U of Miami-Communications, Business

<p>Our daughter is interested in the School of Communications, advertising or PR, and possibly the School of Business, marketing. We have looked at the website, read the Businessweek rankings and briefly spoken to representatives of the various programs. It is hard to discern the relative ranking or quality of the School of Communications. I have not found a ranking of this type of department, though I understand that the SoC is modelled after Newhouse. The new Dean of the business school is apparently very highly regarded. We would appreciate any insights regarding these Schools and how students found their experience.</p>

<p>As a parent, I have been very impressed by my student’s experience at the SBA…From special programs to numerous oportunities to excell, he has done very well…</p>

<p>Sorry that I can’t answer questions regarding the Communications department. However, the new dean of the School of Business comes directly from Wharton and is doing amazing things at UMiami. In fact, last year the university held a 2 day Global Forum with CEO’s from huge international companies such as McDonald’s, FedEx, Coca-Cola, and MANY more spoke and held discussions. They will be doing it again in 2011 and this was all organized by the office of the dean. You can count on it that I will be in the mix of all that for sure!!!</p>

<p>UMiami also has a strong financial and marketing department, so if that is the area your D is looking, I would recommend it. Go to the school and take a tour and you will be sold.</p>

<p>The Business Law department is also very strong. I minored in Business Law and my professors all practiced commercial litigation in Miami.</p>

<p>Well I’m entering the business school in the fall, and I know this.</p>

<p>You can’t double major outside of the business school. You can only double major within the business school.</p>

<p>The Dean is one of the most highly published researchers in the world. I believe 7th most published, but I’m not sure. From what I have heard from other business students is that she is very accessible. I know that I’ve been in contact with the Vice Dean and others and they have been more than helpful in assisting me.</p>

<p>There are tons of networking opportunities in the South Florida area, esp. if you attend the University of Miami. The Global Business Forum should just become bigger and bigger every year.</p>

<p>You can double major in Communications and Business, but you have to be a part of the Comm school. This doesn’t mean you won’t reap the benefits of the B-School, you’ll still be a part of whichever program in the B-School, but your advisers will be in the Comm School, you’ll graduate with the Comm School, you’ll receive a BSC instead of a BBA, etc. I don’t know how important it is to have a BBA over a BSC if you want to enter the PR/marketing field, probably not too important.</p>

<p>I’m confused now. Can you double major in Arts/Sciences and Business, or in Education and Business? It says you can on the UMiami School of Businesss Administration website, but previous poster seem to say otherwise…</p>

<p>My daughter is an incoming Freshman interested in a focus involving next-gen marketing, specifically combining a well-rounded business curriculum with visual communications and multimedia. Turned out that the walls between Business and Communications are very high at many universities. She chose U-Miami over other more selective schools to which she was accepted because U-Miami seemed to enable this combination better than most. They also had a relatively strong program in both. The problem you run into (everywhere) is that business program requirements combined with University core requirements alone consume most of your class slots. My daughter started out as a visual journalism major and found that from the communication school, she couldn’t fit all the required classes she needed for that dual degree into a four year schedule. (She wasn’t just interested in picking up marketing as a minor which I understand is popular, but the whole spectrum of business classes.) After some angst, we figured out that she would do better to transfer to the business school and pick up visual journalism classes as a minor. If she tests out of enough core classes because of AP credits she may even be able to fit in the full double major (including marketing & visual journalism concentrations) with a schedule that looks something like the one below. I include it only because it took us a long time to figure this out so hopefully it will help jump start your process. Disclaimer: This combination is theoretically possible but it is too early for us to know whether it is practically possible. Someone who is already there can perhaps can give you better insights into class availability, etc. Hope this is helpful. Best of Luck.</p>

<p>Freshman
Fall
MGT100 F.I.R.S.T. Step (Ethics)
MKT201 Foundations of Marketing
CIS150 Business Analytics
CVJ 106 Multimedia Design / Gen Ed Elective
ENG105 English Composition I */W</p>

<p>Spring
"ECO211 Economic Principles and Problems – Microeconomics (People & Society Core)
ACC211 Principles of Financial Accounting
Math (1) (or 5 on AP) MAS110 Business Calculus
CVJ 341 Web Design
ENG106 English Composition I (W)</p>

<p>Sophomore
Fall
“ECO212 Economic Principles and Problems –
Macroeconomics * (People & Society Core)”
ACC212 Managerial Accounting
MAS201 Introduction to Business Statistics MAS311
CVJ 209 Audio Visual Production
ENG230 Advanced Business Writing (W)</p>

<p>Spring
ECO302 Micro Economic Theory
FIN302 Fundamentals of Finance
“MAS202 Intermediate Business Statistics
or MAS312”
CVJ 221 Introduction to Photojournalism
Core “Humanities” Philosophy (1)</p>

<p>Junior
Fall
BSL212 Introduction to Business Law
MKT302 Marketing Research and Market Analysis
MKT403 Marketing Management
CVJ 422 Programming for Interactivity
Core “Science” (1) (or if 5 on AP, SOC Elective </p>

<p>Spring
ECO430 Applied Econometrics
CIS410 Information Systems and Technology /
CIS320?
MKT386 Advertising Management
CNJ 595 Advanced Programming
Core “Science” (2) (or if 5 on AP, Elective)</p>

<p>Senior
Fall
MGT304*** Organizational Behavior **
MKT310 Consumer Behavior & Marketing Strategy
MGT CORE ELECTIVE<em>Any course at 300 level or higher from the School of Business Administration. *</em> (Finance Elective)
CVJ 309 Database Journalism **
Core “Literature” (1) Creative Writing or Public Speaking"</p>

<p>Spring
MGT401*** Strategic Management ** (Must be taken in final semester)"
MKT360 International Marketing
MGT303** Operations Management **
CNJ 599 Adv. Projects (Team Multimedia Project) **"
Core “Fine Arts” (1) Photography</p>

<p>[Frequently</a> Asked Questions : University of Miami School of Business](<a href=“http://www.bus.miami.edu/undergraduate-programs/faq/index.html]Frequently”>http://www.bus.miami.edu/undergraduate-programs/faq/index.html)</p>

<p>They let you double major within the Business school or with the College of Arts and Science.</p>

<p>I don’t know if you applied to communications if then you can double major to the business school</p>

<p>Just to clarify my last post…The communication school requires a student to also complete a second major in an area OUTSIDE of communications, but picking up business as that second major adds so may requirements that you won’t be able to graduate in four years. However, if you look at the requirements for a communication major vs. minor, in my daughter’s case visual journalism, (and ignore the whole second major in A&S thing), the comm major and minor provide a student with virtually the same classes, except that a couple of high-level intro to communication classes are part of the major, but not included in the minor. So call it a major, a minor, a concentration, an area of interest, a skill set… whatever… as long as a student has the opportunity to take all the key classes, it becomes an exercise of crafting an effective resume. So a business major with a very full-featured comm minor (without all the second major fru-fru) seems to work pretty well for students who want to graduate with a broad exposure to general business and business strategy augmented by some specific communication skills (e.g., multimedia, advertising, PR, etc.)…at least in theory anyway. :)</p>

<p>Just throwing in my two cents about that schedule, those CVJ classes are EXTREMELY time-consuming and would probably be too much to handle combined with all of those business courses. I obviously don’t know your daughter personally, but I just graduated from the CVJ program, on the design track though, and when I was in lower-level multimedia courses, they pretty much took over my life for the semester. I have many friends who went on the multimedia track and took those upper-level courses, and they take up much more time. It’s a really great program, but you really have to be devoted to it and be willing to give up the time to take it on.</p>

<p>Also, that schedule leaves out all of the general requirements for the major, such as COM101, COM110, COM250 and CNJ111. You need 39 credits for CVJ and that schedule above only accounts for 24 of them. I believe you need 150 credits to get two degrees, so if she stays an extra year, she could get a BSC and a BBA, whereas just doubling in Comm and Business for 120 credits would give her only a BSC.</p>