Tuition Exchange for Fall 2023 (Class of 2027)

Would anyone who receive TE from Pitt be willing to share stats? My D hasn’t heard anything yet.

My son received a FACHEX tuition exchange grant from Fairfield. The information said he was supposed to find out in March, but he was actually informed in January. It had no connection to the regular financial scholarship/aid process. In fact, we more recently received the normal letter and the FACHEX wasn’t listed :crazy_face:

There are other FACHEX schools that we are still waiting on.

1 Like

Son has 35 ACT, 3.96 uw/4.7w GPA, Eagle Scout, baseball thru JV, Board 1 Chess (Captain), member of a top scholastic bowl team, Math Team top scoring member, 11 APs and 4 DEs, part time job…

Separate. Read through the most recent posts for award info.

My son’s stats: 4.6 weighted GPA, 1460 SAT, 7 APs + 7 dual enrollment. All As in classes and AP Exams 4s and 5s; he has 3 or 4 ECs with leadership roles and excels in one (state’s top award); 3-year varsity sport and part time job. His essay was OK but not exceptional. Applied in August, admitted in October, TE notification came Feb 1.

1 Like

This is a good question, I would love to know if someone knows of a TE resource like that. I suspect that the answer is no. I agree that it is a cumbersome process to look up information on niche and ipeds (or whatever you use) and crosscheck with the TE site.

Thanks!

Stats:
GPA: 4.0/4.8
Act: 34
Strong ECs with leadership, advocacy, PT job
APs: 11
(Tests taken so far–one 4 and the rest 5s)
Personal essay: unique and thoughtful, IMO

Applied in September, accepted October (OOS)
Received TE award from Pitt in February

• For future Pitt TE applicants: Pitt states that they look at weighted GPA and don’t consider test scores as part of their review. (Unsure if this might change if they aren’t TO next cycle.)
1 Like

36 ACT (they say they don’t look at test scores but not sure I believe it), 4.0 UW from top 10 Boarding School. Pre-professionally trained ballet dancer (pretty much her only EC and they just got rid of their dance program or put it on hold).

Do you mean Pitt doesn’t look at test scores for TE? They certainly do for admission and merit money. Are you thinking about AP scores?

Pitt is TO. That means they look at SAT/ACT scores if you submit them, but it won’t count against you if you don’t. They are not test blind. Is the TE policy different?

The Pitt TE site states that they do not use SAT/ACT in the review process.
Eligibility
We award a limited number of Tuition Exchange Scholarships every year to incoming first-year students. In the 2022-2023 academic year, we received 500+ applications for these limited spaces, so please be aware that this is a very competitive process. We evaluate students based on their weighted grade point average, the rigor of curriculum (AP/IB/Honors courses), and class rank (if applicable). In addition, various non-numerical, holistic factors, as presented in the personal statement or Common Application essay, that describe the candidate’s background are also a part of the review process. These holistic factors allow for a diverse and multi-talented student body. Holistic criteria may include exceptional and unique talents; commitment to community service and leadership; significant family, job, or community responsibility; and contributions to cultural, economic, or racial diversity. Please note, SAT/ACT results are not used in the scholarship review process.

2 Likes

Thank you.

Do you know if they recalculate the GPA?

23 has a 4.3 yet the highest they can get at school is a 4.4. I assume Pitt takes the school profile into consideration.

I would hope that Pitt recalculates GPA in order to try and make it fair, but I really don’t know. (According to their site, their merit awards are also determined based partially on weighted GPAs.) May want to reach out to them and let them know about the way 23’s school calculates GPA so you can be sure? (They were very responsive when my D23 emailed them.)

The only other related Pitt TE info I can add is in the below link. Most of the article’s content isn’t all that relevant to this thread, but it did mention goal of using same merit award criteria in their TE review. Also talked about distributing 20-25 TE awards per year, which is more than I actually thought.

Good luck and hope you get more definitive answers!

https://www.utimes.pitt.edu/news/saaa-committee-mulls

1 Like

Thanks. That’s helpful.

I wonder why the TE decision has different criteria than admissions and merit. Seems odd to follow a separate process. I would love to know their reasoning behind this.

My daughter’s current school (2 years), does not have weighted grades. So they must be taking the school profile into account.

That’s only 5%. So sounds about right.

1 Like

I was just learning about the honors college and Chancellor’s Scholarship at Pitt - this group seems like the target for that award. Will they be considered if they have been awarded TE? Truly impressive group here, my second child will likely not have a shot at TE at Pitt, she is “top 10%” not “top 1%” like all the kids you have mentioned here. Not that she would ever want to attend the same school as her brother lol.

There are some other TE schools that are also in the < 10% but give out far less. For example, BU gives out just 10 TE awards each year. By that comparison, Pitt giving out 20-25, sounds generous:) I guess it’s all relative!

My daughter did not apply to the honors college, tried to get her to but she was sick of essays. So is not eligible for the chancellor’s scholarship. Pitt is local to us and is her first backup choice. She would prefer a non-urban campus. She is awaiting 2 more TE schools, but would need additional stacking scholarships for one, and the other has a full tuition merit scholarship that she would need to win (TE would still leave 20k in tuition).

Yeah, we took Villanova off the list when they sent a letter saying they might not even have any for Freshmen this year, that current students had priority.

3 Likes