Tutwiler - lofting bed & headboard

<p>Well, bought all of the supplies, cut every piece, painted. WHEW! Tomorrow mock it up and trace out the headboard part to cushion and cover. Take apart. Take to T-Town in less than 2 weeks and assemble in her room. </p>

<p>Materials we used:
4 - 1x8’s grade 1 lumber (can use 1x10’s for more depth)
1 - 8x8 wafer board (for the back and cut to fit)
1 - 12’ cove trim cut into 3 4’ sections
1 - package batting
1 - 2 yards material
1 qt primer
1 gallon paint
paint brush
paint roller</p>

<p>Total cost of every single thing was just at $150 incl plastic sheet to paint on, screws, finnish nails. You can do it for less if you use particle board. We opted for grade 1 lumber as we have 2 kids that can use. Particle board can break too easy. The grade 2 had way too many knots and notches in it. Using 1x10’s would have added about $25. </p>

<p>Cut 2 of the 1x8’s to 7’ for the sides
whole thing will be just at 4’ wide. Top piece will stretch across both sides.
2 shelves with the lower shelf having a center section for extra support.
Cove trim to put on the front of the shelves to make it more “pretty”.
Will use staples to attach batting and fabric to the part that will be the headboard. </p>

<p>Sure beats $250 to rent one for just 1 year!
Thought about having the fabric monogramed but decided against.<br>
I will post pics of everything when it is all done. </p>

<p>Still may decide to attach a surge protector outlet to the outside of one side. Will do that when we arrive and assemble there. If you are really handy with electrical things you could add an overhead light to the bottom shelf for using while sitting in bed reading.</p>

<p>Question about lofting the bed in Tut (never in a million years did I think I’d be asking that question) – are you allowed to use your own loft? If yes, does someone have the dimension of the bed? Reason I ask is that we have a gorgeous oak dorm bed loft in our garage rafters that my uncle built for his D when she went to college, son #1 used it, UA son #2 doesn’t need it. If someone in the Chicago area can use it, they can pick it up and have it - but I don’t want to offer it up until I know it will work.</p>

<p>I know the bed size is 36x75 for Tut. The ceilings are low. Not sure about being able to loft yourself.</p>

<p>Even though I don’t have a student in Tut (or a D for that matter) I think these projects are really neat! I made a wallboard for my son’s room last year out of pegboard and it turned out pretty good. I used magnetic primer paint and a thin coat of finish so that items could be held on the board with those clothespin magnets, etc. Works fairly well.</p>

<p>No, you are not allowed to use your own loft. The only lofts allowed in residence halls are those provided by Collegiate Bed Loft.</p>

<p>Update, easy to install once we got there and got it all in the room. </p>

<p>What would I do different? Do not make it as wide. I’d make it 3’6". We went by pictures we saw and it appears others made it the same width as us. D posted pics of her room once it was all done and she received lots of “where did you get that” and “how cool”.</p>

<p>Do you remember how wide you made it? The ones we did are 43". Is space the problem with them? I know Tutwiler doesn’t have much room!</p>

<p>We made it 48" wide. A bit too wide for the beds that go against the long wall as it does stick out a bit too much. I’ll try and get pictures uploaded and post soon. The bed that goes against the wall with the window will not be snug against the wall so it may not be as big of a deal. It also makes it a bit harder to ziptie tight to the bed frame. We had to use 3 zipties connected to reach all the way around the frame and the hole we drilled thru the bookcase. D put her standup tower fan in the extra area on the side between the bookcase and bed. She has the bed against the long wall.</p>

<p>OH, Tut parents, be prepared to move furniture. They have all furniture in this placement:
both beds against the long wall, desk between them, fridge/micro combo between the door and bed. Most girls want one bed along the wall where the window is and the fridge/micro and 2nd desk in the area between the 2 beds. </p>

<p>Another thing, the electrical outlets are all about 36" up the walls. Make sure your surge protecter strip has a long cord. The one is right smack behind the padded area of D’s headboard. It’s in a great spot for those that are handy with electrical work and build in small lights into a headboard bookshelf. I really would have liked to attach an electrical strip to the inside leg of the bookshelf near the bottom to mount it and have it somewhat out of they way and handy. As for the number of electrical outlets there were 3 on the walls (1 on the wall by the door and 2 on the long wall), one in the mirror above the built in drawers and I believe there was one by the built in desk but can not swear on that one.</p>

<p>Thanks for the info! I’ll be sure and check the surge protector today, and tell DH to be sure and pack zip ties.</p>

<p>TxNewCollegeMom were you able to post pics of the headboard you made?</p>