

<p>D is very interested in UMiami. We have been talking about how we would handle travel should she decide to go to school in FL if she were to get in (we are from NJ area). Looks like UM gets a week off for Thanksgiving-is it safe to assume the place clears out for that holiday in addition to winter and spring breaks? Just trying to gauge how many round trip tickets to think about. I know flights in and out of Miami/Newark at the holidays must be really expensive and possibly hard to come by if not booked early? Thoughts from anyone with any UM travel experience? The travel part is weighing somewhat on D's mind.</p>

<p>Also, do kids feel put out if parents don't fly down for parents weekend at UM? </p>

<p>Thanks. </p>

<p>I think parents weekend is most important freshman year and after that its more “why are you coming?” We didn’t go last year and it was fine. In addition to the times you mention there is a fall break in Oct which is a 4 day weekend that the place pretty much clears out. D said Stanford was pretty empty last year over that weekend. Nobody, but a very few internationals, stays over Thanksgiving since they recently made it a full week break.</p>

<p>I already have booked all the first semester flights for the upcoming year using frequent flyer miles. Its easier to get direct flights for the least amount of miles if done early. The Sunday after Thanksgiving going back is the only trip that takes more than minimum miles. </p>

<p>Son will be a sophomore at UM. We did not travel for parents weekend since we knew we wouldn’t see him because of his marching band activities. There are many parents that don’t go for parents weekend but pick another weekend. We visited over UM’s fall break and there were still lots of students on campus so it’s not a complete ghost town. There are some opportunities for students to travel as a group to other areas in south Florida.</p>

<p>The week-long Thanksgiving break makes traveling much easier since you have flexibility on dates. Last year, it was a home football game (marching band required) the Saturday before Thanksgiving so our S flew home on Sunday. He flew back to Miami Saturday evening after Thanksgiving so avoided that dreadful Sunday travel mess. There were other Miami students on his flight and many at the Miami airport when he landed so lots of students head back a day earlier. After a week in the COLD, I think many students are eager to get back to the warmth of Miami!!!</p>

<p>Lots of students stay on campus or in the Miami area over spring break. For many students, traveling home means a return to cold/snow. </p>

<p>I can’t speak to the cost of flights in/out of Newark but we have been pretty fortunately to get some decent pricing in/out of the Midwest. Also consider the Ft. Lauderdale airport. UM runs shuttles to FLL during holiday periods and lots of students arrange group transportation to/from campus. There is an active parents group on social media and the parents do coordinate some travel - lots of students from the Newark/NYC/Long Island area. </p>

<p>The Metro (train) has a stop right across from campus that goes directly to the Miami airport which is very convenient if your student isn’t lugging lots of luggage. When we have traveled to Miami, I much prefer flying in/out of FLL - less chaotic and most car rentals are right at the airport vs. having to take a shuttle to a huge parking lot on the outskirts. Car rental return also very easy at FLL.</p>

<p>Highly recommend having your child get GOES clearance (Global Online Enrollment Center). <a href=“https://goes-app.cbp.dhs.gov/main/goes”>https://goes-app.cbp.dhs.gov/main/goes&lt;/a&gt;. Not a guarantee that you always get the expedited TSA line but most often you do. Having GOES clearance has saved my son a lot of time in the security line at the airport - important during holiday times. Many other Miami parents have said the same thing. Last December, my son said it saved him 25 minutes in the security line since he was able to time it with some classmates that traveled to the airport with him but who didn’t have the authorization for the expedited TSA line.</p>

<p>Thank you both for the very detailed information-what a help!!</p>

<p>I don’t recall my Long Island son ever coming home for Thanksgiving. He’d go to a friends house in Florida and then I believe he’d study as it’s so close to finals. I also don’t remember them getting a week off though. ( I think they got Weds-Sun or Thurs - Sunday. </p>

<p>The week at Thanksgiving is fairly new at UM and allows for quite a bit of flexibility to avoid the peak travel days.</p>