TV- dorm

<p>what size TV’s are supplied in the dorms- S is in Lakeside</p>

<p>There aren’t any TVs supplied in the dorm rooms. We thought about sending one with our daughter, but they never had much time to watch TV anyway. I think many of the common areas have a TV. Are you asking about the common areas on each floor?</p>

<p>ok thanks- that’s what i thought- someone sent me a UA dorm list but part of it was what the student took and i was confused</p>

<p>If you do send a TV for your student’s room, you may want to purchase one that has the ability to be used as a monitor. My youngest son probably will do that before he attends college. It would give him a larger view of his work when hooked up to a laptop.</p>

<p>Momreads suggestion is good one. That’s what ds has done. Also want to be sure student holds onto box for easy, safer summer storage.</p>

<p>DS is going to have a 22" monitor in his room he can connect to his laptop and use for homework, or stream Hulu or Amazon Prime.</p>

<p>He’s also going to bring our 32" for the living room, unless one of the other boys has a newer, larger set. (He’s still waiting to hear from his local and Atlanta roommates.) Worst case, if it turns out they don’t need it in the living room, we’ll bring ours home Labor Day or Family Weekend.</p>

<p>thx- I was talking about living room- plan to send our large one that’s not used anymore- didn’t think about one for computer- good idea…</p>

<p>Last year one of son’s roommates brought a TV (not sure of the size but a small, nice one) for the living area. </p>

<p>My deal with son was I would bring his xbox and small TV for his dorm room Family Weekend…this “required” him to get out and do stuff and learn to study without being able to just go into his room, close the door and play xbox…it really worked out well and even he admitted that is was a good idea (after the fact). </p>

<p>Just thought I’d share the idea with you :)</p>

<p>Is cable or DIsH TV provided?</p>

<p>Cable is provided through a custom provider with a campus-specific channel lineup. It is NOT Comcast/DirecTV/Dish. There is no true “HD” and frankly, the picture quality kinda sucks. It is about 100 channels I do believe. I have a PDF of the channels, PM me if you want it. I think it is also available on the main UA site if you search for it.</p>

<p>The cable provided is a UA-specific setup with content coming from DirecTV. Some of the channels display the DirecTV logo. HD is only on specific channels. To get a TV signal, one simply connects the TV to the cable jack in the wall, no cable box required. There is no charge for television service. Previously, UA had provided Comcast digital starter service for free with HD and premium channels available for an additional charge. This change allows students to watch Bravo, HBO, and several international channels for free while losing OnDemand and several music channels.</p>

<p>A channel lineup can be found at [Cable</a> Television Information](<a href=“http://financialaffairs.ua.edu/aux_svcs/vending/cable_television.htm]Cable”>http://financialaffairs.ua.edu/aux_svcs/vending/cable_television.htm).</p>

<p>I don’t want to appear argumentative or split hairs here, I just want people (that this matters to - HD enthusiasts like me) to realize that the Cable TV system for the residence halls is an analog system and the channels are NOT really what I would call “true HD”. Just because the source is delivering it in HD does not mean that the resulting picture quality is HD, because it is not. I wasn’t aware Comcast previously provided service, and it would (in my opinion) be better if it did because then there would be MANY more channels available and better picture quality could result.</p>

<p>Again, I realize that for many, this will not matter. But, if you are the type who has become accustomed to a fantastic HD experience, you won’t see it replicated in the halls unless an upgrade occurs. In other words, I wouldn’t invest in a new TV for your student, because for television service, a new display will not be able to take advantage of the programming currently offered.</p>

<p>If however, your student is like mine, video games and netflix are more of a priority than live TV. In that case, a better display can be an advantage.</p>