U of Scranton or Quinnipiac or Saint Anselm

<p>My D was accepted in direct entry for B.S. in Nursing for Fall 2012 at the following, and hoping for anyone who can provide any inside information to help her decision on which one to go with. We are from southern new england area:</p>

<p>University of Scranton
Quinnipiac
Saint Anselm
Salve Regina
Curry
Elmira
Misericordia
Endicott (Waitlisted)
Fairfield (deferred despite applying Early action, still waiting to hear)</p>

<p>Our thoughts on each:</p>

<p>Saint Anselm: liked small individual attention (they had her and us up for an entire Accepted Nursing Student Day, and they doted on her and the other nursing students); everything on the one suburban campus, liked being a busride away from Boston and Manchester NH. Disliked the fact that they will not be moving away from their somewhat outdated core curriculum where all students have to take 3 theologies, 3 philosophies, and 4 classic Humanities classes relating to Portraits of Human Greatness. Leaves no room for any electives at all! They plan to change this for 2013 or 2014 entering Freshmen, due to frustration of students, and make it just 2 theology, 2 philosophy, and 2 Humanities, opening up electives like most other catholic colleges like U of Scranton have. She loved the campus and the food, and the down to earth nature of the kids there. Her first choice if not for the outdated non-nursing core requirements.</p>

<p>University of Scranton: did tour this summer and going back for an overnight dorm stay next week. Liked everything except for the overly compact urban campus and iffy surrounding saftey. Tons of money going into this school. New upperclassman housing now there, and new science center. Several hospitals for clinicals very close by. Somewhat smaller number of nursing students, believe it is 60 per class or thereabouts. Theology and Philosophy courses much fewer than Saint Anselm, though both are catholic colleges.</p>

<p>Quinnipiac: Liked facilities at their new North Haven campus for Nursing, but disliked idea that not a single nursing class until Junior year, and then, D would have to live on their uppperclassman campus at York Hill (although beautiful) and would then have to shuttle back to the main campus for events, and drive to the North Haven campus (still not shuttles) for her Jr / Sr nursing classes, all crammed into those two years. She did not like the idea of three campuses. Food was so-so there, seemed very crowded in the library and cafe and in the hallways (overly so) and students, especially the girls, appeared to be stereotypical preppies all dressed exactly the same. One actually was texting on a crowded sidewalk and walked straight into a lamp post in front of our tour. Our tour guide (if the best of the best?) did NOT even know that here are no shuttles from the main campus out to the NOrth Haven campus (I had to verify that through admissions later). All three campuses were gorgeous, though. Nursing facilities were the best we have seen at their new NOrth haven campus. Supposedly a great nursing program, if my D can put up with the non-nursing students who apparently are less serious about their studies, and put up with having to drive to just take a nursing class! She understands that clinicals will require a car at most campuses, but to have to drive to all your nursing classes? </p>

<p>Salve Regina: seemed like a one-trick-pony, relying on the location and mansions to sell the school. Only fair retention rate there. Did not have a traditional campus feel. Newport is dead most of the school year, so really, not much around to do. D was not sold by the hype there, though nursing program is supposed to be good. </p>

<p>Curry. Only school that offerred practically no merit scholarship $ to my D for some reason (4 times less than the other schools! Why?). Other schools were very generous, but not Curry. Academic buildings seemed lacking. Dorms were kinda grungy. Heard nursing is good there, though. Merit Money is the dealbreaker there. </p>

<p>Elmira: NOt bad, but a little too far away from New England and seemed somewhat overly fake in terms of school spirit. Surrounding area had little to offer, so seemed like the students there had to be close knit since that was all that was there. Good merit $ to everyone. </p>

<p>Misericordia. Nice quiet and clean campus. students were down to earth. Nursing facilities were a little off campus, so a shuttle drive would be needed to get there but very short drive. Lots of commuter students so dead on weekends and at night. Nice dorms. Seemed pretty quiet, almost too quiet. Good Merit $ and value there. My D thought it appeared boring, but I liked it :) </p>

<p>So, with these impressions, anyone have any recommendations or inside info to my D on these schools that she was accepted at?</p>

<p>Thanks in advance. Great forum!</p>

<p>Someone had recently posted a link to a site showing what percentage of students passed the NCLEX at PA schools. You might want to look at that. </p>

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/nursing-major/1270088-pennsylvania-rn-test-results-institution.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/nursing-major/1270088-pennsylvania-rn-test-results-institution.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>But you must consider that some schools make it difficult for students to continue in the nursing program if they are not likely to succeed (and thus unable to graduate with a BSN/take the NCLEX) while other schools push anyone through. So don’t let this be a deciding factor. Look at quantity/quality/variety of clinical hours and locations. See what kind of student support services they have if you daughter struggles in any of her courses, etc.</p>

<p>Based on your observations, I would say U of Scranton sounds the best. I know they also have the possibility of study abroad, even for nursing students, if you plan correctly. The schlepping at Quinnipiac sounds irritating, as well as the restricted curriculum at Saint Anselm, although in my experience, most nursing curriculums tend to be very restricted. </p>

<p>Would her curriculum open up as a sophomore at St. Anselm’s?</p>

<p><<would her="" curriculum="" open="" up="" as="" a="" sophomore="" at="" st.="" anselm’s?="">></would></p>

<p>Unfortunately, no, the Saint ANslem Curriculum’s requirements for 3 religions, 3 philosophies, and 4 Humanities (called Portraits in Human Greatness) pretty much close up each year.</p>

<p>As one other poster said, we will look closely at academic assistance available at each school in case she struggles in a class. </p>

<p>All of her top three choices do seem to have good nursing retention, graduation from the program, and high pass rates of NCLEX.</p>

<p>The hospitals in Scranton have all been taken over by larger entities and new investment is expected. Two adjacent hospitals were taken over by one for-profit and the 3rd by the huge Geissinger system I believe. They are all within walking distance of the campus.</p>

<p>If you can afford it, I’d pick Scranton. Misericordia would be boring. I don’t know anything about the other colleges.</p>

<p>There are some iffy blocks near U. of Scranton, but most students live on campus and probably go west to the downtown for things to do, not into those iffy blocks.</p>

<p>I believe that universities run by Jesuits (such as Scranton and Georgetown) are more liberal and less likely to require lots of Catholic theology classes than universities that are under the control of nuns or the local archbishop.</p>

<p>chalieschm, thanks for that info. She’s got an overnight scheduled there at Scranton shortly, and that should help with her decision greatly.</p>

<p>I hope you choose Scranton. I have heard so many wonderful things about this school!</p>

<p>What school did your daughter choose? My daughter is doing an overnight at u of Scranton next month</p>

<p>I don’t know much about the nursing program, but my son graduated from Scranton and we have only wonderful things to say about it!</p>

<p>Love Quinnipiac - beautiful campus, Sleeping Giant State Park, wonderful housing, and the nursing program is stellar with amazing facilities!</p>

<p>The hospitals in Scranton have now been taken over by larger entities, and are supposed to see major investments. However, the City of Scranton is in very bad financial condition, and one of the big department stores downtown just closed.</p>

<p>My D is a senior nursing student at Scranton with one semester left. We just mailed our last college tuition payment ever. :)</p>

<p>In addition to the 3 hospitals in Scranton, she has had clinical rotations at a regional trauma hospital located about 15-20 minutes away in Wilkes-Barre.</p>

<p>Her experience at Scranton has been great. The school is large enough so that she has found things to do, but not too big to get lost. By senior year the nursing students have formed very close bonds and are excited about their next steps. Her instructors have been very supportive, and the nursing program is very well respected. She has noted that the Jesuit influence adds a degree of rigor that makes it tough to get A’s. !</p>

<p>D has actually found the charm in the City of Scranton despite its financial troubles. Admittedly, she “would not want to live there forever”. That said, she is on semester break now, and actually back in Scranton for the weekend with some of her friends… (even though it is about a 6 hour drive from where we live.)</p>

<p>Hi 1sokkermom! I can’t believe she is a senior already. How time flies! As you know, one of mine is living there now and is very happy to be there. Loves the city, most of his neighbors, and the great variety of restaurants that are around. We are headed back there in February to see Jersey Boys at the Cultural Center. </p>

<p>I remember that last tuition payment - it was bittersweet as it signaled the end of the college years. But, of course, my bank account was quite happy.</p>