U. Colorado Class of 2027 Official Thread

Did you all apply to Boulder? Anyone Denver? And did you find out your results?!

My daughter was accepted with no merit scholarships (in-state). IB student with a weighted gpa 4.7.

Congrats! What an amazing GPA. My kid was accepted to the College of Arts & Media. We’re excited to go visit soon.

UGH that’s awful! Full price so expensive!

Looks like mine is declining… hope that helps anyone who was deferred

I did mean congratulations on acceptance but of course not about the lack of scholarships. My kid’s experience is that they have relatively little to give as a public university. You have to apply for many of their scholarships separately and it’s somewhat confusing. Not all possible funds are reflected in the acceptance letter.

1 Like

It is strange that she is getting scholarships to private, out-of-state schools that ultimately have less of an overall cost than in-state CU cost. She will probably decline CU.

2 Likes

Mine got her estimated financial package. She received about 4k a year from CU. With an estimated cost of over 60k, that just doesn’t work for us :frowning:

3 Likes

CU has become more selective to the point that our counselors caution kids against considering it a safety. CU really wants high stat kids like your daughter so it’s surprising they didn’t give her any merit. You’d think they would do more to keep high stat kids in state.

How are her ECs? The in state kids I know who got merit had typical ECs in which they demonstrated leadership and won some awards.

No merit is certainly disappointing, but your daughter has terrific stats and will have other great options.

She was part of Key Club, Amnesty International and was a peer tutor for two years and has worked part time for the last year and a half. She is an old soul and really takes her time with her academic work (as most of my family does) so she chose to really focus on her IB work rather than go all out on ECs. It probabaly hurt her a bit, but we are both happy with her approach to school and college.

2 Likes

Not really strange. Public’s don’t have the money to give. Privates have the $ and don’t care about in state or OOS. My older kid got merit $ from very expensive privates, making them cheaper than our in state options.

OOS deferred from EA, admitted a month later but not to her major, but to exploratory studies with a small $6000 merit award. Not enough to entice us away from our own state U. I wonder why they didn’t just protect their yield and reject outright? Like, no I’m not going to pay $55k a year to send my kid 1000 miles away to maybe not even get into her major in 2 years when she got better offers from better schools in several states.

5 Likes

When it comes to scholarships I think it’s up to flagship state schools to take care of their residents first. I think CU, and every school, has their own way of doing things and that’s fine. I respect that. If it helps you and your student choose between schools more easily, then they’re probably doing their job.

This is complete insantity. Decisions are out. My DD just got outright rejected and it was a pure safety. What on earth is happening?

1 Like

My son was just admitted to the business school. For stats comparison, he is OOS, has a 3.9 unweighted GPA, one varsity sport, president of a club, works a part time job as a server at a restaurant, and applied test-optional. He received the Chancellor’s Achievement Scholarship, which totals $25,000 ($6,250 per year). Now, to be honest, we’re from the Northeast and my son has a few other options, including the business school at our state university (at half the price of Boulder). However, as someone who has never been to Colorado, the campus looks beautiful and the school’s reputation is very good. Good luck to everyone.

My daughter was accepted for Computer Science today with a small merit award. We are OOS.

1 Like

We are also pretty shocked here. I thought my son could at least get exploratory studies at Boulder or pre-business, if not direct admit into Leeds itself. But nope. TBH, we probably can’t afford it anyway (OOS). But I just don’t understand how he didn’t qualify for exploratory studies at least.

My son got accepted oos, 3.9 uw, 1540 SAT, for exploratory studies but not engineering/CS. Somehow, he was not worthy of direct admit but worthy of a Presidential Scholar of $55k. Is direct admit to school of engineering/CS that difficult? Is it difficult to transfer to engineering/CS once in exploratory studies?

Good discussion of IUT transfer to engineering in the EA 2023 thread. In short, you have to take prerequisites to stay on track, and score C or higher in those courses and 2.7 overall, but if you do those things then you can transfer (not space dependent).

My son was hoping for Aeropsace and instead was admitted to Exploratory Studies. We are OOS and he has been offered a Chancellor’s scholarship for a ~$6k per year.

Today I’ve been doing a lot of reading of EA threads, reading what’s required on the web site, etc. but I have a different question that I couldn’t find. Putting aside cost, statistics about transferring into the major, etc., does anyone have insight into the social aspect of moving from Exploratory Studies to Engineering? Do the kids who were directly admitted bond in such a way that it’s harder for an ES student to join in later when they move to engineering?

I may be biased because I’ve been out of college for ~30 years and all the friends I keep in touch with were people I met the first few weeks of college; we bonded in dorms and classes. If a students bonds with others in the ES program, and then the kids get split up, that sounds rough as well. Any insights would be appreciated.

I can not find it - but there was a housing grid that showed where students can live. New this year is that they are requiring Engineering majors to live in Williams Village. I believe that Exploratory Studies can room anywhere on campus - but I’d recommend that your DS makes sure to live with other Engineering majors in the Engineering dorms.

Other than having to meet the required GPA for prereqs, I’ve heard everyone is treated similarly. They take the same classes as someone that is designated direct admit. There are pluses and negatives of making all engineering students live together of course. At first I was disappointed for my DS because I think he’d like to hang out with more than just engineers - but on the other hand I think this will be a better academic/study environment that if he was in a rowdy dorm and he will be naturally inclined to seek out more the engineer type anyways. It just puts more importance of them branching out and engaging beyond their Engineering college.

If your DS has the fortitude, I think it wouldn’t be too big an issue to transfer into Aerospace. I think he’d be in good company. The one thing I like about Boulder is that it seems to be set up so that the kids can focus on their own studies - and not be worried about scoring coveted and limited spaces if that makes sense.