Tuition Exchange for Fall 2023 (Class of 2027)

Congratulations! Do you know how many student applies and how many receives TE at Duquesne? This for my DD25.

I don’t know how many applied but Duquesne in the “less than 10%” grouping. If there is any additional intel in the letter, I’ll let you know when he shows it to me.

That would be hard to turn down! I was fixing to apply to a position at Pitt and that would have been a great benefit, but another position came through in the meantime. My kid, like yours, will have a hard time turning down the great deal he’ll get at that institution. The remission/aid is a little more complicated for that one, but will likely be his cheapest option.

He’s basically ruled out Case due to the cost. He was deferred to RD, and though an affordable offer is possible (since their aid can be so generous), he’s mentally written it off as too pricey. I believe they have stacked aid on TE in the past (??) but I don’t know what to predict this year.

1 Like

My son also got in Case. The TE offer was stated on his acceptance letter. Other than TE, no additional merit. This is the policy stated on the Case Financial Aid website: Tuition Exchange Scholarships cannot be used in combination with any other scholarship offered by Case Western Reserve University, and the awarding of a Tuition Exchange Scholarship supersedes any other scholarship offer. (https://case.edu/financialaid/undergraduates/tuition-exchange-program/imports)

2 Likes

Well bummer. I think I remember reading that policy but for some reason I thought there was some stacking, at least in previous years. I could have been confused because I expect them to stack need-based aid on top of TE, should my kid get it. The merit + need aid estimate from the NPC met our EFC (and then some), so I think that’s why it was in my head that way.

Thanks for the helpful info and congrats to y’all if it’s an affordable option!

Case has jacked price up so much and then handed out incredible amount of merit (aka discount) to a lot of kids. At face value, the tuition is 64k, which is more expensive than most of the T20 schools. Then, housing and meals are priced at 18k/yr, which is even higher than BU and USC (both of those are at 17k for 23-24). Seriously, since when Cleveland becomes a place to live more expensive than Boston or LA? Even with TE or the 43.5k merit quite a number of kids reported to have received in the Case thread, it is still a very expensive school. More importantly, it leaves one with a bad taste.

5 Likes

My daughter also got TE at Case but since they seem to not provide funding beyond the set rate, it’s hard to see how it works for us. We’re fortunate that she also got TE plus additional merit aid at Emerson to cover the full cost of tuition, so that’s now looking like her top choice. Case has a lot of great programs but financially out of reach without debt.

3 Likes

Negotiate how? To have free room and board too? That would be nice.

1 Like

We decided not to apply to Case and a lot of TE schools because the set rate still doesn’t make it affordable.

2 Likes

True. If I had know more about the fact that they didn’t stack with any other supplementary aid I would have told her to take it off the list.

1 Like

Congratulations on TE plus merit at Emerson! DD25 is considering Emerson so it’s good to know that there is the possibility of additional merit aid on top of TE. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

We’re so happy that it came through for her! It wasn’t on our radar at all and one of the reps that came to her high school apparently was very persuasive. We’re going to visit in early April and I hope it’s a good fit after the visit. Good luck to your DD25. My son is graduating that year and has his eyes on Seton Hall and Bard so i’m hoping lightening will strike twice for us with TE.

1 Like

Haha, that’s how I feel. We visited Emerson this past summer just because we were in Boston and my daughter loved the city and Emerson. I think it’s a great place for creative people.
Would you be willing to share your daughter’s stats, ECs and intended major? If not, that’s totally understandable.

Not sure about everything, but she’s got really strong grades and scores. At least seems like that to me? Other than her freshman year with the pandemic she’s been at all As. ACT was 33, SAT 1470. Lots of leadership roles in the school ECs and community stuff. The major she picked is a new one, Health and Social Change Policy, so a bit different than the performing arts focus at Emerson.

Thank you for your response. Doesn’t hurt to ask so I think that’s what she will do and go from there.

Thank you for responding. It’s so hard to turn down for sure!

Thanks for the information! Great stats and perhaps being interested in a major other than their niche performing arts helps. DD25 is interested in Marketing Communication so maybe that is to her advantage. Good luck with your campus visit in April!

1 Like

This is great to know for future parents and students. So few stack TE and merit.

Congratulations!

My friend attended Emerson and loved her experience. :blush:

2 Likes

Hi! Has anybody heard regarding FACHEX or TEP for fall of ‘23? Do these offers generally come with the regular financial aid offer , or is it separate?
Thank you, and good luck to everyone!

1 Like

Yes we were absolutely surprised when we found out. It really has been the silver lining of an otherwise disappointing TE process. She’s still got a few more outstanding apps , both TE and non, but this one is hard to beat!