Two semesters of chemistry for Engineers requirement

I’m curious for those who have gone through the first year of engineering. The current degree plans for the first year have students taking two semesters of chemistry (CHEM 107 and CHEM 102). Having looked at other engineering colleges in Texas, this is not typical. Usually you only take one semester (unless you are a ChemE). Is there an explanation for this requirement? Does anyone know if it will be changing in the future?

@bemart14 Check out the footnotes in regards to freshman chemistry classes. The chemical, biological, and something else are required to take a year of chemistry whereas the others can just take one semester of chemistry 107 which is supposedly a summary of chemistry 101 and 102. Hope I’m not looking at an outdated schedule

I looked at the EE program requirements - https://catalog.tamu.edu/undergraduate/engineering/electrical-computer/electrical-bs/#programrequirementstext - and there are footnotes on the chemistry but it’s not very clear about non chemical-ly degrees would take. I found it odd that the second semester of Freshman year had weird hours but if you remove the chemistry and replace with a general university core class, the numbers sort of add up. This is kind of what I hoped someone who went through this could clarify.

I read this as chemical and biomedical engineering require two semesters of chem lecture and lab, other engineering majors only one semester of chem lecture and lab. Both chemical and electrical engineering have 128 total required hours. Every degree has the same core curriculum requirements, so electrical has a different non-core class later in the degree plan. That first year, however, there would be room for another core course instead of more chemistry.

@bemart14 You only need one semester of CHEM 107/117 unless you plan on taking a major such as CHEN. Tha 102/112 in second semester is simply a placeholder, you do not need it if you are going for something like MEEN. (Currently a second semester freshman not in 102/112)

Thanks @Evon1254. Out of curiosity, do you think the Chem 107 class would qualify as a “weed out” class?

@bemart14 I didnt find it hard personally, but then again, I did study alot for it. I could definately see it ruining a freshman’s semester if they arent prepared for the rigor. Depending in the professor, the class can be very easy or quite challenging. On a side note, the 117 lab is much more time consuming to get an A. If you have any more questions about freshman courses hmu!

I’m curious about how hard the calculus and physics classes are if you don’t mind.

@bemart14 It not as simple as saying the class is hard or not. What is hard for one person can be easy fo another. Engineering in general is very demanding not just academically but in how your mind is trained to think like an engineer. For some it comes easier than for others.The professor you get can make all the difference. It really is a crap shoot in that regard although you can do some on line research on that. My son is finishing up his first year at the engineering academy in Brenham where they follow the TAMU curriculum. The second semester is all calculus based. Calc 2, Physics and the Engineering class. All the work is very challenging. The key to success on engineering is this: Invest the time in the daily homework/quiz. You will need those grades to lift up your test average. My son got a 37 on his first Physics test. Only 3 people passed it. He got a 74 on his next test. His class average is 86 because he is doing the daily grind of homework and quizzes. There are no “weed out” classes. The major itself is the weed out. A student will discover during the first year if engineering is right for them. If its not, that’s OK. we are all created for something. Best wishes.

@bemart14 I’m finding physics to be easy, it’s a lot of work but the class is straightforward if you are prepared. Calculus I’m finding harder but doable.