Tuition Exchange for Fall 2021 Applicants

So here’s a follow up question you or someone else may know—At several TE schools D25 has been offered decent merit (but no TE yet). These schools want her to try for even bigger merit by filling out more paperwork, writing essays, interviewing, etc. I’m assuming, possibly incorrectly, that the dept. awarding merit is different than the one awarding TE but does being in the running for a big merit award hurt your chances for TE or vice versa? Or, conversely, can a student use the fact that they qualified for a big merit award as ‘proof’ that they are ‘worthy‘ of TE if they weren’t initially offered it?

1 Like

Definitely fingers crossed! Is your daughter applying regular admission to both?

@DofAlumni Yes, RD to both Mt Holyoke and Skidmore. She would have like to applied to Skidmore ED but we will need the TE to be able to do Skidmore so she did RD. Does your daughter have a top choice? It’s going to be a long few months waiting to hear! Good luck!

I definitely would pursue merit as you wait on TE. Beyond the merit recognition itself being valuable, the extra effort demonstrated by doing more supplements strikes me as a definite plus.

I imagine there really is no right or wrong answer to your question. My daughter was in the same situation for one school she applied to. However we ruled it out as geographically it was just too far from home for travel purposes. It seems wise to apply for the bigger merit but on the other hand I know for my daughter it would be a major PIA to write more essays/ interviews with everything else on her plate… I would follow your kid’s lead if they are up for this or not and how important are these schools. Good luck!

Hi. Our home school finally approved us for TE before the holidays. I was wondering if you are finding that the colleges your teen has applied to has updated the portals to reflect that they received TE? Or does that not appear on the portals?

Also, wondering your thoughts if D21 should email the admission contact of her #1 choice and say something like the school is her first choice and she will commit to the school if she receives TE. She wont get merit at this school and our EFC is too high for need based aid. She would have applied ED but we couldnt risk not getting TE. Or, is this type of email too pesky and leave it alone?? (I tend to be a pesky mom, LOL!)

I would email if I were you. That doesn’t strike me as pesky. Seems like straightforward and valuable information. I don’t think I’d comment on anything other than it’s #1 with TE.

@MIP750 Thanks, sounds like good advice! :grinning:

Yes, I would email, both the admission contact as well as the TE liaison (this will be listed on the TE site).

My DD’s top choice is Mount Holyoke although she won’t admit it! Skidmore is in her top five too. Here’s hoping for good news!

Congratulations!!

Has anyone officially gotten TE for this year yet? Are you, the parent, notified that your student got it via a letter or email or does your student find out via their school portal?

@foolfortravel Good question! Wondering the same! :grinning:

@DeeCee36 Thank you!

So glad to find this thread! Applying TE to:
LMU (top choice)
U San Diego (close second)
Santa Clara
Syracuse
Boston College (FACHEX- reach school)
USC (but it’s a reach school)

Interesting idea to email the admissions officer and the TE folks about top interest status- thanks! I have heard that Syracuse generally gives TE to applicants who are accepted.

Does anyone have a sense of timing? Sounds like Case Western acts early, but no clear sense of when these other schools might respond… TE is a big deal in the decision making process!

1 Like

I had heard that Syracuse was giving out a set rate to all TE applicants (who were admitted) but that it was still a bit costly as it didnt cover full tuition? That was 2 years ago though and not sure what the current situation with the pandemic, etc is.

I think the school could make my sons list and curious if anyone has current TE financial data.

Yes, according to the TE website, Syracuse offers set rate ($39K for next year, I believe). Many schools only offer set rate, which falls short of full tuition costs. They do say that they offer it to all students who qualify, though.

“Syracuse University approves all students for a Tuition Exchange award who are certified by their home institution, PROVIDING THEY ARE ADMITTED AS FULL TIME UNDERGRADUATE STUDENTS THROUGH THE NORMAL ADMISSIONS PROCESS.”

My S was notifed in his admission letter from Case Western. However, when I check the TE portal it still says awaiting import school decision.

I have heard that Syracuse allows stacking, meaning some kids may get additional scholarships on top of TE. However, I am not sure if that is still the case and/or when they let kids know.

1 Like

We just heard that Furman does not stack Tuition Exchange on top of merit scholarships so that’s sad for us…