Communications School

<p>My S was accepted to the communications program for broadcast journalism. We visited UMiami last Spring and were very impressed with the equipment and facilities in the department. Does anyone have any first-hand experience with the Communications school? How would you compare the program at UMiami with the ones at Syracuse U. or Boston U.? How are the internship possibilities and job placement upon graduation?</p>

<p>I would like to know that as well. My S was also accepted into Communications at UM, also considering BU, NYU, and GW. The internships are a concern, because as great as Miami is, can it compete with Boston, NY and DC?</p>

<p>My daughter attended UMiami Summer Scholar's program for Broadcast Journalism last summer. Although this is certainly different than attending during the year, she did have two very intense college courses with the faculty and got to use the facilities. There were only 16 kids in her courses. She loved it and learned so much - but came back with a strong decision that she wanted to apply to business schools not communication ones because of the current state of the industry. This decision came out of talks with the professors and field trips that they made.<br>
Umiami (which is the only one of her schools that I did not visit) was her first choice. She felt that the internships were plentiful because they were the only ones in the city that were competing for them. She applied to the Business School with a plan to minor in communications. Unfortunately it was the only one of her schools that she was not accepted in - she was waitlisted. She is still disappointed.
She was accepted at SU (double major in Newhouse and Whitman) and knows that it is an incredible opportunity for her. We have been to SU twice and know a senior in the public relations program at Newhouse. We hear that the internships are wonderful - Newhouse does open doors in the communication industry - but they tend to be in the summer. Both programs have wonderful introductory course to all majors which no other college had - and since I am having a hard time thinking that my 17 year old really knows what she wants to do at this age - I think that's a great experience.
Also, my older son is a junior at CAS in NYU. Although I believe that Steinhardt is different, we have been very disappointed that in the 3 years he has been there, he has had only 1 class that is under 50 students. This has given him little opportunity to establish relationships with the professors. He has a wonderful group of friends and loves NYC but there is definitely not the same bonding with a campus and school that I had in my college experience.<br>
Hope this helps.</p>

<p>I was wondering if anyone has experience with the Advertising major. What are the classes like, and how much interaction are there with the professors? Are there many internship opportunities? How would Advertising, or the general Communication Studies compare with the CS program at Northwestern University?</p>

<p>Bump...bump</p>

<p>I love the Comm School. The equipment and facilities we have available to us are fanatstic. I don't have any exact facts on job placement and such, but I know we constantly have alumni coming in to speak and there are a lot of opportunities for networking. As far as internships go during the school year, the only places to really intern are the Miami Herald and South Florida Sun-Sentinel, unless you're in broadcast then of course you have all of the affiliates down here. I would say for broadcast it would actually be worse to be in NY because the tv stations are so huge and I've heard from numerous people that all interns do is get coffee and make copies. For other majors, most comm students go up to NY for the summer for internships, especially in advertising, pr, and print/visual journalism. And of course LA for film majors.</p>

<p>Syracuse undoubtedly has a great Comm school, but I'd imagine there are even fewer internships available in Syracuse than there are in Miami. As far as NYU goes, I applied there as well and I know that they only have a Journalism program, not an entire SoC. Being in an SoC is a huge advantage in my opinion. There are so many more resources and opportunities than what you would find in simply a journalism major. Especially in broadcast, NYU is not going to have the studios or equipment to get hands-on experience in broadcast journalism. UM also has its own tv station and if I had to guess, NYU doesn't have that. I really don't know much about BU or GW, but I love the Comm School at UM and there is definitely a huge advantage to being in an SoC as opposed to just a journalism program.</p>

<p>My S will be majoring in broadcasting; he's specifically interested in sports broadcasting. Do you know of people interning with affiliates during the school year?</p>

<p>Yeah, I know several people who have had internships. Think about it, the only schools in Miami really are UM and FIU, and then you have Nova and FAU up in Broward. Where do you think their interns are going to come from?</p>

<p>I entered as a freshman in the broadcast journalism major wanting to be a sportscaster too haha.</p>