U. Colorado Class of 2027 Official Thread

Wow that is a big scholarship congrats.
My D is OoS and has admit to CS I engineering school - but 0 aid.
I don’t know how to make out of this - but she did early action and her stats is similar with yours - slightly more AP.
Why big scholarship but acceptance to exploratory instead of CS ?

I know of In-state kids that had great stats - probably similar to my DS - but got Exploratory Studies vs. CS Engineering… so it’s just so hard to say. I’ve also heard of quite a few OOS with terrific stats that got Exploratory Studies… I can only think they have a set number that they feel they can admit direct - and then want to get the message across that they do like that student (scholarship) and want them to know that there is a place from them, but just that they’ll have to take a slightly different pathway? I wish schools were very transparent about their direct admit acceptance rates and overall acceptance rates to the specific colleges and majors. The over 80% acceptance rate to Boulder is misleading and frustrating for families trying to make a college list!

1 Like

Business school is pretty open about direct admits. During a visit they said 1/3 are admitted directly, 1/3 to Pre- business and another 1/3 to exploratory. However, I don’t see this posted anywhere on their website.

edit… I checked my notes its 35% Direct, 15% Pre- Business, and 50% exploratory

Is there a Business acceptance rate published? Does anyone know if the CU major acceptance rates are only for direct admits or if they include other forms of acceptance (pre-biz or exploratory for example). Maybe rates are lower than we think.

https://public.tableau.com/app/profile/university.of.colorado.boulder.ir/viz/QualComp/AdmissionsCounts

Business acceptance rates for fall 21’ were 54% and Fall 22’ were 56%. This is in-line with the approximate 50% (of all admits who applied to business and were accepted) admitted to business or prebusiness. The overall university admission rate is still right around 80% for both of these years and I am doubtful that Business has this much lower of a rate than the entire university? I suspect the remaining admits fall into exploartory.

Ooh

CU Boulder publishes more information on this front than any other that I know of. They publish admissions data with filters on: school, major, residency, gender, race, first-gen status. As well, they publish academic stats of applicants and admissions outcomes with the same filters. That should be the norm, IMO, as it gives students a better gauge of acceptance probability. Why is this level of detail needed for an accurate picture? Because the outcomes are significantly different depending on these factors. For example, CU pumped a ton of money into that gleaming new Aerospace Sciences building… they rightly want in state students to benefit. Aerospace trends male, so if they want a fair number of girls enrolled, they need to accept more (as the yield rate for girls is lower). The result? OOS boys applying to aero were accepted at 37% in 2022. In-state girls? 98%. Having this information helps kids accurately classify schools as safe/likely, target, and reach. I wish more schools would be AS transparent as CU.

Do you have a link for that information?

2 Likes

Does anyone know if all scholarship announcements have been made by CU Boulder? Are there any that will come through after now?

Anyone receive an invitation to apply to the Global Engineering Community RAP today? Wondering if this email was sent to all prospective engineering students, or if this is related to pending decisions on Engineering Honors Program.

Received it

2 Likes

Same with my older siblings. They’re both at elite privates and it costs less than CU (OOS) even after they gave him $25k Presidential scholarship. If you have demonstrated need, privates can be the way to go!

Not even for demonstrated need. Privates give merit awards that are far better than OOS publics. One of my kids spent less going to SMU than my other kid will spend at any OOS public (even with WUE!) and about the same as our in-state public.

2 Likes

What is RAP? Is it an invite only program? Son admitted to College of Engr (OOS).

RAP stands for Residential Academic Program. Looks like the Global Engineering RAP is invitation only. But there are other RAPs that are open to everyone. My D14 enjoyed being part of the Sewall RAP during her freshman year. She was able to take seminar-style classes in her dorm. Faculty offices are located in the residence hall so it’s easy to drop-in with questions.

Being part of the RAP was a positive experience and comfortable segue into college life. It also encouraged my daughter to become more active in residential life (e.g. house council, hall events, etc).

Is CU requiring engineering students live together in Williams Village?

That’s what I read on their housing portal most College of Engr students stay in Williams Village (there are two) but not sure if it is required.

As @mountainsoul said, RAP is just group with some shared quality/interest staying in the same dorm/residence. Other colleges call them something else (e.g., UW calls them Living Learning Communities… LLCs), but most schools have them these days I think. With all freshmen engineering students at WillVill, it is sort of an unofficial RAP, IMO. There are some nice amenities at WIllVill even if it is a bit separate from Main Campus and East Campus. When we were there this past weekend, we were told there would be a new bus route direct to East Campus next year; if the weather is nasty, only need to take one bus to EC rather than connect through Main.

1 Like

Has anyone received an acceptance to the Engineering Honors Program yet?