TV for the living room in RCS

<p>Can anyone share what size TV there students have had in the living area? D would like a 46" not sure if that is too big??</p>

<p>I don’t think that will be too big at all. Those living areas are pretty huge (in relative terms) and UA supplies a nice entertainment center/stand to set it on.</p>

<p>^^ Thank you.</p>

<p>Our boys have a 46". Many students have larger (you will see the being moved in and out). We are cheap parents and that was our limit. </p>

<p>Remember to buy a co-ax cable for the TV. If it’s a smart TV and you plan to hook up a gaming system and the smart TV (or have more than one device connected to the internet), you need to buy a switch and an ethernet cable for each device as well as one to the wall. I would also purchase a surge-protector power strip.</p>

<p>Wow. I thought our 32inch was pushing it!</p>

<p>I Imagine this might be one of those gender- things…</p>

<p>Before move-in I thought the 46" might be too big. Nope. Could have gone larger and not had it look ridiculous.</p>

<p>I think that I am sending a 46" - don’t think it is a SMART TV- xbox connects red/yellow cables I think- so i just need a coax cable?</p>

<p>^ If the xBox is going to be hooked up to the internet, you need one ethernet cable.</p>

<p>Yes, in most cases coax is the only cable you will need. I know there is a wall-plate with a coax connection, but offhand I can’t remember if there is an (ethernet) network connection in the living rooms or not. I think there is, just can’t be totally sure. I am also not sure that UA permits/supports the use of a switch to connect more than one wired device to a single port. As an aside, you DEFINITELY DO NOT want to bring your own router with you (in an attempt to share devices or create your own private wireless network), as those are not permitted and can definitely degrade the WiFi performance for everyone in an already congested wireless environment.</p>

<p>If it is one of the newer “Smart TVs” it will also likely have WiFi integrated into the TV itself, or be WiFi-capable by adding a module to it. </p>

<p>You do not need any sort of set-top box for the UA cable system either. It is an analog system (alas no true HD channels at HD resolution & picture quality) but you can use a Tivo for a DVR if you have your own.</p>

<p>Sams club has a 39" Vizio that has built in WiFi. It’s a good size and the built in Wifi makes it easy to use Netflix. </p>

<p>I think it’s around $400.</p>

<p>lol…TX…that’s too small to watch football games! ;)</p>

<p><a href=“http://www.samsclub.com/sams/39-120hz-led-wifi-1080p-3-hdmi-wifi/prod9380302.ip?navAction=push[/url]”>http://www.samsclub.com/sams/39-120hz-led-wifi-1080p-3-hdmi-wifi/prod9380302.ip?navAction=push&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Sams also has a much smaller 24" Vizio with built in WiFi that I bought for my kitchen…$200
<a href=“http://www.samsclub.com/sams/24-60hz-led-wifi-whi-1080p-hdmi-wifi/prod9270204.ip?navAction=push[/url]”>http://www.samsclub.com/sams/24-60hz-led-wifi-whi-1080p-hdmi-wifi/prod9270204.ip?navAction=push&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>the above little one is White, but also available in black.</p>

<p>Very good prices for having built in WiFi</p>

<p>Hopefully the girls will not be reduced to watching games alone in their room…</p>

<p>Not with all the nice CC boys around. ;-)</p>

<p>And to think I picked up a 32" tube tv from a yard sale for $10. I guess I win the Mr. Cheap prize.</p>

<p>I’m not sure what the size of the TV was in D’s living area last year in RCW, but she reported they had to actually walk over to the TV to read any scores. She’s hoping for something bigger this year.</p>

<p>My D did not even take a tv for the summer. She is not even taking one for the fall. Her roommate is bringing one, I think it is a 20". Yes, I have the teen that does not watch tv. This coming from the mom that so wants to hook up pong on the 110" screen in the media room :slight_smile: </p>

<p>D intends to be at other venues to watch away games.</p>

<p>Well D ended up buying a 51", I hope it fits!</p>

<p>I have late-nite screen envy, right now…</p>

<p>Actually there are several HD channels on UA’s cable. It just requires a channel scan to find them.</p>

<p>They might be HD from the broadcaster, but it has been my experience that the channels are not actually in HD even though Bama “labels” them HD in the lineup.</p>

<p>Here is a novel approach… No TV. There really are students who find TV a distraction, and would rather do without one. In addition, a large screen TV usually comes equipped with larger and louder speakers. I can assure you that when one of the suitemates needs to study or sleep, and needs quiet time, the TV or gaming system will be going full swing. If you think going into your own bedroom will keep the noise down, try being in the bedroom next to the TV wall. I would hope that most suitemates would be considerate, but that does not always happen. Your student can catch most programs on their computers via Hulu or another service with a nominal fee. Sometimes, your home TV provider has a mobile app that is included in your home TV payment, and your student can use that. I would encourage students to go to the football games instead of watching them on TV, and even if they don’t have tickets, they can be social and go to one of the tailgates. Seriously, having a larger than life TV can encourage students to stay in rather than going out and making new friends or getting involved. I am not against a little “background noise” that TV’s provide, or a little entertainment, but I would prefer my student to be out and about, rather than inside their suite. Sometimes, being a little bored is a good motivator to find something new to do.
Just food for thought, and Just my opinion. This may also discourage the dreaded “freshman fifteen”. :)</p>

<p>Great advice, robotbldmom! It seems pretty hard to convince three teenage males that an Xbox setup isn’t necessary, though.</p>