U of R Parent/Peer Review

Just wondering how important the Parent/Peer Review form is for purposes of admission? Has your child been accepted without it?

2 Likes

My son applied recently (via ED/accepted), and I did wonder the same thing. I read that other applicants (in prior years) were accepted without submitting this optional review so I don’t think not submitting will negatively impact an application. But, we decided to submit. My son didn’t want to ask any of his friends because they were so busy with applications themselves. So, I ended up writing it for him and found myself getting pretty emotional while doing it! I know it’s one extra thing to do, but I am appreciative that the University of Rochester gets to know applicants even better through another lens (even if it is their own mother or father!). I do truly believe it’s a holistic process on their end. Best of luck!

4 Likes

I feel like it’s a way to show demonstrated interest to UofR. Similar to CWRU, U of R sits in that position of trying to predict enrollment with a <20% yield rate. Requiring parents to spend an hour writing a response at least sends a signal that they are at least somewhat interested in attending

5 Likes

Yes, you are right! We also saw it as another way to demonstrate interest.

3 Likes

Great points all around! I’ll definitely put something together for her.

3 Likes

Remember your child isn’t being evaluated on your essay writing ability. It’s what’s said not how it is said that matters

3 Likes

Great point. I’m embarrassed to say that I actually sat on doing this for a very long time until the last day it was due. And I realize that my reason for doing so was because I thought it had to be some perfect essay. But once I let go of that thought, I just wrote what came naturally as a parent and realized they weren’t going to be judging it as a literary piece.

2 Likes

My DD did remote learning for an extra year in our district because of our family’s increased risk during the height of Covid. My elderly dad was very sick and had colon cancer. My mom has cardiac issues and my husband is over 65yo. I really wanted to share with “someone” how proud I was that DD gave up so much of her HS experience for the good of our family. This essay gave me the opportunity to toot my horn for her and even if it doesn’t help with admissions, I felt great about it.

3 Likes

Thanks all! I just submitted the form. I appreciate all of your responses!

3 Likes